Guest bugbabe

urban/country areas?

Guest bugbabe

Hi,

this may seem like a really obvious question, but I cant find the answer on Google so thought I would ask you lot ;)

Obviously, urban areas are central Adelaide, but where do the 'country' areas start? Are the Adelaide Hills classed as 'country'? Or maybe further south in Victor Harbour? Or are we talking way into the outback in a tiny town with a population of 12?

Teaching jobs are easier to come by on 'country' areas, so wanted to just have a look what my options are.

Cheers :)

Guest moonraker1959

I used to live in the Adelaide Hills(not what they call the foothills but way over the foothills)and yes it was definately classed as country!Vic Harbour is also classed as country.Go north and places like Freeling(my two brothers live there)are country.I would say anything further than say 200km from the CRB would be classed as "Out in the boondocks!:biglaugh:If you have a town in mind,pm me and I will try and give you some more info on them.

This page on the DECS (Department of Education and Children's Services) website lists all the regions of SA along with their relevant responsible placement officers. Although I think Russell Bartlett is the overall boss of that department.

This Tourism SA page explains the different regions.

All applications for DECS employment are done online now.

The City area now extends to Gawler in the north and Christies Beach in the South, maybe even past that. I presently work in the northern region and have been with DECS since 1988.

If you want a better chance of getting permanence then country teaching is the way to go. People that I graduated with are still not permanent mainly because they refuse to leave the city.

Guest Guest75

Even have a look at McLaren Vale, McLaren Flat and Willunga.

I not sure if they are classed as country but definitely not urban.

Guest guest3462

We are inAldinga beach, close to Willunga and Mc Vale and we are classed as outer metro! Hope that helps x

Guest Guest75
    We are inAldinga beach, close to Willunga and Mc Vale and we are classed as outer metro! Hope that helps x

They have an "Outer Metro" zone now??

Boy,the council loves to complicate things!!

Can't wait until the "Just vaguely farming " region comes in:biglaugh:

They have an "Outer Metro" zone now??

Boy,the council loves to complicate things!!

Can't wait until the "Just vaguely farming " region comes in:biglaugh:

DECS guidelines have always been that commuting distance should only be 45km. That was always by road, then some smarta**e in DECS tried to amend it to "as the crow flies".:shocked:

Teachers in Whyalla quickly pointed out that while Port Pirie was only about 15km away, and easily visible from Whyalla, the only way to get there was via Port Augusta, a trip of 167 km, one way.:arghh:

Hi,

this may seem like a really obvious question, but I cant find the answer on Google so thought I would ask you lot ;)

Obviously, urban areas are central Adelaide, but where do the 'country' areas start? Are the Adelaide Hills classed as 'country'? Or maybe further south in Victor Harbour? Or are we talking way into the outback in a tiny town with a population of 12?

Teaching jobs are easier to come by on 'country' areas, so wanted to just have a look what my options are.

Cheers :)

Hi,

read all the replies, esp link to DECS.

Some on here have a fair bit of experience in looking for work in the state sector. I gave up on the state sector after listening to expats and Australian teachers. If you want to get a perm job in the state system, it can be very hard.

I've met many Australians who have never had a permanent job as they have not done 'country' service. Some expats have found plenty of relief (supply) work but many find that unrewarding.

Cheers,

Cooler

Guest bugbabe

Thanks so much, all the replies have been really helpful. Would love to secure a teaching job (secondary English and Media) before we leave...anyone know of anyone who has done that? :)

Thanks so much, all the replies have been really helpful. Would love to secure a teaching job (secondary English and Media) before we leave...anyone know of anyone who has done that? :)

You'd need to try the independent sector but many jobs state that you have to be a resident. Maybe someone can offer some advice but certainly, many independent schools are faith based and there are a some where you would be expected to be a church goer. This includes those in country areas.

I know Nick11 has a fair bit of knowledge so eithe pm her or she'll pop a reply on here when next she's on.

Cooler