Sign in to follow this  
Guest gina&alan

moving to adelaide in 2 months

Guest gina&alan

Hi Guys can anyone please help with some information, we are looking to move to Adelaide in march as my wife intends to start a hairdressing college in the CBD she has to study for 2 years before we can apply for residency, this is really our last chance having been let down time after time by false promises for the last 5 years in living down under.She is 43 in april and has to study for 2 years befor the age of 45, we have to move very quickly,I have my own wood flooring business website is http://www.profloorsanding.com but this will not help me as i am over the age of 45 and cannot apply for residency.

We have to pay for the college course and our 7 year old son to got to school this is costing us over 50,000aud and the exchange rate is terrible, but this has taken most of our savings, What we need to know how easy would it to be to rent a house for under $350 a week in a nice area and good schools for our son ,and which area,s as looking at adelaide from a strangers point of view it looks quite daunting, The area must be if possible close to beaches be easy to take our boy to school and then my wife to get to college in the CBD bearing in mind he will have to go to early morning and and after school clubs, if and when i get a job, One more thing as the spouse i am only allowed to work 20 hours a week on her student visa so i wonder how easy it would be for me to get work with those restrictions, i am an experienced wood floor contractor (Fitting and sanding).We have a nice home in the UK and a decent lifestyle but i just want to get my children out of here now to give them a better chance at life in a warm safe enviorement what aus has to offer, Kindest regards to you all Alan & Gina

Pro Floor Sanding

http://www.profloorsanding.com

Solihull Hardwood Floors is a family run business with many years of experience in wood floor laying and restoration (sand and seal) to the domestic and commercial sectors.

Guest mOZzy

hello and soon welcome to adelaide :wub:

don't know any answers really - haven't been here that long either lol

but why don't you look somewhere with easy access to a train station

fares are cheap and from noarlunga to the cbd it's about 45 minutes.

and the further south the cheaper the houses i guess ...

hth

Guest Andrew Family

Hi Gina and Alan, I am so jealous. We cannot even apply until I have completed my UK course but hopefully be out there for December this year. I cannot help but I posted a similiar question which is located in the rental section the other day 'what areas would be suitable' as I am hoping to working the CBD. Hope it helps and all the best, Dawn

and the further south the cheaper the houses i guess ...

It's generally a case of the further out in any direction you go, the cheaper the housing. Although obviously you can't go all that far to the west without being in the sea.....

There are trains from the north and the south (Gawler I guess would be about 45 minutes away to the north), and lots of new builds in both the north and the south in terms of work for you. To the East you have the O-Bahn into the City (busses that run on rails and roads) mraning that's a fairly easy commute as well, and there is also a train line that goes from the North West (Port Adelaide) into the City, and one from the South East (Belair sort of area).

$350 a week should give you a fair amount of choice, avoiding the very exclusive areas. Have a look on somewhere like http://www.realestate.com.au and http://www.domain.com.au and put that in as your budget, should give you a fair cross-section.

Good luck, I know it's not a cheap way to come out here, and really feel for you, but try to keep focussed on the long term goal - a better lifestyle for your family and better childhood for your son - and hopefully things will come good for you in the end.

Diane

Guest Lesley

Hi, moved here in 2007 and family joined in 2008, rented furnished 2 bed apartment in central CBD originally and rent around 450/week for decent place, moved in August 2008 to unfurnished 3 bed house again in CBD and rent a around same............most 6 or 12 month lease, first lease in apartment 6 months as thought move quicker, renewed and rent rise:arghh:, next time rented house for 12 months as looking to buy and needed time to scope areas well.........if you move before end of lease you still need to pay unless new tenant takes up lease, so landlords not in a hurry to rent out, so watch that......shortage of good rental property in city, so can be hard to find and also they do open viewings e.g . will advertise open between 1 and 2pm Tuesday afternoon and thats it................now live in Belair in hills and takes 20 minutes by bus into CBD or 30 minutes by train.........husband has car as travels further to work. I live to South of city which is 20 minutes by car to great beach area................couldnt really get there by public transport (no direct route) or walk (too far), schools good close by and lots of school buses but to be honest mainly private schools and my daughter attends great private school, can't comment on quality of local public schools..........the further out cheaper the rent................good luck with renting, try viewing real estate sites e.g. Toop and Toop, City Reality, Domain for info