My Story UK to Adelaide back to UK.

soccer65

Guest Guest75
i did not insult anyone just mearly said good riddance

Sorry...... I for one ain't messing anymore - byebye - banned!

I don't mind an Aussie point of view - and boy I mix with enough - but trolling is another matter..Just hitting the ban button now.:mad:

Sorry...... I for one ain't messing anymore - byebye - banned!

I don't mind an Aussie point of view - and boy I mix with enough - but trolling is another matter..Just hitting the ban button now.:mad:

Bravo Tyke - just make sure he doesn't come back under a different user name. :arghh:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest BinLangley

We can understand and sympathise with your situation. My wife Liz is also a nurse at Flinder Hos. I am going to retrain and am waiting to hear later this month if I have been excepted for Uni after sitting a STATS test.

It's been a stressfull and very expensive few months since we've arrived because we are still waiting for our gear and have a 9 month old daughter.

The isolation with no friends or family here is a bigger factor than we imagined.

What made it easier for us was that Liz took the time to research and gain a permanent residency visa for us which helps you qualify for all sorts of things such as centrelink, baby bonus, single income allowance, childcare discount and medicare etc and no restriction on where we can work and what we can do.

We spent 3 months at the mother in laws before emigrating after selling the house and although it was amicable, we were both glad to get away and would book a hotel in the U.K. rather than staying with her when we vist in the future.

What we've also found is that it's one thing to come over for a holiday, but a totally different ball game to be living in a new country, but we are determined to make a go of it and things are getting a little easier.

Good luck with everything and keep in touch if you need to.

Tim, Liz and Melissa.

Guest mayjess
We can understand and sympathise with your situation. My wife Liz is also a nurse at Flinder Hos. I am going to retrain and am waiting to hear later this month if I have been excepted for Uni after sitting a STATS test.

It's been a stressfull and very expensive few months since we've arrived because we are still waiting for our gear and have a 9 month old daughter.

The isolation with no friends or family here is a bigger factor than we imagined.

What made it easier for us was that Liz took the time to research and gain a permanent residency visa for us which helps you qualify for all sorts of things such as centrelink, baby bonus, single income allowance, childcare discount and medicare etc and no restriction on where we can work and what we can do.

We spent 3 months at the mother in laws before emigrating after selling the house and although it was amicable, we were both glad to get away and would book a hotel in the U.K. rather than staying with her when we vist in the future.

What we've also found is that it's one thing to come over for a holiday, but a totally different ball game to be living in a new country, but we are determined to make a go of it and things are getting a little easier.

Good luck with everything and keep in touch if you need to.

Tim, Liz and Melissa.

Hi tim, can I ask how the STAT test was, my daughter will have to do this you see, shes 19 & didnt complete 2nd year of A levels.

Mayjess

• 1 month later...

hi guys this is more a msg for Lisa.... hope you remember me!!!..... i worked with you briefly on nicu here in adelaide. ive tried to friend request you on face book but it wont let me.....can you plz remove the block??? id love to stay in touch to hear all about and see the new baby!!!

i hope things are going well for you back home.xxx weve been here almost 2 yrs but i can honestly say i would never rule out moving back to the uk either.xxx

take care mel.xxx

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest DianeJ
theponting I am not offended by your comments I loved my stay in Adelaide but saying good riddance to my family is a different matter, they didnt like it and wanted me to take them back to the UK, if I ever visit this lovely country again I would like to have a face to face chat with you just to show you I am not a whinging pom but instead the best thing ever to be produced from the UK, something you can not say being 1 of the oz numpties. ;)

Hi Steve,

You sound like a top bloke.

Do you remember me?, we chatted on here when I was in Adelaide.

Hope things turn out really well for you and the new baby.

Can't say the same about my OH, he is about to jump ship here and abandon his children for a job in Adelaide!

cheers

Di

• 1 month later...
Guest Debbie
Its not for everyone we have been here 12 years and I would go back to the UK to live. We still feel Isolated even now after 12 years.

i can understand that feeling too .....

some take to it like a duck to water, others dont, for many many reasons, it doesnt necessarily mean one country is better or worse than any another,

Some of us are forever split, have family here and roots there or similar

• 3 weeks later...
Guest charlot

wow.. what a story.

We are flying back home next month after being in Adelaide for 12 months. I cant wait to be back.

We are not even applying for PR, we just want to get back into the same life we had a year ago, and think about this experience as a dream :-)))

C

just a quick update, baby Ethan was born on the 7th March and is coming on a real treat, Sam and Georgia are now back at the same school they left to come to Oz for to the great joy of all thier friends, Sam back playing football and rugby league and now getting touted by other teams ready to sign him up for next season, Georgia into horse riding and thinking of joining a drama school to follow her love of singing,dancing and acting, Lisa has now got herself a part time job back at the hospital and me it took me five weeks to find a job which I enjoy ( no more weekend nights for me ) got myself a club membership at Leeds United, booked to go to wembley for the rugby league challenge cup and most of all going down to local to see my old mates even more so at the moment with this heatwave we are having and been able to have a pint of icecold lager and watch the world cup on the big screens. Me and Lisa have often spoken about our Adelaide expierence and the general outcome is that one day Adelaide will benefit from our presence again, so you we will have just watch this space. All the best to everyone and enjoy yourselfs.

