Guest k8bug79

State primary and religion

Guest k8bug79

Hi, I know that schools at many of the private school are very religious based, but are the state schools also? Been going through the list from DECS and none of them say whether they are or not.

I am very adamant that my children attend a school that is free from any particular religion so it will have a big deciding factor and it will affect where we look for houses. Can anyone recommend some good schools or areas that have them?

Thanks

Guest Trakki

I think that like the UK unless they are a church school they will not be ott with religion, the school ours go to, don't teach religion as such but they do cover all the different religous events of all different religions, this we like as we want our children to make their own choices like you. Best thing to do is speak to the school about this when you look round.

Guest k8bug79
    I think that like the UK unless they are a church school they will not be ott with religion, the school ours go to, don't teach religion as such but they do cover all the different religous events of all different religions, this we like as we want our children to make their own choices like you. Best thing to do is speak to the school about this when you look round.

Thanks, just perusing the list now and I got that impression, so that is reassuring. All I am doing at the mo is going through areas and schools and google earthing them, we know what kind of location we want to live in so that is helping a bit. Seen some good ones so far so then when we are ready we can start looking for rentals in those areas

Guest k8bug79
    State schools here are less religious than in the UK. No RE classes etc - not even a nativity!

Thanks, for me that is good to know. I knw that that may offend people. but if I were to say I was religious at al I would say I was Pagan, but I am far more of a natural/ spiritual belief if it were to be defined and I must admit I hate that my daughters school only teach Christianity even though they are a community school, they also only attend C of E even though there is almost every other Christian Denomination within the town.

I will never force my children to believe anything and therefore I want the school to adopt the same policy. Teaching tolerance of all beliefs is far more important imo