Tennents Rights

Guest micky

Hi

Please can anyone help me. We have not long moved into a rental which is with an agent. The landlord does not want us to contact the agent with any faults as he wants to fix them himself.

Which I do not have a problem with unless they don't seem to think that it is a fault.

What right do we have, if any, to get things fixed? I don't want to upset the Landlord but if something is broken surely they should fix it.

Any advice you can give would be really helpful.

Ta

Mickey

Guest Guest75

It's a waste of time the landlord having an agent if they are going to be like this.Obviously wanting to save money - which will cost em in the long run.

All repairs should be done within a "reasonable" time.

Repair requests should be put through the agent - you would probably find them much more responsive and they will have a team of skilled professionals to call upon.I'd certainly keep the agent onside ;)

If it doe get drawn out I'd be looking at the OCBA web site and reading the fine print in your lease.

Good luck

Guest the4hopes

I think it should go through the agent, you don't want to be seen as the awkward ones for when you need a reference, although our agents are very very slow, infact I think they have stopped, they do nothing!!

Hi thanks for your replies will just have to wait and see what happens with the repairs. If they don't do them then suppose will have to speak to the agent.

They have been pretty good but they seem to have stopped now saying they have done enough saying you just need to do this or that or jiggle that.

Guest Guest75
Hi thanks for your replies will just have to wait and see what happens with the repairs. If they don't do them then suppose will have to speak to the agent.

They have been pretty good but they seem to have stopped now saying they have done enough saying you just need to do this or that or jiggle that.

Any luck so far???

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Tyke

They have done some stuff and the other stuff I am just going to have to put it down to quirks! They don't seem to want to resolve they say it's just old. oh well.

Micky

Guest The Pickles
No it's not a secret just don't want to get into all the niggly things that may or may not be an issue. What's an issue for some might not be for others - if you get me.

I think it is just the way this house is, old, tired and not been very well looked after.

We're in the same situation as you, we moved into a house that literally looked like the owner had just gone out to the shops... it was filthy and soooo over furnished, she'd even left 30 year old Cinzano in the cabinet and personal pictures on the walls!

The washing machine only washed in cold water, we were told by the agent that's how the owner liked it and she never had any problems getting clothes clean (she clearly didn't have a 4 year old). It took weeks for them to get an engineer out and lo and behold, there was a problem with the temperature control. Then the fridge kept filling up with water, we were told to stick a skewer into the 'back bit' which would unblock it... eventually, an engineer came out and replaced the thermostat. We had virtually no heating in Winter, again we had to email and email before they sent someone out to look at it. A pipe had fallen off a duct in the roof and the roof space was being heated instead of the house.

We are slowly giving up on reporting any issues and perhaps we're unlucky but at the end of the day, we pay rent on time and all we want is a nice place to live which we want to make our home.

Hope it gets better for you... we're soooo bored of it but it's a nice house in a good area so I suppose we'll grin and bear it.

Marilyn