1 last thing for now COME ON ENGLAND, THREE LIONS ON OUR SHIRTS :)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest kangomik

Hey soccer good to see things are going well, but i have a question.

After making the trip across the globe (twice) do you now feel things are now more achievable for you and your family as long as you put the effort in?

Guest Guest75
hello

Just wondering,did you go back to Leeds or are you still here?

We are from Horsforth and only arrived in feb this yr

kindest regards

Clare

Horseforth??

We are from Pudsey originally.

Small world!

Guest Guest75
My mum lives in Pudsey and used to run The White Cross pub. We are from Crossgates in Leeds, very small world;)

Years ago you might have been into a shop we had in Pudsey

We had the frozen food shop in Lowton called Topfreeze

Guest nicandchris

Hi what a moving story. I have a job lined up in Adelaide (nursing) and we are just starting the process of visa's etc and just taken my english test (waiting for the results). My OH is not so keen, living in Yorkshire with the beautiful countyside and with the prospect of leaving the dogs and i know that if it doesnt turn out ok that it will be MY FAULT! I keep harping on about it being a better life for us all including our 5 month son who will be 18 months by then. please please tell me that it wont all be for nothing and that we wont have a similar experience to you (of course you cant), but this is all making me feel very nervous about the whole thing!

Guest tess4

hi nick and chris...we have been here a yr now and have to say we are all struggling and im already going home for a holiday in a few weeks to see if it helps with the homesickness. if you have a good circle of friends it can make things a lot easier but if you dont then it can be very lonely. it probably depends on how outgoing you are. my hubby is very outgoing and im a bit quieter so he is coping better than me. adelaide is a lovely place to bring up the kids and if you can break the ties easily from back home it definately worth the move. in my experience i wish i hadnt made the move as i now feel family is the most imprtant thing but evreyone has to make that decision for themself and the only way to know how you will feel is to try it. good luck with everthing xxx

• 3 months later...
Guest londongirl

thanks for the great post. I wonder how many others there are with a similar story....Those 'wanted down under' Oz migration promo progs have a lot to answer for

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 1975micky
hi nick and chris...we have been here a yr now and have to say we are all struggling and im already going home for a holiday in a few weeks to see if it helps with the homesickness. if you have a good circle of friends it can make things a lot easier but if you dont then it can be very lonely. it probably depends on how outgoing you are. my hubby is very outgoing and im a bit quieter so he is coping better than me. adelaide is a lovely place to bring up the kids and if you can break the ties easily from back home it definately worth the move. in my experience i wish i hadnt made the move as i now feel family is the most imprtant thing but evreyone has to make that decision for themself and the only way to know how you will feel is to try it. good luck with everthing xxx

Hi ive been here 3 months now with my hubbie and two kids aged 4 and 7. I too am struggling with feeling very homesick! being here has made me realise how much my family means to me! i cant even skype my parents as we all find it too difficult to speak!! have decided to try and last at least 12 months, tour around australia and then if i feel the same i will begin the journey home!!

Have found it incredibly difficult to find jobs here and affordable housing! prices seem to have gone through the roof since we visited 3 years ago!!!!!

• 1 month later...
Guest danlee101

Hi

Wow, what a story and hats off to all of you who try, nothing but admiration. I can say this because I am Australian, my wife is German and we've done 'the move' more than once.

I left Oz with a dream of living overseas.

Met a nice girl (now wife of 14yrs) and decided to 'return' to Oz.

My wife had to do the whole visa thing.

This was my first taste of the experience of moving away from family and seeing and feeling the isolation through my wife.

We lived mostly in Melb (I'm from Adelaide) and whilst we loved it, no family there.

I, yes me the Aussie, decided to pack us (our first born was 11mths) off to the UK with nothing but a few $ and a good dash of faith and hope.

Round 2, I loved it there but now we both had a sense of isolation having no family but at least we were closer to my wifes parents in Germany.

Had to setup bank accounts, get accommodation, jobs etc.

I pushed aside my own personal feeling of missing Australia and did not return home for a short break until 5yrs into our UK stint!

Roll forward 8yrs and yep, time to move again. 2nd child approach school age so it was either stay in UK or go to Oz. Still haven't sold our house there yet (in Handforth, Cheshire)

Had to do the whole Visa application again, and this time to Adelaide, my home with family and some friends. You might think being from here originally was easy but in many respects it wasn't (with the exception of citizenship/residency of course). I totally respect my wifes courage to move here again for the benefit of us as a family. We've been back over 2yrs now and haven't looked back.

I could not pick up my old life here, been away from Adelaide for 12 or so years so In some respects I also started again.

The reason for sharing this is simply to let you know how much I respect you for your desire for a different life, your courage and your persistence. The decision to emigrate is huge, the advertising and support available leaves a lot to be desired.

If for whatever reason you decide to return then that also takes courage. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

and finally, can I say (with authority having lived extensively on both sides of the world), it's not the 'Poms' (said with respect) who are the whingers, us Aussies give it a good go too (and we are also not all bronzed and muscled either are we?). Hopefully some of the locals have broadened their own horizons and grow a little empathy!

Keep well all

Dan