Guest Damien

Rental Assistance

Guest Damien

Hi All!

We are a family of four due to arrive in Adelaide in March. We are lucky enough to have pr visa so qualify for some benefits. I'm hoping to find work as a bricky but we have two young kids so the mrs will have to wait a while before being able to work. How do we go about claiming rent assistance and how much is it per week? Is it means tested? Do we just make an appointment with the local benefit office?

It's all questions, questions, questions at the mo. Beginning to panic a bit with the move so close :arghh:

Damo

When you apply for child benefit, which is means tested, they automatically see if you qualify for rent assistance, if you do it is paid fortnightly with your child benefits. I think you qualify if your rent is more than $350 a fortnight. We did not qualify so I'm sorry I can't tell you how much it would be.

I think you qualify if your rent is more than $350 a fortnight.

Can you tell me if i am reading this correctly..

$175 a week for a rental?

I have not seen anything here in Adelaide for that little amount.

Maybe i am reading your info incorrectly.

Thanks Rob

Guest guest569

:biglaugh: Unfortunately i don't think you'll find a $175 a week rental.

It must be means tested. We couldn't believe it !! When we arrived 4 years ago there was plenty of nice rentals around at $210 -$230 a week. We found one that suited us better but it was $260:shocked: this was our choice though so was suprised at getting assistance.

Just been on the centrelink website and it says you are eligble for rent assistance if you pay rent of MORE than $192.50 per fortnight if you are a couple with dependant kids.

Check out

www.centrelinkrentassistance

hope the link works I'm usually crap at this sort of thing.

Can you tell me if i am reading this correctly..

$175 a week for a rental?

I have not seen anything here in Adelaide for that little amount.

Maybe i am reading your info incorrectly.

Thanks Rob

If you claim family assistance it should say on your letter (the one that says how much you are entitled to) under important information, it should say whether you are getting it or not. If unsure phone them and ask.

I did check the website this morning and rent assistance is paid if you pay MORE than $192.50 per fortnight for private rented accom if you are a couple with kids.

www.centrelink as previous link was no good.