Ashby Dicko

Wiring Rules AS/NZS 3000:2007

Has anybody started a correspondence course studying the Australian electrical wiring Rules.

I am looking for anybody in the UK or in OZ that is interested in comparing notes to do with the Students work book.

I have enrolled in an overseas course from PEER and I’m in the thinking that once I arrive in Adelaide, I’ll go down to see them, take an exam on what I’ve been studying and away you go.

I’ve been able to get an ARTC for Electrical Mechanic which will help me in getting an unrestricted licence quicker.

Guest graham and niki

Hi neil

i am doing the course now and will be flying out feb or march to take the exam ready for the move would be good to chat to you

Graham

Hi neil

i am doing the course now and will be flying out feb or march to take the exam ready for the move would be good to chat to you

Graham

Hi Graham, Are you emigrating in Feb or just doing a reccie and exam?

We will be emigrating at the end of March and I will do the exam once we are there and settled.

I feel that having the ARTC takes the pressure off slightly in getting a job (fingers crossed), as you are recognised as an electrician unlike the Vetassess OSTR.

speak soon Neil

Has anybody started a correspondence course studying the Australian electrical wiring Rules.

I am looking for anybody in the UK or in OZ that is interested in comparing notes to do with the Students work book.

I have enrolled in an overseas course from PEER and I’m in the thinking that once I arrive in Adelaide, I’ll go down to see them, take an exam on what I’ve been studying and away you go.

I’ve been able to get an ARTC for Electrical Mechanic which will help me in getting an unrestricted licence quicker.

Hi there.

Plesae help.

My hubby is an electrician and he was going to look into doing the overseas course at PEER. Do you have to have your visa granted before you apply? Is there a time limit from enrolling to sitting exam? and last question, What is an ARTC and how do you get one?

We are in the final stages and just waiting for our golden ticket!!!!

Sorry for all questions.:notworthy:

Kind regards

Helen x

Hi there.

Plesae help.

My hubby is an electrician and he was going to look into doing the overseas course at PEER. Do you have to have your visa granted before you apply? Is there a time limit from enrolling to sitting exam? and last question, What is an ARTC and how do you get one?

We are in the final stages and just waiting for our golden ticket!!!!

Sorry for all questions.:notworthy:

Kind regards

Helen x

No worries, i'll do my best to make it sound straight forward.

You don't need your visa to do the peer course, but you have 1 year from enroling to taking the exam.

ARTC is the recognised qualification for overseas skilled workers in Ausrtalia not the OSTR from vettassess.

I'll explain

Vettassess assess us folk from the UK. (it's a money thing)

They pass you and give you a OSTR which enables you to work in OZ restricted (meaning you can't sign off your own work. abit like Part P).

and you'll have to do 12months gap training!!!! log books etc...

TRA (who used to assess us folk from the UK) issue ARTC.

to get one of these, wait untill you have your visa then apply to have all the paperwork assessed again just like Vettassess, about $300.

For some reason TRA without a visa don't want to know, but as soon as you have a visa no problem.

This along with the Regs course plus health and saftey will get you a A Class licence unrestricted within about 1 - 2 months of arriving not 12 months.

( I hope)

thats how i understand it anyway

If any one out there says differently then please let me know so i'm aware of it before I emigrate.

Thanks

hope it helps Neil.

Guest graham and niki

Hi neil

I was planning to do the peer exam soon then apply for license while over- i didnt realise you needed a health and safety course too do you know any more about this or if there is anything else to prevent me getting the license?

cheers Graham

Hi neil

I was planning to do the peer exam soon then apply for license while over- i didnt realise you needed a health and safety course too do you know any more about this or if there is anything else to prevent me getting the license?

cheers Graham

Don't know anything about the H and S Course/exam.

I assume it would be similar to that of the CSCS scheme in the UK.

You don't need your visa to do the peer course, but you have 1 year from enroling to taking the exam.

ARTC is the recognised qualification for overseas skilled workers in Ausrtalia not the OSTR from vettassess.

I'll explain

They pass you and give you a OSTR which enables you to work in OZ restricted (meaning you can't sign off your own work. abit like Part P).

to get one of these, wait untill you have your visa then apply to have all the paperwork assessed again just like Vettassess, about $300.

For some reason TRA without a visa don't want to know, but as soon as you have a visa no problem.

This along with the Regs course plus health and saftey will get you a A Class licence unrestricted within about 1 - 2 months of arriving not 12 months.

( I hope)

If any one out there says differently then please let me know so i'm aware of it before I emigrate.

Thanks

hope it helps Neil.

This is correct. You dont have to do it as like you say you can work ristricted for 6 months but if you want your A class quickly then the ARTC and PEER is the way to go. If you time it all right and do distance learning you can book the course in then get flights booked for a week before and have A class licence within a few weeks of arriving.

I'll explain

( I hope)

Thanks

hope it helps Neil.

Thanks so much for the reply. Will defo look more into it.:notworthy:

Good luck with the future

Helen

Guest KennySparky

hello room sorry for butting in i have just got my peer corrospondance and was wondering whats the inital exam like ? is it tough ? does anyone find the wiring rules a big a pain as i do to find info ? any help greatly appreciated. kenny

Thanks so much for the reply. Will defo look more into it.:notworthy:

Good luck with the future

Helen

Just to let all electricians getting there A class this way. I am now in Adelaide, after completeing the course work book in the UK, ( just have an understanding for the MAX demand and volt drop).

Get to OZ book youself in for the exam / revision day (2 days). start the exam its open book 1 word answers and very easy 80% on each of the 5 sections needed to pass. ssshhh!!! Nobody fails !!!

take your certificate along with your ARTC cert to consumer affairs in the CBD along with $360 dallars and they will give you a licence.

As for the White card this is required for building sites not domestic work, again 1 day talk to and you have a health and saftey understanding and another card for you wallet.

It really is that easy!!!

So in short, fill in the work book have an little understanding than take it easy. get over here and don't wory, I have managed to get a job within the 1st 2 weeks of being here (I wasn't really ready to start that quick but the money sure helps).

Good Luck.

Guest tooeasy

the actuall exam for the wiring rules is quite easy it is an open book exam so you can take the wiring rules in with you not many people fail the exam I did it nearly 2 years ago if you do struggle with studying at home you can book on the course at peer when you get here

the white card is a health and safety thing and is required for all construction sites you can do this at peer or tafe but be warned it will be the most boring 6hrs of your life :SLEEP:

I did my exam in January 2007 . The course work is basically the same as the exam .When we did ours we were allowed to take the course book in with us . I was really worried about the exam ,but it was the easiest electrical exam i have ever done .I think peer is a good place to do this .

Guest graham and niki

thanks for the info guys i am doing my exam next week! fingers crossed

Ay up Graham, After you've finished the "EXAM" you will think what a joke, but hey, it helps to get a decent wage!!

They are all good guy's at Peer, i'm just waiting for TRA to send my electrical Mechanic certificate.

There is plenty of work out there.

Guest tooeasy

yep good luck with the exam don't worry about it tho it is an easy exam then you can get your licence :)