Guest doublems

475, could definitely be better....

Guest doublems

Hi all.

I was hoping somebody could let me know if it was just me or if it is the visa making life a bit difficult. I've noticed amongst the threads that it might be the visa...

I'm currently living in Adelaide after coming over in May 2009 on my 475 visa. All was good and well, and took the first couple of weeks off to arrange for a flat, car, exploring, etc. It was when I started searching for work that I began to get a bit worried. MANY jobs(especially larger companies) very clearly states in bold: ONLY Aus citizens or PR may apply. I didnt even get a reply to 95% of my applications, and many of them was pretty much entry level or part time. So its not that I was being picky or applying out of my league. 475 is for skilled migrants(ie, degree educated and/or experience) I changed my CV to state: probationary PR with a link to explain what 475 is... At present I'm employed as a full time casual on commission only. (This raises another concern when looking to move over to PR)

Secondly, trying to get car finance is out of the question. You must have PR to even apply to again 99% of institutions. I allready paid 3 months rent in advance because I guess the "trust" issue of the visa and now have to buy a $10000 car cash too since my cheapie I bought when I arrived is on its last legs.

I can go on for a while on many small issues where I just found that the 475 is not really recognised(insurance, bank accounts, money transfers even) so I usually state either work visa or PR which its is neither, but those are the two options available on most forms.

Now, I was never hoping for handouts or privilages but it feels a bit like discrimination. Companies dont want to worry, therefor they weed out all student/tourist/other visas which makes it hard to try and explain to the recruitment agent that you are, I guess, a fencesitter. They dont want to research what its all about since it will change again tomorrow...

I am very fortunate to be in Aus, I understand there were some major changes soon after I left and will happily do all by the book to move on to PR. I just wish that these bridging visas were more acceptable or that at least somebody in the state or federal government were aware that their "skilled" migrants are stuck sometimes working at K-Mart, Mcdonalds or cleaning since companies dont want to know anything about us and dont want to risk finance to help stimulate the economy.

Is it just me or is this a known issue. Any feedback would be great.

Guest Nick11

No its not easy being on a 475 visa. Yon need money behind you to be comfortable as getting credit can be a pain.

Even harder if you have kids as you pay the full whack for childcare.

Can't say that being on a 475 has been a barrier to getting a job though - but can depend on the profession you are in.

It does get easier , but takes time.

We are on the 475, just like most of our friends here and none of us have had any problems getting work and we all do completely different jobs. You can get finance from Jarvis Ford on South Road, we didnt take it up but you can defo get it on a 475 visa go in and speak to the finance guy and its no problem. It is difficult, we have 2 children in full time childcare but time flies so quickly and the permanent residency will be here before you know it.

Keep trying, I came across no discrimination for employment with the visa type, other people may say different but I can speak for 6 families I know on this visa who are all working in what they wanted to on arrival.

Hope this helps

Denise

We have had no problems getting employment on a 475. The question of residency never arose at any of my interviews, both my sons are in full time employment and Jamie our eldest even managed to secure a permanent position working for the SA Govt.

As for finance, I got a credit card no problem and being a Mortgage Broker, I know that you can get a mortgage too.

Don't be put off by the job ads that say PR only. I think they are just trying to discourage people who are on WHV's.

Howard.

Guest doublems

Thanks all for the feedback. Sounds like it might just be a slump I'm going through, just felt discouraged when the finance wasn't approved for the vehicle. Its probably since I've only been here 6 month, ie 6 month credit file. Reading my post again, it sounded like I was complaining, which I wasn't trying to do. I'm loving it here and work is going well, it was a great move. I guess it was just that I was eager to rebuild my life quickly. Thanks again

Guest fuji70
    Thanks all for the feedback. Sounds like it might just be a slump I'm going through, just felt discouraged when the finance wasn't approved for the vehicle. Its probably since I've only been here 6 month, ie 6 month credit file. Reading my post again, it sounded like I was complaining, which I wasn't trying to do. I'm loving it here and work is going well, it was a great move. I guess it was just that I was eager to rebuild my life quickly. Thanks again

I've just got a job after 40+ applications and don't start me on why I think that was!! I'm just about to buy a car, but I'm going to get a runabout as I don't want to be mired in debt if poss.

It is a pain in the arse, many potential employers DON'T understand that a 475 can/will lead to PR, lots need convincing.

Enjoy it all while you can and hopefully as people here have said, it'll get easier. To my mind and experience, it all depends who it is that picks up your resume, finance app et etc and there are no hard and fast rules.