Hazel M

Medicals

Does anyone know what blood tests they do? Do they do a liver function test as standard or is it just full blood count and the usual HIV test?

Also what else does the examining doctor actually 'do' as part of the examination?

Just wondering about starting diet / detox!!!!

Thanks!

Guest The Dimmocks

Hi

I think the blood test is just for HIV, we both got tattoos so had to sign for Hep B as well. The Examination was fine. He looked in all our throats, ears and eyes. Felt our necks, bellys and we had to stand on our tip toes, bend down touch your toes. Had to be weighed :-(, blood pressure, height and had to read off standard eye test board. Also a wee sample as well and the X-ray. He asked about previous medical history of us all. The boys had to have heads measured as they were under 2 (even though I know people who didn't have this and their kids were under 2). I was dreading that bit as my one son has a big head (gets it from his dads side LOL) which has been investigated. Had to get additional info from our GP as it was top of the scale and the doc said they would pick up on that in Oz. All okay though just took longer for his report to be processed as think it had to be referred. Mine also had to be referred but still passed. Pretty simple day to be honest, kids were good. Took about an 1hr for all 5 of us. I wouldn't worry to much about weight if you a little over weight I am classed as over weight for my height and we got ours. As long as you fit and healthy generally that all they looking for really.

Good luck with your medicals and sorry if I gone on abit.

Michelle

Guest The Dimmocks

I just noticed you from Wolverhampton. We live not far from Bilston. Small world. You will probably go to Handsworth Wood then as they do everything there in one day, which is better.

Brilliant, thanks very much for all the info!

Yes, I think I'd seen there was a panel doc in Birmingham so that's probably the one we'll be going to - small world indeed, I was in Bilston the other day getting our car serviced!!

Thanks for the help.

Guest thekings

Had ours yesterday.

weight, height, eye test, looked into eyes, listened to chest/back, felt throat and belly, wee sample, blood test (HIV) plus (for tattoos and healthcare staff) hep B & C. If you are on medication they will ask about it. Didn't want to know ANY of my past medical history!!! X-rays and that was it. Very basic. My advice is if they don't ask then don't tell. They know what they need to know don't complicate things by telling them about past events that are no longer relevant. Good luck

Thanks - i'll start the diet now - got a load of baby weight (and chocolate weight!!!) to try and get rid of. Sounds all pretty straight forward though so hopefully no cause for too much concern!

Guest Tracey

hi, we went to handsworth for ours. bloods are just HIV for your partner, and HIV and Hep b an c for you as you are a nurse. the dr was great there, i was really worried about everything, including OH's blood pressure and his back problems, but we all passed no problems. we had blood pressure took, urine was tested, we all had soo much water to drink to ensure it was clear lol. the dr checked our tummies and asked us to touch our toes. an no OH could not touch his, but he still passed. so.. no worries. all the best trace

Guest WoodMartin

Similar experience to everyone else, we were at Handsworth too. Just wanted to reassure everyone that weight (well, BMI) was not a problem - I was very overwieght, and crash dieted for a fortnight beforehand, still was overweight on the day though. No problems, doc put us down as category A (which means 'fine' as far as I am aware, 'B' means get more info before deciding I think) and made us at ease.

My blood pressure was also high, doc did it again and said fine, no problem even though I was thinking it MUST have gone up with the thought I may have 'failed'!!

Ali

Guest Daniel&Kelly

i know its a personal question but how overweight are you? we've got our meds on monday i'm 4 stone overweight :( i know not very healthy!! i'm really worried by it all i don't want to be the one that makes us fail!!

Guest Trakki

as long as you have no weight associated health problems you will be fine, I even took my slimming world book along so I could prove that I was losing weight but the Dr just weighed me, made no comment and as I have no other health problems made no comment at all.

Guest The Dimmocks

I was a good couple of stone over the ideal weight for my height. I have no health issues either regarding weight. I have since lost a stone and hope to lose another half stone before we fly in february, something I have been trying to do since having the kids. I wouldn't worry to much as long as you generally healthy.

Good luck with them and let us know how you get on.

Michelle

lol - i was wondering about how much overweight is too much - also not wanting to be the one to make us fail!!!!!!!!!!

Good idea Tracey with the slimming world book -even though he wasnt interested! I lost 5 st with them before piling a lot of it back on with our last bambino!!

Guest Daniel&Kelly

Thanks xx

Got another question that might sound strange but do they check your teeth? X need a few filling done x

Thanks xx

Got another question that might sound strange but do they check your teeth? X need a few filling done x

LOL!!!!! I dont think fillings will fail your visa!!

Guest Trakki
    Thanks xx

No they don't