Guest markjohn

Hard last week

Guest markjohn

Hi all,

Well we leave this Thursday 26th and i have to say we will be glad to get on the plane.

I have read all the posts about saying goodbye to family and friends and now fully understand just how hard it is.

The last few weeks have been an endless round of going out to say goodbye to everyone.

Seeing grown men cry because you are moving to Adelaide is emotionally draining but all said and done we know we are doing the right thing.I didnt think it would be such a big thing as we are not a particularly close family but its been the hardest week of my life.

To all of you just about to start your adventure,be prepared for an emotional last few weeks.

So on Thursday we fly to Singapore and have 4 days relaxing there and arrive in Adelaide on December 1st.We will need to use the ex-pat network and meet some people as we have no friends or family there so any suggestions for getting out and about socially would be greatly appreciated

Thanks Mark and Sara

Guest familygood

God I am really not looking forward to it at all.. I really hope we did the right thing to leave it until after Christmas or are we just going to make everyone more miserable?! I think the hardest thing is you cant fake being upset yourselves as I know I will just be excited!! Only a few more days then you can get over there and start your new life!! Best of luck!

Guest Guest75

It is hard isn't it?

I remember when we were leaving - those last few awful weeks where all was organised ,living at Mum's and just waiting to get on the plane.

We were starting to hear "I thought you'd gone" - that really was hard:goofy::goofy:

Keep smiling ,it won't be long.:)

It is hard but yes it is so worth it! for us anyway.

Wea re finding a little hard with the kids and hubby not working yet but the weather and the people are realy nice.

You will meet loads of friends, there is always a night out planned or days at the beac etc. Just post which area your in and you will soon find people.

Everyone has been great with us - it's like a second family all looking out for each other. I have not met one bad person yet.

Good luck with your flights and enjoy Singapore, go to the zoo we thought it was really nice.

Michelle

Guest mOZzy

soon you are here and the good byes will fade - you'll stay in touch anyways!!

i remember we were just excited and wanted to get on that plane!!!

and yes, we suddenly had a full social calender the last few weeks :D - i loved it!

and somehow dh's whole family went with us to the airport - was so not planned!! but hey - they insisted lol

where will you stay once over??

good luck with the journey!

Guest clare

just wanted to say all the best 2 u yr doing a great thing hope you have a good journey were coming ova next may :sad: at least ur gonna escape this gorjus weather were having lol!

take care and look after each other!:)

Hi all,

Well we leave this Thursday 26th and i have to say we will be glad to get on the plane.

I have read all the posts about saying goodbye to family and friends and now fully understand just how hard it is.

The last few weeks have been an endless round of going out to say goodbye to everyone.

Seeing grown men cry because you are moving to Adelaide is emotionally draining but all said and done we know we are doing the right thing.I didnt think it would be such a big thing as we are not a particularly close family but its been the hardest week of my life.

To all of you just about to start your adventure,be prepared for an emotional last few weeks.

So on Thursday we fly to Singapore and have 4 days relaxing there and arrive in Adelaide on December 1st.We will need to use the ex-pat network and meet some people as we have no friends or family there so any suggestions for getting out and about socially would be greatly appreciated

Thanks Mark and Sara

It is hard onme of the hardest thjings you will ever have to do, i kleft a little by back in the UK he was 10 at the time, i had not seen him for four years or so due to his mother being very very awkward.

I saw hime from Christmas until we left in April, i felt like the worst dad in the world, it borke both of our hearts, i still keep in touch with him...but its the hardest call i have to make.

Ity beats me up when i do call him and it beats when i dnt its hard very hard...

HG

Guys on here are always here to help and offer advice, and even come up with stuff to tale your minds off it somwhat.

All the best

HG

Guest angiestaff
    Hi all,

Thanks Mark and Sara

as soon as i read ur post it took me back to when my dad started welling up when we were ready to leave, god i couldn't cope with seeing that!.

we are 4 weeks away from my mom n dad coming out for a holiday so no doubt will have to go through that again in Jan when they leave :arghh:

feel free to contact me n hubby if u fancy a nice chilled glass of something when u arrive, people on here have been fantastic and so helpful it's def' a good support to have (how people managed years ago without PIA i have no idea!)

ange x

Guest guest3462
    God I am really not looking forward to it at all.. I really hope we did the right thing to leave it until after Christmas or are we just going to make everyone more miserable?! I think the hardest thing is you cant fake being upset yourselves as I know I will just be excited!! Only a few more days then you can get over there and start your new life!! Best of luck!

