Power or Crows

Guest familygood

Guest Kazzarazza

West Coast Eagles weren't a relocated club when they joined in 1987. You didn't mention Port Adelaide's original bid - you obviously realised your own inaccuracies. Teacher no - just been in SA a long time.

Guest Kazzarazza

What a load of twaddle! Try telling that to all the thousands of "life-long" Collingwood, Essendon, Carlton, Richmond, fans etc. Maybe you could also take a look at how many South Aussies played in the VFL prior to the 80's and how big the State of Origin matches were, if you think people weren't interested in anything outside of SA.

The concept of a national comp was evident throughout the 80's - the name change to AFL was just a formality when SA finally put a team in and all mainland states were represented.

Cheers, Kazza

What a load of twaddle! Try telling that to all the thousands of "life-long" Collingwood, Essendon, Carlton, Richmond, fans etc. Maybe you could also take a look at how many South Aussies played in the VFL prior to the 80's and how big the State of Origin matches were, if you think people weren't interested in anything outside of SA.

The concept of a national comp was evident throughout the 80's - the name change to AFL was just a formality when SA finally put a team in and all mainland states were represented.

Cheers, Kazza

Believe whatever you wnat, however the AFL was formed lock stock and barrel in 1990. Before then it was a growing VFL and a SANFL.....state of origin was PLAYER origin nothing to do with where the clubs were, just like the Rugby League one still is, so I am not sure what your point is TBH.

Anyhow I am off on holiday now for a week, with no internet access..so you can try and convince other on here i am wrong without me answering back :-)

Believe whatever you wnat, however the AFL was formed lock stock and barrel in 1990. Before then it was a growing VFL and a SANFL

Although I know Adelaidenow won't read this for a week or so -if at all - I just want to make these points :

The AFL is what used to be the VFL-

1990 The decade begins a new era in the game, the Victorian Football League becomes the Australian Football League, acknowledging the national expansion, with clubs now in Sydney, Queensland & Perth, and the league adopts the much more national official name. http://www.afl.com.au/development/aflexplained/history/tabid/10296/default.aspx

That the SANFL is separate to the VFL/AFL and:

the SANFL is not only the oldest surviving football league of any code in the nation but also one of the oldest competitions in the world

http://www.sanfl.com.au/the_sanfl/history_of_the_sanfl/

Plus Port:

formally applied to field a team in the Australian Football League (as the VFL had been re-christened the previous year) from 1991. (ie.six years before they were accepted as an AFL team)

http://www.fullpointsfooty.net/port_adelaide_(3).htm

All just as Kazzarazza has explained.:wubclub:

As for the atmosphere? Well, I've never been to any of the places mentioned by you and Jomark so I can't make a comparison, but whatever you say (and we are both entitled to our opinions) I love the footy at AAMI and will be there again this year - without knitting needles!

As for feral Port supporters? Don't care as long as they don't get violent/drunk or abusive when my kids are around. Which ever team you go for, it should be fun and normally it is. Go Crows! Or whoever you want, I don't care! I remember one Showdown and there was one guy barracking for Power and the rest for Crows...their banter and squaring off to one another just added to the game! They were good natured larrikins the lot of them!

...And to think the OP only wanted to know which team to go for....sigh!

:) LC

(Can't believe I've just spent time on the net trying to prove this!)

as said above weve (my 6yo and me)have been to a showdown and were surrounded by power fans and had a good bit of banter going on.the players also do a lot of stuff for the kids linked to auskick.we went to a pie night last season for sighings and photos expecting a couple of players to turn up,they were all there and they were all great with the kids hanging around after the official time to make sure no kids were left out.as for the atmosphere its nice to go and not hear 20000 people calling one a w"£$%^r.

Although I know Adelaidenow won't read this for a week or so -if at all - I just want to make these points :

The AFL is what used to be the VFL-

1990 The decade begins a new era in the game, the Victorian Football League becomes the Australian Football League, acknowledging the national expansion, with clubs now in Sydney, Queensland & Perth, and the league adopts the much more national official name. http://www.afl.com.au/development/aflexplained/history/tabid/10296/default.aspx

That the SANFL is separate to the VFL/AFL and:

the SANFL is not only the oldest surviving football league of any code in the nation but also one of the oldest competitions in the world

http://www.sanfl.com.au/the_sanfl/history_of_the_sanfl/

Plus Port:

formally applied to field a team in the Australian Football League (as the VFL had been re-christened the previous year) from 1991. (ie.six years before they were accepted as an AFL team)

http://www.fullpointsfooty.net/port_adelaide_(3).htm

All just as Kazzarazza has explained.:wubclub:

As for the atmosphere? Well, I've never been to any of the places mentioned by you and Jomark so I can't make a comparison, but whatever you say (and we are both entitled to our opinions) I love the footy at AAMI and will be there again this year - without knitting needles!

As for feral Port supporters? Don't care as long as they don't get violent/drunk or abusive when my kids are around. Which ever team you go for, it should be fun and normally it is. Go Crows! Or whoever you want, I don't care! I remember one Showdown and there was one guy barracking for Power and the rest for Crows...their banter and squaring off to one another just added to the game! They were good natured larrikins the lot of them!

