Guest JD97

Good High Schools in Adelaide.... Please Recommend

Guest JD97

Hi,

Could anyone recommend any good high schools as I am in Yr 6 and am looking for high schools..

It would be great if I found some.

James

Guest Aussie pat

Hello James,

I'm glad you're enjoying Adelaide. My children are in Years 6 and 7 and love it here.

You might get more replies to your post if you give everyone a better picture of what you're looking for i.e. areas, special subject interests, private or state. etc. Hopefully someone will be able to help.

Goodluck!

Hi James............

like Pat says, it depends where you will be living.

Where Pat and i live, in the eastern 'burbs, there are many good schools; Pembroke is an excellent private school

Marryatville high is probably the BEST public school around, very music and sport oriented;

Norwood Morialta is also very good, and Glenunga International, abit further away has a really good reputation.

Primary school takes you to yr 7, here in oz.

Have your mum and dad looks at the DECS website for info on schools in other areas, and discuss if you want public or private,

Good Luck

Jane

Guest mysnix

You do not start high school here until year 8 and depending on your age it is possible you might drop back a year on arrival too.

There was an interesting article in the Adelaide Review mid-year which discussed the top state schools - unfortunately the article seems to have been moved and I can't find it. It talked about the 'top 7' - Adelaide High, Brighton, Norwood-Morialta, Marryatville, Unley and Glenunga International and I am sorry I have completely drawn a blank on the last one! They are mostly situated in the Eastern suburbs.

There are also some very good private schools, but as they are way out of my league I don't know a lot about them really, the ones I seem to hear a lot about are Pembroke, Prince Alfred College, Scotch and Westminster - but from what I can tell these are at the pricest end of the scale. From early 2010 the government is introducing league tables, which will help give parents a clearer picture. http://www.myschool.edu.au/

Hope that is some help - good luck. All I can suggest is to look around the schools when you arrive and go on gut feeling - also watch out for kids hanging around and on the street, their attitude and behaviour IMO can tell you a lot about the ethos of a school. Also look for the schools special programmes - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_interest_high_schools_in_South_Australia

Nikki

Guest parko

We have just moved here 8 weeks ago, my son was in year 6 in England but started school 2 weeks ago in year 5, but just finished for summer holidays 7 weeks. He goes into year 6 in January. My son and his 2 brothers who were in years 8 and 9 in England started at St. Francis de Sales College in Mount Barker as we live in Mylor. This is a catholic college, but will except anglican, as my children are all christened church of england, and were not very religious. They all absolutley love the school, and go back end of January into years 6, 8 and 9. My sister in law has lived here for 18 years and she visited quite a few schools/colleges with her husband to find the school for the boys. Its partly private partly government supported and you have to pay a fee, but to be honest it is worth it.

Hope this helps you and your parents find you a decent school. Let us know how you get on.

Parkos Wife Julie

Guest parko

Scouse mouse, where about are you from, Liverpool i presume? We have been here 4 weeks and absolutley loving it. We are from Halewood Village Liverpool, but husband originally from Speke? Just curious, as think your fellow scouser??

Parkos Wife Julie

Hi Julie,

indeed we are from the 'pool!

Im from Anfield/ everton brow, the husband is from Woolton..................

Been here just over a year now, and enjoying it so far.You will find lots of scousers here, the world would not be the same without us, lol.

Give us a pm if you want any help.

Take care

Jane

Guest blewin

Brighton Secondary School is excellent.

You are given automatic entry to the school that your house is zoned in, therefore unless you intend looking at private schooling it is very important you choose a house in the area your school is zoned.

I would say choose your school and then your house based on this if buying. You pay more for a mortgage or you pay for private school fees.

If the school is popular they do not take students out of their area unless they meet other criteria, specific to the schools speciality.

Guest JD97

Hi Guys,

Thanks to everyone for there posts. We don't know where we are living yet but we are looking at state schools. We are hoping to live in Hallett Cove, Kingston Park and Marino area. If you could advise of any good schools in that sort of area that would be great.

Thanks

James