Guest Andrew&Ren

Learning to drive/passing test in SA

Guest Andrew&Ren

Hi all and happy new year!!!:)

Just need some advice from anyone who has learnt to drive here in SA.

I have stop started with lessons over the years in the uk but never actually taken the test due to various reasons. I can drive a car but need to build up my confidence on the road and of course do whats needed to finally get a licence!! I need to get it done and have decided 2010 is the year im going to do it.....

Ive researched a little about it and know i need to take a theory type test to get my "L" and then have minimum 50 hours driving (which i probably dont need!) to get my "P".

Can anyone give me an idea of cost of lessons?? the logbook way of doing it?? how it all works here?!?!

Much appreciated Ren :notworthy: x

Guest Andrew&Ren
    Very few South Australians have learned to drive, though lots seem to have passed their test. I wouldn't worry too much about your own ability.

:biglaugh: Your not wrong!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest Andrew&Ren

Getting a bit clearer on it all now after studying the website and past threads on here!

If anyone has any experience of doing the logbook way any advice?? Is it just hand over the completed logbook and you get the "P"??

Guest Andrew&Ren

Ive now found out exactly what i need to do so i thought i would post on here incase anyone in the future needs the info.

Firstly you need to pass a theory test at the SA service centre either in the City or at Marion. This costs $27 and once passed you get given your logbook and your "L"s.

The logbook can be completed by a driving instructor at an average cost of $75 a lesson or by a fully qualified driver ( even if they have only had an SA licence for a short time but can prove they had a UK one before).

The logbook is completed and signed off after 50 hrs of driving and then you need to take a 45mins practical test with an instructor costing around $100. Once this has been passed you get a certificate from the instructor and take this with your completed logbook to SA services and they then give you your "P" 1s...meaning you can drive!! After a year you then take another test for your "P" 2s!

Hope this is clear. It seems a very complicated process but i think its easier and cheaper than the UK.

Guest BinLangley

They actually have a driving test over here? I'm suprised.

Guest BinLangley

Took the words right out of my mouth. They know as much about good driving as I do about Nuclear Physics.

Well said Meldrew.

I have never seen such bad driving in my life as in Adelaide.No thought for their own safety,or anyone elses,weaver birds and tailgaters everywhere,and the overtaking and undertaking a few yards from a red light,just to screech to a halt,what's that all about?:nah:

Guest Guest5035
    I have never seen such bad driving in my life as in Adelaide.No thought for their own safety,or anyone elses,weaver birds and tailgaters everywhere,and the overtaking and undertaking a few yards from a red light,just to screech to a halt,what's that all about?:nah:

Thats why there are so many accidents here, cause no one drives like the quote.

Stevo