...And to think the OP only wanted to know which team to go for....sigh!

:) LC

(Can't believe I've just spent time on the net trying to prove this!)

I actually leave in one hour...so my last post :-)

http://www.sportingpulse.com/assoc_page.cgi?client=1-118-0-0-0

The VFL still exists (above is the website) as does the SANFL...they are totally 100% separate, so your attempted history lesson is wrong...sorry :biglaugh:

The AFL is new, the other comps still continue as they did before.

Guest familygood

Cheers all for your responses - cant say I understood them all or that it has made my choice any clearer but nice one all the same.

Guess I'll just have to throw myself in and go and see them both at some stage and see where it goes from there - cant support both - just not done.

Hope to catch up with some of you at the aami over the next few months for a few cold beers and a good old sing song "build a bonfire...build a bonfire......"

Cheers all....Family Good

Guest Kazzarazza

The VFL still exists (above is the website) as does the SANFL...they are totally 100% separate, so your attempted history lesson is wrong...sorry :biglaugh:

The AFL is new, the other comps still continue as they did before.

Sorry, Lazy Cow was, and still is, right and you are wrong again, I'm afraid. It is nothing like before. There is still a VFL - no-one disputed that - but it is now nothing more than a competition of Victorian AFL-based team RESERVES.

http://www.sportingpulse.com/assoc_page.cgi?client=1-118-0-0-0

Heaven help me but I've bitten again.:rolleyes:

Thanks for the website address. Perhaps if you'd read it properly before posting, you might have realised it actually didn't prove your point. However, and this along with Kazzarazza's explanation might help you, 'your' website states:

Victoria's oldest league was formed in 1877 as the Victorian Football Association (VFA). The league was re-branded as the VFL in 1996

(So not the original VFL, more of an SANFL?)

Please don't make us explain further.

Whilst I appreciate you are really the most 'argumentative one', perhaps the time has come to accept you can be an absolute expert on soccer, but still have a bit to learn re. footy - I'm happy to admit I have.:)

LC

Guest Wersal Gummage
Not sure I would 'barrack' for either. Australian (no) Rules Football seems to be a game for the easily pleased. Surely you would only watch it for the comedy element. Men running around in early 1980s ill-fitting tight 'soccer' shorts and vests (it's not that hot here - especially during the 'footy' season) and those ridiculous goal judges who, in their moments of fame, take themselves so seriously by signaling a goal like a member of the ground crew in The Dam Busters would signal 'chocks away'. You also manage to get points for missing the goal for goodness sake. Also, there would be no international matches for you to watch. The rest of the world has clearly said 'thanks, but I've got a jelly setting' when asked if they'd like to take it up and arrange a game. Don't waste your money. Stop in and watch Australian ads on TV, and then slit your wrists.

Yes but what about the Australian rules Football world cup ? :nah: not going to happen is it.

Guest Rob and Clare
footy is a mans game, not like the overpaid -------------------- that play soccer............"oh my shin got tapped, send him off"

Stevo

I do agree with the embarrassment of going down like a tonne of bricks when players get their foot tapped in proper football, but come on..... AFL a mans game ???.... 36 players looking like they are fighting over a bar of soap in the showers whilst wearing shorts some parts of the crowd at the Gay mardi gras in Sydney would be ashamed to wear.

AFL is a more powerful, faster game, which you can either enjoy or not. I personally find the sport ok, but there is no skill in scoring, so you don't need to see all goals, catching (marking) the ball appears to be the skillful bit, so you only need to watch the last 5 mins and if one team is a long way in front then it's alreay all over, but if it's close, then the last 5 mins can be exciting as it's just so easy to score.

footy is a mans game, not like the overpaid ------------ that play soccer............"oh my shin got tapped, send him off"

Stevo

You've got a bit of a thing about calling soccer players '******'. As kids use this forum don't you think you need to work on how you phrase things?

Heaven help me but I've bitten again.:rolleyes:

Thanks for the website address. Perhaps if you'd read it properly before posting, you might have realised it actually didn't prove your point. However, and this along with Kazzarazza's explanation might help you, 'your' website states:

Victoria's oldest league was formed in 1877 as the Victorian Football Association (VFA). The league was re-branded as the VFL in 1996

(So not the original VFL, more of an SANFL?)

Please don't make us explain further.

Whilst I appreciate you are really the most 'argumentative one', perhaps the time has come to accept you can be an absolute expert on soccer, but still have a bit to learn re. footy - I'm happy to admit I have.:)

LC

OK, who won the VFL in 2007 and who won the AFL in 2007? Separate teams under the Same name.....2 leagues :)

BTW, I know a lot about AFL, it's not hard to read up on the history, it has less than 20 years :biglaugh:

Guest panther
OK, who won the VFL in 2007 and who won the AFL in 2007? Separate teams under the Same name.....2 leagues :)

BTW, I know a lot about AFL, it's not hard to read up on the history, it has less than 20 years :biglaugh:

This has been a good debate and some people are aware the true story

GO YOU CROWS