Guest lynnedodd

19 year old daughter arriving!!

Guest lynnedodd

Hi - we've been living here in Adelaide since Oct 2007 (lived in York in the North of England prior to mving out here) and have convinced our 19 yr old daughter to move out here (initally for one year but we are hoping for a permanent move!). She arrives on the 16th Jan and in order to help her give Adelaide "a go" we want to help her meet young people her own age rather than her being stuck with a couple of 40+ yr olds!! We're also wanting to expand our group of friends as well. So bearing both these things in mind are there any social events coming up that we can all come along to and meet some of you guys?

Cheers

Lynne

Hi Lynne

Hope that you find lots of new friends for your daughter!! We are moving over to Adelaide from Perth in March, we have a 22 & 20 year old but they are both back in the UK, would love for them to join us over here....just really wanted to wish you good luck.....and hope that your daughter loves it!!! Would be up for a meet up when we get over there in March!!

Julie

x

lol....no....had to come here as we were state sponsored, went to Adelaide years ago and loved it. Adelaide just ticks more boxes than Perth for us.

Guest jay

I'm south too and lived in York for a few years and have a 19 year old daughter

Weather is very different to York thankfully lol

Which part were you in and what school did your daughter go to - mine went to All Saints

Guest lynnedodd

Hi Julie - thanks for your email would love to meet up when you arrive just give us a shout

Cheers

Lynne

Guest lynnedodd

As you say the weather here is different - especially as the meoment from what we hear. had fried e,mail last night to say that York temperature was going down to -14 degrees.

We lived in Osbaldwick then Copmanthorpe - but I grew up in York - never moved out of the city proior to coming across here! Both our girls went to Archbishop Holgates on Hull Road then onto York College.

Is your daughter out here with you?

Cheers

Lynne & Gary

I'm south too and lived in York for a few years and have a 19 year old daughter

Weather is very different to York thankfully lol

Which part were you in and what school did your daughter go to - mine went to All Saints

Hi Julie - thanks for your email would love to meet up when you arrive just give us a shout

Cheers

Lynne

Definately will do!! xx

Guest Ledges

Hi,

We came from York in Sept and our 17 year old daughter went back after 3 weeks so we really know where you are coming from and know how much it will mean to you for her to like it here. Unfortunately I don't know anyone her age yet so can't be of much use BUT I will pray that it all works out for you all.

Caroline

Guest jay

Hi again

Yes she is here -we've been here 4 years now

used to go past Arch Bishop Holgate on the way to my folks lol

I went to York college too - small world hey - we were in Wigginton

Guest lynnedodd

Hi Caroline - sorry to hear that your daughter went back to the UK, that must have been difficult all round. That is one of our concerns, hence our trying to find kids her age for her to to meet up with and talk to about living here rather than her just hearing it from us oldies!

Thanks for your best wishes

Lynne

Hi,

We came from York in Sept and our 17 year old daughter went back after 3 weeks so we really know where you are coming from and know how much it will mean to you for her to like it here. Unfortunately I don't know anyone her age yet so can't be of much use BUT I will pray that it all works out for you all.

Caroline

Guest lynnedodd

As you say small world!

Our eldest daughter (living in Mackay) has been here 4 years and is just about to take her citizenship test - she has no desire whatsoever to head back to the UK - we're hoping Jess will feel the same once she settles in!

Hi Lynn both my Son aged nearly 21 and my daughter aged nearly 17 are coming over to Adelaide with on us on the 10th Feb. My daughter is not wanting to come with us and has left home once to avoid her coming to Adelaide with us. But at this moment in time we are forcing her to come. My Son is leaving professional football to come over, which is an extremely hard decision for him to make but he wants to come and give it a try nevertheless.

Obviously I share the same concerns as you have with your daughter, meeting new friends is paramount for the youngsters and also a great help for us oldies as well. On a previous post of mine (Older Teenagers/Young Adults Get-Together). I have stated that I am going to have a BBQ/drinks get together so this will help every newcomer in our situation meet people at their own age range and hopefully for well established younger members of this site will turn up and befriend us newcomers etc. We arrive on the 10th Feb, once settled I will let you know when it's going to happen.

Further if you want I can give you my kids facebook details and your daughter and my son and daughter can communicate with each other before both she arrives in Adelaide and before we do. If you want this then just ask ok!

Guest lynnedodd

Hi Tony - sounds like you have a similar situation to us with your daughter, Jess didn't want to come across here with us 2 yrs ago and went to live with her dad so she didn't have to come across. In hindsight I think it would have been better for Jess to have come across 2 yrs ago but unfortunatley she had her "get out clause"! Still - we are where we are now so hopefully she'll settle in and realised what life has to offer her across here. I'm really impressed with your son wanting to give Oz a go - good for him!

I saw your previous posting and flicked you an email about it - think it's a great idea, we've love to get involved. Let us know where you'll be living (we're South of the City) and if we can help out we'd be happy to do so.

