Guest the4hopes

Ants outside, how can I get rid of them?

Guest the4hopes

We constantly have trails of ants out the front of our house, its very difficult to get to the car or post box without a colony hitch hiking on my legs, as for standing out there to say goodbye to friends, no way! One trail goes about 30 feet from the pavement, under the gate to the back garden past the patio door! Anyone know a way to get rid of them permanently. :goofy:

Guest the4hopes

Thanks for your help, we would have to cover the whole front path and pavement, so they would probably take over the lawn, with their mates, who are already there then go back when the dust has gone! I think I am probably looking for a magic solution that I won't find, still miracles do occur.

Guest Guest75

Ant sand.

Spread a line around your house and sweep into the cracks in the pavers.

Find their tracks and pop some on those - If you can find the nests and sprinkle around those as well.

Guest the4hopes

Thanks Tyke, it sounds a bit like The Spiderwick Chronicles!( mind you, they were keeping trolls out, ha ha!) I will give it a go!!

Guest Guest75
    Thanks Tyke, it sounds a bit like The Spiderwick Chronicles!( mind you, they were keeping trolls out, ha ha!) I will give it a go!!

No worries - I'm an expert on the little blighters - our land is full of em'

Keep at it and persevere!

Guest caoimhe

I thought that was our job anyway:biglaugh:

We just sprayed the outsides of the house yesterday with 'home defender'...the bins were covered with ants and it killed them all, supposed to keep them at bay for at least 6 weeks. Now just need to get rid of the mouse:arghh:

Ant- rid is great.It,s a sticky solution,just add a drop to where they are,they all congregate to it,it poisons them slowly,and they take it back to the nest,to kill all inhabitants there,or at least that's what it says on the bottle,seems to work though.

I've found ant sand works, but not ant rid - our ants seem to like it, and the bring all their friends along to party with them round the ant-rid deposit! Doesn't seem to reduce their numbers in any way...

Have heard that sprinkling talc around stops them (in the same way as the ant sand does), and that does have the bonus of looking very christmassy as the talc looks like snow on the ground...

Guest Wersal Gummage

Ant rid is the best, and sand does not work and using Talc is just a myth.

Guest the4hopes

Well thanks everyone for your help, I think I have enough things to try now, so the post can be closed. How such a simple question can be completely destroyed, its beyond me!

I may let you know the results but I don't think I can be bothered.

Guest seasalt

If you know where they are coming from pouring boiling water on them is suppose to work.