Guest caoimhe

One year today-Beware long post

Guest caoimhe

Well its been one year since we arrived in Adelaide so I wanted to share our experiences with others. This is how I have found things so please don't take offence at anything.

Leaving family and friends is harder than you can imagine so try not to give it too much thought after you have made the decision to go as it will be worse than you think!!

The day we arrived was sunny and 23 degrees, we thought that was hot but have since realised that's just pleasant.

We were greeted at the airport by my Dad (who was here on holiday), my Uncle, 2 aunts and 3 cousins. We realise how lucky we were to have family here and admire those who have come out knowing no one. We stayed with my aunt for 2 weeks until we got a rental through my Uncles friend. It took both of us almost 3 months to get jobs both of which we got through friends of family. We bought a house in May, it is very outdated and needs a lot of work but it was priced for this and our mortgage is less than the average rent so it made sense to buy as soon as we could and the size is so much bigger than we had at home.

As previously said I know we have been lucky in a lot of ways but being here on a temporary visa and having 4 kids has been financially very hard. My husbands wages are a lot worse than we thought and when I lost my job in July we finished off the last of our savings within a month and had to borrow money from my Dad. I have recently got another job and so has my hubby, the company he is working for now is going to sponsor us for PR. We are hoping this comes through very soon as I will be out of work over the kids summer holidays which is almost 7 weeks without my wages and as the new visa will cost us almost $4000 including meds we will again be without savings. I am only stating all this to make people with children aware that being on a temp visa is very hard. Childcare for me with 4 kids during the schoold hols is $152 a day, unfortunatly I woulldn't earn that, if on PR then I would get help towards those costs and therefore could work. We were 5 points short for PR and therefore are not entilted to any family assistance. Family assistance for us will be the difference between staying in Australia and having to go back. Again this is just MY experiences but I want to tell things honestly and not with the so called rose tinted glasses.

Apart from financial issues I am enjoying Oz, I miss my only sister so much but I believe we have made the best move for our kids. My O/H has loved every minute of being here as have the kids. They all play soccer during the winter and Futsal (indoor soccer) during the summer. All have settled well in school and made lots of friends. The boys joining a soccer club has been great for us as they have all made great friends as have we. We find we have more of a social life here as so much of it involves bringing the kids.

On the whole I don't find it more expensive here, some things are dearer, some cheaper. You do need to change the way you shop though. Unlike Ireland where I done all my weekly shop in either Tesco or Asda, here I have found a small local fruit shop, butchers and bakers and only use the supermarkets for anything else. By doing this I have knocked about $80 a week off my grocery bill. Stock up when things are on special and shop in the cheap shops like the Reject shop for toiletries, washing powder and cleaning stuff.

Nothing can beat taking the kids to the beach after school and swimming as the sun goes down, eating a BBQ breakfast at the soccer club while watching the kids play, going to a park and having a BBQ with new friends and loads more things that don't cost much and can keep my boys entertained and off their computer consoles.

I feel the Aussie's are the friendliest of people and admire you for upping sticks and leaving your country to move here, and therefore help you whenever they can. On the day we moved into our new home we had 3 men take the day off work to help us move, 6 months before we didn't know any of them.

I wish I had of made the move 10 years ago when my hubby first wanted to come but unfortunatly I didn't have the guts then. Oz has a lot to offer and I hope my boys will reap the benefits.

Good luck to those still waiting to come, there were days in Ireland when I didn't think we would ever sell the house and get here and now we have finished our 1st year so hang in there.

Well enough of my babbling I have to go celebrate with my family.:jiggy:

thats fantasitc and thank you for sharing, it has brought a tear to my eye. I am so glad that you are enjoying dispute the financial hardtimes as this gives us hope.

We have been here 6 weeks and my husband has not got a job yet and is unlikely to get one before Christmas we feel. So thank you for offering us hope.

Hope you get your PR and get to stay in what is a lovelly city with very friendly people

Michelle

Guest Lyndie Loue

I am so proud of you all. even though I don't know you. Kepp going through the tough times, once PR kicks in the benefits (financially) will follow, it will feel like a lottery win for you all! Missing family is harder than any one can ever begin to imagine, that said that though having the kids out playing sports & not being on the computer or in front of the tv is priceless. Their happiness brings you happiness, you're an inspiration to us, thank you for sharing your experience, warts an all!! x

Guest cunnah10
    We its been one year since we arrived in Adelaide so I wanted to share our experiences with others. This is how I have found things so please don't take offence at anything.

Leaving family and friends is harder than you can imagine so try not to give it too much thought after you have made the decision to go as it will be worse than you think.

The day we arrived was sunny and 23 degrees, we thought that was hot but have since realised that's just pleasant. We were greeted at the airport by my Dad (who was here on holiday), my Uncle, 2 aunts and 3 cousins. We realise how lucky we were to have family here and admire those who have come out knowing no one. We stayed with my aunt for 2 weeks until we got a rental through my Uncles friend. It took both of us almost 3 months to get jobs both of which we got through friends of family. We bought a house in May, it is very outdated and needs a lot of work but it was priced for this and our mortgage is less than the average rent so it made sense to buy as soon as we could.

As previously said I know we have been lucky in a lot of ways but being here on a temporary visa and having 4 kids has been financially very hard. My husbands wages are a lot worse than we thought and when I lost my job in July we finished off the last of our savings within a month and had to borrow money from my Dad. I have recently got another job and so has my hubby, the company he is working for now is going to sponsor us for PR. We are hoping this comes through very soon as I will be out of work over the kids summer holidays which is almost 7 weeks without my wages and as the new visa will cost us almost $4000 including meds we will again be without savings. I am only stating all this to make people with children aware that being on a temp visa is very hard. Childcare for me with 4 kids during the schoold hols is $152 a day, unfortunatly I woulldn't earn that, if on PR then I would get help towards those costs and therefore could work. We were 5 points short for PR and therefore are not entilted to any family assistance. Family assistance for us will be the difference between staying in Australia and having to go back. Again this is just MY experiences but I want to tell things honestly and not with the so called rose tinted glasses.

Apart from financial issues I am enjoying Oz, I miss my only sister so much but I believe we have made the best move for our kids. My O/H has loved every minute of being here as have the kids. They all play soccer during the winter and Futsal (indoor soccer) during the summer. All have settled well in school and made lots of friends. The boys joining a soccer club has been great for us as they have all made great friends as have we. We find we have more of a social life here as so much of it involves bringing the kids.

On the whole I don't find it more expensive here, some things are dearer, some cheaper. You do need to change the way you shop though. Unlike Ireland where I done all my weekly shop in either Tesco or Asda here I have found a small local fruit shop, butchers and bakers and only use the supermarkets for anything else. By doing this I have knocked about $80 a week off my grocery bill. Stock up when things are on special and shop in the cheap shops like the Reject shop for toiletries, washing powder and cleaning stuff.

Nothing can beat taking the kids to the beach after school and swimming as the sun goes down, eating a BBQ breakfast at the soccer club while watching the kids play, going to a park and having a BBQ with new friends and loads more things that don't cost much and can keep my boys entertained and off their computer consoles.

I feel the Aussie's are the friendliest of people and admire you for upping sticks and leaving your contry to move here, and therefore help you whenever they can. On the day we moved into out new home we had 3 men take the day off work to help us move, 6 months before we didn't know any of them.

I wish I had of made the move 10 years ago when my hubby first wanted to come but unfortunatly I didn't have the guts then. Oz has a lot to offer and I hope my boys will reap the benefits.

Good luck to those still waiting to come, there were days in Ireland when I didn't think we would ever sell the house and get here and now we have finished our 1st year so hang in there.

Well enough of my babbling I have to go celebrate with my family.:jiggy:

Lovely to read Jac.... you are a very "strong" lady & deserve to be happy here in OZ!!! Here's to MANY more HAPPY years ahead of you!!!!

Enjoy your celebrations xxx

Guest Trakki

great post and congrats on your first year, here's to many more x

I agree about the visa status though, if we weren't on PR we wouldn't have been able to afford to stay here since I got no mat leave so have been on leave without pay and Petes job is part time so not enough for a familty of 7, the family assistance has kept us going just!! I think as you that people need to be aware of this. x x x

Guest mOZzy

great post - thanks for sharing!

i've only been here 3 weeks but i so agree - australians are just super friendly!

fingers crossed that the pr will come through soon and you'll get an even better life :D

Guest familygood

Thanks for your post. Coming out on 475 visa with a baby on the way and no jobs is certainly frightening but if we work hard I am sure we will get out what we put in. Well done on your first year and hope things get easier for you from now on!

Guest Guest75

I was looking for something to take offence at ---- I'm offended as you told an untruth!!!!:biglaugh:

(I'm only on my second bottle )

Well done to you and yours :notworthy:

Guest caoimhe
    I was looking for something to take offence at ---- I'm offended as you told an untruth!!!!:biglaugh:

Well as some can argue over the price of bananas I thought my post might have put the cat amongst the pidgeons......would hate to be classed as one of the 'love it' brigade as I have always prided myself in being neutral...Well I am Irish:biglaugh:

Guest Guest75
    Well as some can argue over the price of bananas I thought my post might have put the cat amongst the pidgeons......would hate to be classed as one of the 'love it' brigade as I have always prided myself in being neutral...Well I am Irish:biglaugh:

Tssskk - go on be risqué......:P

From my neck of the woods........... "Nowt wrong wi' saying it plain":wubclub:

Guest the4hopes

Well done!!! Think how well off you will be when you do get family assistance!! I remember reading your posts when we were in the UK trying to sell our house at the same time as you, sold ours first, then carried on reading your posts trying to sell waiting for viewers etc etc wondering if it would ever happen. So when we got here I was offline for a bit, when I was back on I read you were here!!! That was such a surprise! As I said, well done and the best luck for future years.

Laura x

Guest Lulujim

Great post - you've been through a lot but am sure it's allworth it to see your kids at soccer or ont he beach. :)

P.s - Woolworths won't sposor us for PR afterall, but we've found another way through them to help financially - PM me for details if your PR doesn't come off x

well done jac's stephen and boys so proud of you all, hope you stay and here and always be happy.

You are a lovely family,and we will always be friends ;)

sue xxx

ps, see you all hopefully over the christmas holidays.