Sign in to follow this  
Pesty650

Import Duties

Having seen the price of new books in Australia (and nearly had a heart attack in the process!) I am looking at ways to save money in this area as I read rather a lot.

Does anyone know if I would have to pay import duties if I bought books from Amazon and got them shipped out here, and if so how much?

Also, if I got my mum to send me over a box of second hand books would I need to pay import duties on that? or would they be seen as a gift?

Thanks for your help.

Guest cafehag

I've ordered books a number of times from Amazon and from theis company -

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/

They discount books and offer free worldwide delivery.

I've never had any issue with import duties - they just arrive in the post.

Use http://www.thebookdepository.co.uk - prices about as good as Amazon and free international delivery! With the strong dollar at the moment it works out even cheaper too. Good customer service from them, only issue I have is that there is no option to add messages with books sent as gifts! Books arrive here within about 7-10 days.

Oops started typing my message and didn't see CafeHag's till after! Great minds eh!! By the way, I have absolute bookshelves of books that I can't bring myself to get rid of but am quite happy to give away to a good home, so if you post up which authors you like, if I have any I'd be happy to pass them on!