Finding a job really hard

Guest swans

Why did we bother doing a TRA and getting all paper work to show experience in jobs only to find you don't have the right qualifications for an australian job. Have been knocked back even before an interview has taken place UK experience and qualifications mean nothing out here.

Really fed up been in Adelaide 8 weeks now and not a glimmer of a job:sad:

Guest Team 'W'

aw swans dont get too down hearted,im in same boat an somethin will come along ive just gone out this morn an come back with two application forms [an thats about it]im still sat here lookin at them cos its been a long time since i filled one in [ouch]times an dates are well gone from my memory,so if theres any body out there with children in kindy an you hear of any jobs PLEASE PLEASE give us a shout...

so swans keep your peckers up an give the guys a shout on the forum you never know to day could be your lucky day and if not tomorrows a NEW day wishen you all the luck in findind sumthin....

Guest theknights

Hi There

Stick with it, It will happen ive been through the same experience just keep applying and something will turn up.

Why not try casual work for the meantime alot of places run this way and you never no it may become full time when they see you working

Theknights 11 weeks in

Guest caoimhe

Hang in there, I know its not easy, we were here 3 months before either of us got jobs and it is very worrying. Try Coles, Woolies, Bunnings and all your local stores for some Christmas work, I know its not ideal but any money is better than none. My husbands 1st job here was 2 weeks in a factory sweeping floors and general dogsbody but with mouths to feed its was money. There is a company called Absolute domestics (google for webpage), they are a cleaning company and seem to always need people, I was to go for an interview a while ago but got another job, again I know these things are not ideal but it could be something to get you started until the ideal one comes along.

Hope you get something soon.:wubclub:

Might be a good idea if anyone posting on this thread who is looking gives a brief idea of what sort of job they are looking for, and the area they're looking in - then we can all keep our eyes and ears open on your behalf.

A lot of jobs don't get advertised here, but someone might ask someone else "know of anyone that does xx?"

Guest Nicky, Alan and Kids

Fully understand how you feel, we came out on hubbys qualifications he is a gas fitter, couldnt get work as no licence couldnt find out how to get licence, anyway he took a job fitting car ports and verandas as we needed some income in. 18 months down the line he has managed to get a gas job well air conditioning and the company he works for are putting him through his licence, just wanted to say hand in there, because when it does fall in place its worth it.

Nicky

Guest caoimhe
Might be a good idea if anyone posting on this thread who is looking gives a brief idea of what sort of job they are looking for, and the area they're looking in - then we can all keep our eyes and ears open on your behalf.

A lot of jobs don't get advertised here, but someone might ask someone else "know of anyone that does xx?"

Good idea my husband got his job through a member posting on PIA

Guest Mrs DizzyRascal

Hi I've just got a job working nights at Wooleys, after applying on line for ages I just phoned up at Rundle Mall and got my first interview after that was easy. There desperate for staff so just give them a ringx

Sarahxx

Thank you all for your kind words we will not give up. In answer to your questions I am a butcher and my wife is a special needs teaching assistant.

I hope all those in the same situation as us find jobs.

Sue and Phil

Hi Sue and Phil

My friend Judy who runs Home2Home is away at the moment but when she gets back I'll ask her if she's heard of anything - I know she had some good contacts for butchers as one of her clients was looking for a job with sponsorship and she built up some really good contacts. I'll keep in touch

Diane

Hey Swans, have you tried Bunnings in Mount Barker?

They are always looking out for staff, i think the lady you wanna talk to is Janine, she used to be based at Noarlunga but went to Mt Barker to it up.

It might just help you on your way for a lil while it did for me.

Persevere mate, and develop a thick skin, dnt let the downs keep you down, it will work out...

Good Luck

HG

Guest caoimhe
Thank you all for your kind words we will not give up. In answer to your questions I am a butcher Sue and Phil

A friend of mine got a job as a butcher with Coles before he even arrived here, no retraining needed, give them and woollies a call

Guest The Steeles In Adelaide

Hi Swans

What trades are you looking at? I have a friend at a recruitment agency mainly automotive but some other areas inc construction i think, try southerncross personel find them on the web and ask for Ian tell him Dave Steele recommended you to him, Good luck

Dave

Guest Fancy a Beer
Thanks for this information we are based in Mount Barker at the moment and may be a little to far to travel at present.

Phil

Maybe thats your problem, Mount Barker is a bit cut off, maybe you need to look at travelling further a field in order to get the much needed Aussie work Experience, once you have that a whole new world opens up!!

We have a friend that is a butcher and he didnt have any problems getting work, but I guess with any profession its right time right place!

aw swans dont get too down hearted' date='im in same boat an somethin will come along ive just gone out this morn an come back with two application forms [an thats about it']im still sat here lookin at them cos its been a long time since i filled one in [ouch]times an dates are well gone from my memory,so if theres any body out there with children in kindy an you hear of any jobs PLEASE PLEASE give us a shout...

so swans keep your peckers up an give the guys a shout on the forum you never know to day could be your lucky day and if not tomorrows a NEW day wishen you all the luck in findind sumthin....

What a great, positive attitude to the job situation. I wish you lots of luck in your job hunting.

Why did we bother doing a TRA and getting all paper work to show experience in jobs only to find you don't have the right qualifications for an australian job. Have been knocked back even before an interview has taken place UK experience and qualifications mean nothing out here.

Really fed up been in Adelaide 8 weeks now and not a glimmer of a job:sad:

I know how you feel only too well. I was a qualified teacher in England but SA did not like my GTP route into teaching so I had to to a post graduate diploma in education at UniSA at a cost of ten grand to satisfy this. Then the paperwork took ages, then I had to begin looking for a job. I have had lots of work as a TRT over the last 6 weeks but it is drying up now. Thankfully it is well paid and I know that I will have work again but it hasn't been easy. Don't give up looking and trying because your situation will change. Good luck.

Guest rachinadelaide

I struggled to find work when we first arrived too. I wanted a change but couldn't find anything to change to as I couldn't even get an interview!

I ended up taking jobs I didn't enjoy just for the money and the Australian references but it all worked out in the end and I now have jobs (x3) that I really love!! It took a year or so though.

Best of luck!

Rach