Guest The Morleys

Arriving Jan - What do we need to do when we get there?

Guest The Morleys

Hi all,

we are hopefully going to be arriving in adelaide in the first week in january, I will be starting my new job at the end of January. Was hoping someone could tell me what the first things we need to do when we get here are. eg: register with medi care, open a bank account, find a car, find a house, find a school, register with a doctors etc...

Also we will be taking about about £20k in savings while we wait for our house to sell, could someone advise what's the best way of getting the money into the country, are we best opening an Australian bank account and then transfering the money in or should we change it into australian dollars over here and take it on the plane or should we take it in stirling and than change it AUD when we get to adelaide? (how much cash are you allowed to carry on you on the plane?)

Thanks in advance for your help

Nina

:wubclub:

You are better off using either Hifx or Moneycorp these are currency converting companies who will transfer your money into a Oz bank account. I used Hifx got a much better exchange rate and also they helped me open a bank account with westpac. There is no cost at all to you. Just look for them on google search and give them a phone call and they will explain everything to you. We move in February 2010. Good luck

Guest mOZzy

firstly, wohoooo you must be dead excited - almost here!!

we've only just arrived and everything is really easy to do ... just time consuming!

we've opened a bank account from the uk (commonwealth bank) - and used ozforex for the money transfer - was all straight forward. - you'll get a contact and we emailed her our arrival date and asked her to transfer the cards to the closest branch - done in 2 days! went there, signed some papers, got everything explained and job done. - oh, when you are the branch ask for a print out with your current address on it, and your net amount - we supplied that as well when we looked for houses.

rental: start looking soon. well, depends on what you are looking for and where.

we had 3 weeks in our first rental and almost ran out of time. - we did provide lots of documents (we bought a printer/scanner very early on, saves you running to the library all the time) we were lucky to have internet in our rental!) - like passports, birth certs, drivers licence (dh did his ozzie one straight away - it's handy having that id!), car registration, ref. from uk mortgage, medicare card, current rental agreement,...

we just copied everything and handed it all over - they were impressed but it didn't really help. guess they are not so keen on emigrating first time renters - be prepared to look at lots of houses and also some not so nice ones?!!?? - but then again there were always plenty of people at the open inspection so i guess the demand helps the landlords!! be patient

medicare again very easy. just go into the office (if you don't have internet someone will help you out where your nearest is) present all your passports (don't remember if we needed the birth certs too???) - takes about an hour for them to put you on the system. you'll get a temp. paperslip as your 'card' and the real one in the post.

drivers licence: passport, old drivers licence, and just take your tenancy agreement as proof of address - pay your fees, get your photo taken. again your get a temp. paper slip and the real one in the post.

tax file nr: apply online if possible - takes 10min and we had our numbers 5 days later

centrelink: i've applied online so far but still need to go there and actually talk to them ...

cars: we looked in the advertiser and went private. we were very lucky so far :)

schools: unless you want a specific school i'd say wait till you know where you'll live. then just call them and arrange for a visit ... so i've been told lol, haven't done that yet either

doctor: haven't done that yet either; we'll move into our year rental in a couple of days and then i'll look around; just try and find one that 'bulk bills' - ask at the medicare centre, they'll explain it all

and re amount of money you can bring: i think it's $10.000,--

that's all i can think of atm, if you've got more question just shout!

good luck!

I can pass you on my bank account details, that surely is the ebst way to get your money into Australia...hehe.

Nah seriously take on board as much advice as you can...TFN...Bank accounts....etc etc

HG

Guest The Morleys

Thanks for the advice, can't wait to feel the ozzy sun on my back !!!!!!

Guest Guest75
    Thanks for the advice, can't wait to feel the ozzy sun on my back !!!!!!

It was only 33c today:rolleyes::rolleyes: