Sign in to follow this  
Guest Emu

Can you get a Credit Card/Store Card on a 475?

Guest Emu

Hi,

We tried to get a Myer store card that also works as a credit card, but because we dont have residency we can't get one.

We were told that if we have a South Australian driving licence we might be able to get it, but the guy wasn't sure. The thing is we dont want to lose the UK licence.

He was quite nice about it as his girlfriend/wife was English and couldnt get credit either.

Has anybody had this problem? Is there a way around it?

Does that also mean that if we needed a small loan from the bank we wouldn't be able to get it?

Thanks in advance for all the replies.

Hi

We're on a 475 and got a credit card from ANZ (on the day after we landed) since our accounts are there, before my husband even got a job - sll we had at that time as ID ws our passports. Haven't tried to get a storecard - don't need the temptation!

catrin

Guest Pies

We are on a 475 too - your bank will probably have a suitable offer - any which way, you'll pay for the credit. We kept our UK credit card in order to have an emergency backup for a year or so....you will need some identification to qualify for an Oz credit card - remember, store cards in the UK were always a b ot hit and miss so don't base your views on credit around Myers!!

Guest WoodMartin

We've not tried to get credit yet, however we got SA driving licences and still kept the UK ones, so no need to worry about that I guess?

Ali

Guest Lulujim

Hiya, we're on a 475 visa too - and have 2 credit cards!! The first one is Commonwealth (we have a mortgage with them so that's prob why) - but we have a Woolworths one too (you get 5% cashback on your shopping btw!)

I would defo get a SA licence if I were you - you don't have to give in your UK one - you keep both!

You might need proof of earnings to get a good credit rating, but hsould be fine - I don't think it's the visa that's the problem as other friends here on a 475 have one too.

Hope this gives some hope! :)

Guest caoimhe

ANZ turned us down for a credit card as O/H was not working, even though we had $22,000 in our account with them (not any more tho)

Commonwealth give us one when we took our mortgage with them....we on 496 (temp)

Guest Martin and Val

If this helps you, we got our driving licences before even had our Visa while we were over on a recci, they simply gave us our UK licences back at the same time.

While on the recci we also opened accounts with WestPac and were given debit cards straight away. When we migrated October 2008 we went back into WestPac and were given Credit cards which we had asked for.

At no time were we ever asked if we were permanent residents as we are also on 475 visa's.

Cheers

Martin

Guest Emu

Hi, thanks all for your feedback.

We also had a problem with Westback that woudn't give us a visa debit card even though like you we had a lot of money there (now all gone), then we moved to Commonwealth and no problem.

The reason I wanted a store card is that they have these interest free installments (at Myer, Freedom, etc).

When we went to do the driving license they told us we had to hand in the UK license, but now I can't find it in the website. Will have to ask again.

Thanks again.