If you want to send me your kids face book details I'll get Jess to contact them when she arrives at the weekend (so long as she can fly out of the UK!). That way they can start to make contact so the move might be less daunting for them all

Good luck with your final preps

Cheers

Lynne

Hi Lynn both my Son aged nearly 21 and my daughter aged nearly 17 are coming over to Adelaide with on us on the 10th Feb. My daughter is not wanting to come with us and has left home once to avoid her coming to Adelaide with us. But at this moment in time we are forcing her to come. My Son is leaving professional football to come over, which is an extremely hard decision for him to make but he wants to come and give it a try nevertheless.

Obviously I share the same concerns as you have with your daughter, meeting new friends is paramount for the youngsters and also a great help for us oldies as well. On a previous post of mine (Older Teenagers/Young Adults Get-Together). I have stated that I am going to have a BBQ/drinks get together so this will help every newcomer in our situation meet people at their own age range and hopefully for well established younger members of this site will turn up and befriend us newcomers etc. We arrive on the 10th Feb, once settled I will let you know when it's going to happen.

Further if you want I can give you my kids facebook details and your daughter and my son and daughter can communicate with each other before both she arrives in Adelaide and before we do. If you want this then just ask ok!

Guest Loo88
    Hi - we've been living here in Adelaide since Oct 2007 (lived in York in the North of England prior to mving out here) and have convinced our 19 yr old daughter to move out here (initally for one year but we are hoping for a permanent move!). She arrives on the 16th Jan and in order to help her give Adelaide "a go" we want to help her meet young people her own age rather than her being stuck with a couple of 40+ yr olds!! We're also wanting to expand our group of friends as well. So bearing both these things in mind are there any social events coming up that we can all come along to and meet some of you guys?

Cheers

Lynne

I'm 21, and got here on the 14th. Could REALLY do with hanging out with someone closer to my age - don't start Uni until March :arghh: At the moment i've just got my 15 year old sister for company!

My number is 0449070374 if she would like to give me a txt sometime, or my Facebook is lozzie_lauren@hotmail.com :cute:

Guest lynnedodd

Thanks for your posting and I'll pass your details on. Which suburb are you living in? We're South in Seaford

I'm 21, and got here on the 14th. Could REALLY do with hanging out with someone closer to my age - don't start Uni until March :arghh: At the moment i've just got my 15 year old sister for company!

My number is 0449070374 if she would like to give me a txt sometime, or my Facebook is lozzie_lauren@hotmail.com :cute:

Guest Loo88
    Thanks for your posting and I'll pass your details on. Which suburb are you living in? We're South in Seaford

No problem. I'm living in Glenelg atm

Guest lynnedodd

I've just asked Jess to contact you - she was on facebook so she's going to send a friend request

Cheers

No problem. I'm living in Glenelg atm

Guest Miss-Wales1987
    I've just asked Jess to contact you - she was on facebook so she's going to send a friend request

Cheers

Hi Lynnedodd. How are you? I live down South too, next door infact.. Moana. I moved to Adelaide a year ago and i am orig from South Wales, and i am desp to meet new friends here! I think it's harder to settle if you don't really know anyone, and as i am more of a socail type of person i find that i really struggle not having many friends here atm. I would be happy to meet up with your daugher for a coffee, chat, whatever she would like if she was interested? My email address is Miss_Taryn_Evans@hotmail.com She is more than welcome to email me if she wanted, or she can find me on Facebook with that email address. =) Taryn

P.S, Loo88. How are you settling in? Have you met many people here yet?

Guest Loo88

P.S, Loo88. How are you settling in? Have you met many people here yet?

Not too badly thanks...but...5 weeks and I still only know 1 person! Luckily, Uni starts next week :cute:

Do you work/study with people your own age? I'm worried i'll be here a year and still have no social life!

Guest Miss-Wales1987

Haha. You will be fine when you start UNI. You will meet so many people there. What are you studying? I work in Woodville South, with nobody my own age =( Plus they are all men. But that's ok. I am sure i will meet more people eventually.

How about you?? Are you working at the moment? How do you like Glenelg? I think it's beautiful there. Was actually down there last night at the Jetty Bar.

Do you have FB? x

Guest searknubley

Hi our Daughter is 19, 20 in Nov 2010 we live in West Lakes she's be happy to help or meet as she's not made too many friends herself yet.x

Guest searknubley

Cheers

Lynne

Hiya, we moved here in Oct 09 and we have a 19 year old Amiee Knubley she'd be happy to meet up and has her own car, we live at West Lakes though but we thought we'd offer as I (as her mother) truely know what a challenge it was for my daughter when we first moved. your daughter could facebook her? good luck Elaine & Stewart 39

Guest barb

Hi Lynne, cant believe this thread so many Yorkys,we are still living in York and hope to come out the end of this year when we sell our house.We have an 18 year old daughter who cant waite to get to Adelaid but just wonderd what was going on there for girls her age, is your daughter working if so did she find it easy to find work. KT our daughter is in her last year at college doing beauty therapy, but if poss would like to carry on and go to college in Adelaide doing media make up but have heard is very expensive. For all you York folk out there,spring is in the air at long last and the daffs are just starting to come out, today is 14c...tropical almost lol. Fish and chips are still great and will be one of the few things I shall miss.