Guest clare

how much weight?

Guest clare

hi another random question has any1 flown with singapore airlines one way and how much baggage allowence ur allowed?:unsure:

Guest the4hopes

If you are on permanent visa, it's 40kg each, 7kg hand luggage plus a bag to have with you on the journey that is not weighed, and you can also carry on a lap top. Use a lightweight bag for hand luggage( we had wheelie cases that were already 3kg each, not a good idea)

Laura

Guest The Dimmocks

I phoned singapore airlines to get written confirmation of the baggage allowances as the company we booked with said it was standard 20 kilos. Their reply is below. Hope this helps.

Dear Mrs. Dimmock,

Kindly note that if you hold unused/unstamped migrant visas that specifically state that you are permittedto remain in Australia indefinitely, then you will be entitled to double baggage allowance (40 kilos) on production of those visas at check-in. You can have as many items of luggage as you wish providing no one single item of baggage exceeds 32 kilos in weight. This is a health and safety requirement.

If you are not holding the correct visas at check-in, then you will be entitled to the standard free checked baggage allowance of 20 kilos per passenger.

As you have a stopover of more than 24 hours in Singapore, we request you to please revert to us with scanned copies of the visas in your respective passports, including the page that is directly opposite that on which the visa is printed, and we will forward the information to the department concerned.

Awaiting your reply.

Yours Sincerely,

Janet Phillips

SIA UK

I phoned singapore airlines to get written confirmation of the baggage allowances as the company we booked with said it was standard 20 kilos. Their reply is below. Hope this helps.

Dear Mrs. Dimmock,

Kindly note that if you hold unused/unstamped migrant visas that specifically state that you are permittedto remain in Australia indefinitely, then you will be entitled to double baggage allowance (40 kilos) on production of those visas at check-in. You can have as many items of luggage as you wish providing no one single item of baggage exceeds 32 kilos in weight. This is a health and safety requirement.

If you are not holding the correct visas at check-in, then you will be entitled to the standard free checked baggage allowance of 20 kilos per passenger.

As you have a stopover of more than 24 hours in Singapore, we request you to please revert to us with scanned copies of the visas in your respective passports, including the page that is directly opposite that on which the visa is printed, and we will forward the information to the department concerned.

Awaiting your reply.

Yours Sincerely,

Janet Phillips

SIA UK

Just a warning - take a copy of this email with you. We stopped in Singapore for 5 days, and when we checked in for our onward flight Singapore airlines In Singapore said we were only entitled to 20kgs each, despite what the UK had told us. I showed them the email which was the same as what you have, and they reluctantly let us through but insisted that you should not have 40kgs. However our email didn't say about sending copies of the visa to the correct department, so that may have changed since we made the move.

Mel

x

Guest Nick11

Singapore gave us 30kgs each on our 475 visa.

Our friends asked , who were travelling a week later than us, and they got 30kg each. I e-mailed and asked and they said no!!!!! So I sent them a not nice e-mail asking them why they let my friends have extra (didn't name them)and not us!!!!They came back to us and said no probs - have 30kg each!!!!

Guest Zako999

Hi,

Just to let you all know, as of next year, if you are flying from Manchester with Singapore Airlines you will be on 3 flights.... in other words you will fly Manchester - Munich? i think it is..... then Munich - Singapore then to Adelaide.

Guest The Dimmocks
    Just a warning - take a copy of this email with you. We stopped in Singapore for 5 days, and when we checked in for our onward flight Singapore airlines In Singapore said we were only entitled to 20kgs each, despite what the UK had told us. I showed them the email which was the same as what you have, and they reluctantly let us through but insisted that you should not have 40kgs. However our email didn't say about sending copies of the visa to the correct department, so that may have changed since we made the move.

Mel

x

I will have a copy with me, that why I contacted them as didn't want to stand arguing at a check in desk. I have sent them scanned copies of visa page and had confirmation of their receipt so hopefully wont have any problems on connecting flight.

Thanks Michelle x

Guest The Dimmocks
    Hi,

Just to let you all know, as of next year, if you are flying from Manchester with Singapore Airlines you will be on 3 flights.... in other words you will fly Manchester - Munich? i think it is..... then Munich - Singapore then to Adelaide.

We flying from Heathrow so should be okay :)

Guest kangomik

Taking the email helped us at Singapore after a stop off, they were very nice about it all.

Guest markjohn

Hi Clare,

We arrived 3 weeks ago and flew with Singapore Airlines,

If you are not on a permanent visa the baggage allowance is 20 kg with 7kg hand luggage.

We were on a 495 temp visa so only allowed 20kg.

Almost impossible to keep it under as you have 3 months to live till container arrives and a mountain of paperwork.

We were 38kg over at Heathrow between us as were told we could only take one hand luggage onboard as was bulky.

Told the lady we were emigrating and she made a phone call and said ok.

She also put a note on the system as we spent 4 days in Singapore and was then ok from Singapore to Adelaide,

Im not saying this is the way to go but there is a bit of leeway.

Mark

Guest PhilC

Pack your bags so you only have one or two bags to use in Singapore, then put the rest in left luggage at the airport - makes travelling to and from the hotel easier. Left luggage is on one of the basement floors (a couple below where you come in if I remember).

If you are over the limit when you get to Heathrow/Manchester, make sure you pay the excess for the whole trip to Adelaide, otherwise you'll get charged again and may have problems in Singapore.

We were 30 odd kgs over at Heathrow, but got there early and were pretty much first to check in, the guy behind the desk only charged us for an extra 5Kg, but it was still nearly £200! It was £38/kg in October this year - flying with Singapore airlines and stopped off in Singapore for 3 days.

Phil

Guest TraceyT

Hi,

I spoke to Singapore Airlines last week before booking and she confirmed that an unstamped permanent visa meant we got 40kg each (no more than 32kg per bag) but as many bags as you liked. The golf bag had to be included in the weight unfortunately.

Tracey x

Guest The Dimmocks
    Get on the A380 if you can its awesome...:)

HG

Think we are on an A380, I wrote it down but can't find the piece of paper. I know it a double decker and think it an A330 Singapore to Adelaide. Can't wait :jiggy:

i flew out one way with singapore and they were very lenient at heathrow when i explained that i was leaving the uk forever and i thought that my bags were a " little bit over the limit". maybe they took pity on me and 4 small children but i didn't have any problems. Regardless of the luggage issue i would not fly with any one else now, the service was absolutely fantastic. hope this helps