Whats flinders Hospital like?

Guest saz1

Hi everyone,

I have recently had a job interview over the phone for critical care at flinders hospital, think it went well they are just awaiting my references. Just wondering if anyone works there and can give me any info about the critical care unit/hospital.

Thanks Sarah.:err:

Can't say what its like to work there,but as a patient I was very impressed.

Only shock though was walking into a&e- looked like a battlefield- patients waiting on trolleys wherever there was a space, people moaning,screaming!!!

Not enough space and overworked doctors and nurses.

First rate service though- which is the most important thing.

My hubby has worked agency there ICU, he's worked at most of the hospitals with ICU's in Adelaide, although his permanent job is at Wakefield Calvary - and its rather large he's not here at the moment but I think that it has either 32 or 36 beds. If its ICU you are looking at drop me a pm and I will get him to fill you in.

Lindsey

Guest happy feet

HI, I CURRENTLY WORK ON RESP WARD, BEEN THERE 6 MONTHS. HAVE TO SAY, FIND IT SAME OLD SAME OLD AS CARE GOES, BUT AS R/N, VERY DIFFERNT FROM THE UK. NO HCA'S, ALL R/N'S OR E/N'S, SHIFTS START AT 7, FINISH3.30, LATE 1 PM TILL 9.30. IF U IN iCU, THEY DO LET U DO LONG DAYS BUT HAVE TO BE THERE A WHILE FIRST...THINK LONG DAYS 7AM TILL 7.30 PM. THEY DONT LET U HAVE ANY HOIDAYS TIL U WORKED A YR BUT IF U BEG THEM THEY MIGHT LET U HAVE AW EEK OR TWO AFTER 6 MONTHS.

GOOD LUCK

PM ME IF U NEED TO KNOW MORE

HAPPY XMAS

CARA XXXX

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Lesley

Hi

Worked a couple of times on unit through agency, main unit seems quite nice bit no windows, high tech though procedures a bit old fashioned.........e.g no closed suction and 2nd person bags before suction .........overflow unit is very,very small and cluttered, not a nice place to be as a patient or work, staff on 2 shifts seemed nice.......frequent agency shifts required so seem to have a staffing problem...........

Hope helps

Guest BinLangley

Hi Sarah,

We emigrated to S.A. in October. My wife Liz is an I.C. nurse with Flinders hospital (private). She has been in I.C. since she qualified 5 years ago.

You would be better off talking to her but from what she tells me she is happy at Flinders and is actually on more money than she was in the U.K.

She sometimes has very busy shifts (intubated patients etc.) but she prefers that because most the time most of her patients are more H.D.U. rather than true I.C. by U.K. standards; though I understand this is different on the public side in Flinders. She's also not used to the drugs they use here and other staff refering to them by their brand names which she tells me is a big no no in the U.K.

We only live about 20 mins. away tops in Sheiow Park and she has a pass for parking which is easy on 12 hours.

Drop her an email lizlangley@hotmail.co.uk

And good luck with the interview result.

Tim.

• 3 months later...
Guest guest5559

I have done a couple of Agency shifts on the unit & it seemed like a nice friendly & supportive environment! Other Agency nurses tell me it's probably one of the best places to try to get a job if going for a contract! From my experience so far, if you get the job go for it you couldn't ask for a better start! :-)

Guest cornish Busdriver

Gday Lil Bev.

Missus just asked which department of Deriford you in ??

She work in trauma theaters, mainly night shift.

Guest needtogonow
I hope it's better than Derriford, i'm working there at the moment :arghh:

Hi Bev,

I am also an ex-Derriford worker. I was in the Occupational Therapy dept there and only left back in March. I also know of one other nurse who still works there and is moving over in a few months time. It may be Flinders she is due to start at. She has posted on here a few times. Good luck with the plans.

Bex

Guest Roo1

I was very impressed at the standard of care at Flinders when I had my son 10 months ago. Staff where very friendly and knowledgable, I felt I was in safe hands throughout my time there.

Judi x

Guest needtogonow
I work on shaugh (trauma orthopaedic ward)

Hi Bev,

Did not cover Shaugh ward but know the OTs well that work on ward.

Believe it or not I do actually miss working in Derriford :arghh: but not enough to make me come back.

Bex

Guest cornish Busdriver

Gday Bev.

Missus worked in Ortho theaters as well, you might have ran into her at some point.

Her name is Mandy

Hi Bev,

Did not cover Shaugh ward but know the OTs well that work on ward.

Believe it or not I do actually miss working in Derriford :arghh: but not enough to make me come back.

Bex

The OTs on our ward are fantastic! Hope i don't miss the place when i leave, can't wait to get to get out there:jiggy: Are you enjoying it out there? Where are you working now?

Bev

Guest guest3462

My OH worked at flinders ICU for a while as a senior registrar when we first moved here and he really enjoyed it. He said the nursing staff were lovely and very friendly and that the work was interesting and varied. He works at RAH and MedSTAR now, but you never know, he might go back as a consultant!