Aquacatrina

Great Ocean Road

Hi

We are hitting the Great Ocean Road for just a few days around New Year, just using the car not Campervan. We are going from Melbourne to Adelaide and looking at stopping overnight in Apollo Bay, Port Faerie and Robe.

Does anyone have any great suggestions for Actvities, sights and accomodation on the way.

We have a 4 year old surfer dude, which will limit some activities.

Looking forward to the great advice.

All the best

Matthew:jiggy:

Guest lippy

We used a motel chain booklet (western hotels?) for accomodation in both Appolo Bay & Port Fairie, instead of Robe we stopped in Mt Gambier. Mt Gambier has the blue lake and the possums at the stink hole (not sure if that's its proper name!) that you can hand feed at night. Our son was 3.5 the last time we did it and there was loads for him to see and do. Don't forget the little penguins - they come ashore near the apostles (all along that shore line) each night at dusk.

Good luck & enjoy!

Julie

Guest SA Great
    We used a motel chain booklet (western hotels?) for accomodation in both Appolo Bay & Port Fairie, instead of Robe we stopped in Mt Gambier. Mt Gambier has the blue lake and the possums at the stink hole (not sure if that's its proper name!) that you can hand feed at night. Our son was 3.5 the last time we did it and there was loads for him to see and do. Don't forget the little penguins - they come ashore near the apostles (all along that shore line) each night at dusk.

Good luck & enjoy!

Julie

The Stink Hole!!!! LOL I think you mean the Umpherston Sink Hole! Cool place and so is the Blue Lake. On the way back we went to Naracoorte first which has great caves then cut across to Robe and Beachport. I agree with Julie, I would stay at Mt Gambier instead of Robe although another option would be to stay at Naracoorte. Not much at Robe really, maybe just an hour or two stopover.

Venture in land a bit ansd goto the Naracoorte Caves, Blue Lake @ Mount Gambier, Coonawarra Wineries at Penola....Robe is lush, goto Beachport....there is lots and lots to do....pop into the tourist info places

HG

Guest Deborah5

We are going for the week 12-19 December with a 6 and 7 year old. stopping in Robe for a night, Port Fairie for a night and Apollo Bay for 4 nights.

pm me and I'll make a note to let you know what to do (and what not to do) when we get back.

debbie

Guest lippy
    The Stink Hole!!'s !! LOL I think you meanh the Umpherston Sink Hole! Cool place and so is the Blue Lake.

That's it!! Does stink though!! :biglaugh:

Guest Lulujim

We're going 1 - 11 jan. Can't wait- we've got an 18 month old and 3 yr old - thanks for the tips about the penguins/possums etc - they'll love that! :)

We're staying in Robe and Mt Gambier to not drive too much with our littleys - driving there and back so stopping for lots of overnighters! Glad to hear about Port Fairy accommodation too as Big 4 all booked up :sad:

Keep the tips coming!! ;)

Guest Lulujim

Just wondering if anyone has been to these places? I have read a lot about them and think we should incorporate them in to our Great Ocean Rd trip - but not sure whether they're appropriate for a 1 and 3 yr old in tow???

Any help/opinions are appreciated! Tahnk you in advance! :)

Thanks for the info, much appreciated. Looks like we won't be the only Poms on the Great Ocean Road these holidays, although most people seem to be going the other way! :wubclub:

Our plan so far is:

Melbourne – Apollo Bay:

Kennet River (see Koalas)

Maits rest - www.greatoceanrd.org.au/otways/index.asp

Pony Treking - http://www.blazingsaddlestrailrides.com/index.html

Apollo Bay – Port Fairy

Cape Otway Lightstation - www.parkweb.vic.gov.au

12 Apostles

Loch Aird - www.parkweb.vic.gov.au

London Bridge

Otaway Fly - www.otwayfly.com

Flagstaff Hill Maritime Village & Shipwrecked Sound and Laser Show - www.flagstaffhill.com

Tower Hill Wildlife Reserve

Port Fairy - Robe

www.sealsbyseatours.com

Moyneyana Festival

Robe – Home

Beach

Little Dip Conservation park

Sorted out motel accomodation along the way.