Hi, We left for Aus on 10th January so we could spend christmas with our families and I think they really appreciated it. I know the girls loved spending time with everyone, and to be honest the excitement of moving here added to the excitement of the holidays. We banned people from coming to the airport and chose early morning flights to help prevent it as we didn't want the last thing the children seeing being upset and crying grandparents. We all made promises not to cry and there was never a goodbye mentioned - only see you later which really helped all of us.

The worst thing for us about all of it was giving the children their presents on christmas day only to have to take them away again 3 days later when the container came for shipping!!! Carys was devastated when we took her very long awaited scooter away!!!! We ended up buying another when we got here she was so upset,so plan for that, it may be better to save your "good" pressies till you get here.

Have a wonderful christmas with your friends and family and never be upset about someone elses feelings, people are bound to be upset that they won't see you in the flesh for a while. You are about to embark on the journey of your lives and that is something to be very happy about. Your friends and family will visit you and you guys will go back, you'll also make a new family here in Oz which is the best thing.....

If you are in the southern suberbs when you arrive drop me a message and we'll arrange a play date/coffee.

Take care and enjoy.....

Guest WoodMartin

Hi Mark and Sara

Just wanted to say if you fancy a coffee/cake/beer on arrival drop me a message and we can arrange something, no worries. I am still looking for work (been here 2 months) so any place, any day will be OK.

Like you, our families were not particularly close, I can honestly say we've probably spoken and emailed more since we've been here than we did in the UK! Skype is our saviour, also Facebook to keep in touch with all that is going on with friends. We had very few tears, and everyone was really excited for us, promising to stay in touch etc. I think because it was such a long journey from applying, to visa, to actually leaving we had loads of time to get used to the idea. Thought I would get a huge wobble and it would suddenly hit me what we were doing at some point, but it never came...

In the last few weeks at work I had lots of 'haven't you gone yet' comments. My answer was always "Yep, left three weeks ago" which always raised a smile.

Ali

Guest Trakki

I managed to spread out the goodbyes so we didn't have them all in one go, one of the hardest if not the hardest was my best friend of 20 years, I think I found that the hardest as I know that it will be a very long time if ever that i see her again. We were both very pleased to leave when it came to it as we had spent 5 days living with his parents and 8 people in a three bed was cosy to say the least. My mum and brother came to the aiport (didn't want anyone but seeing that my mum had helped fund us getting here couldn't really say no). They were really good and saved their tears until we were out of sight. Only our oldest really understood fully what was happening and seeing him saying goodbye to my brother broke my heart as they have a special bond. But we have been here a year and never looked back, my mum flies out in less than 2 weeks and it will be the first time she has seen our new baby.

Give us a shout when you get here and we can meet up

safe journey

Guest familygood
    Hi, We left for Aus on 10th January so we could spend christmas with our families and I think they really appreciated it. I know the girls loved spending time with everyone, and to be honest the excitement of moving here added to the excitement of the holidays. We banned people from coming to the airport and chose early morning flights to help prevent it as we didn't want the last thing the children seeing being upset and crying grandparents. We all made promises not to cry and there was never a goodbye mentioned - only see you later which really helped all of us.

The worst thing for us about all of it was giving the children their presents on christmas day only to have to take them away again 3 days later when the container came for shipping!!! Carys was devastated when we took her very long awaited scooter away!!!! We ended up buying another when we got here she was so upset,so plan for that, it may be better to save your "good" pressies till you get here.

Have a wonderful christmas with your friends and family and never be upset about someone elses feelings, people are bound to be upset that they won't see you in the flesh for a while. You are about to embark on the journey of your lives and that is something to be very happy about. Your friends and family will visit you and you guys will go back, you'll also make a new family here in Oz which is the best thing.....

If you are in the southern suberbs when you arrive drop me a message and we'll arrange a play date/coffee.

Take care and enjoy.....

Hi

Thanks for your post. Will pm you so dont hijack this thread!!

Emma