Job in childcare....... questions

Guest TraceyT

Guest TraceyT

Hi,

I just need to pick someones brain who has / is working in childcare in SA....

I am a childcare coordinator and will be moving to Oz in June, my First Aid Certificate & my Food Safety Award expires just before I leave, is it worth me renewing here in the UK, or waiting and getting qualified in Oz?

It seems pointless doing the training here when it may not be recognised in Oz.

Thanks in advance,

Tracey x

No point in doing them at all hun.

You will need to get your qualifications assessed - very difficult here to do - they don't accept many uk based qualifications - they deffo don't accept cache or nvq - you need to do extra modules at tafe.

You need to do 1st aid and mandatory reporting - day courses and easy to do.

However they are desperate for qualified staff and you'll have no probs in getting a job - you will be able to pick and choose.

It is silly. I have a B.ED hons degree and taught nursery for 17 years!!!! Not enough though to satisfy licencing!!! Had to jump through hoops to get me qualified. In comparison teacher registration and getting DECS approval was a breeze.

Don't give up though.

I worked in childcare as a qualified team leader and have just been offered a job as a pre school teacher in a private kindergarten. It's all about networking here.

• 2 months later...

To be honest, Tracey, the food hygiene I would leave but the First Aid Certificate I would do at a Senior level. St John Ambulance and Red Cross are the same the world over and it will be one less thing to stress about when you arrive.