Riponian

Nealry 3 Months in....

Hi

I have been wanting to post this or something like this for a while but not had the time really.

I just wanted to share our journey with folks to give them my story and how things have happened for us.

We were lucky enought to get our PR 175 Visa back in July after only submitting it in January. This is when the panic set in and the amount of stuff we had to do!!!!

We decieded the best way to make sure everything got done was to make a big long list and then allocate certain tasks to a given week leading up to the move.

I still can't believe how quickly those weeks past.

Before I knew it the packers were here and gone!

We were booked on a lunch time flight from Heathrow so we arrived early to check in. I am so glad we did, we knew we were over the 130kg that we were allowed but I made a nice face and the guy behind the desk could see our dilemma and he only charged us for 5kg instead of the 30kg we were over! I could not believe how lucky we were. My heart was racing and I thought I was going to cry!

The flight was great the kids were ok with the long flight to Singapore we did not mind we were on our way, I could not believe it! :shocked:

We finally arrived in Adelaide on a cold a windy morning freezing, tired and in shock! Michael from the car rental was there to meet us and drive us to our short term rental. There we were met by Tyke who was like an old freind welcoming you home. The first few days were a bit of a blur really through lack of sleep and being cold. (yes I was cold in October!)

The best advice we were given was try not to do too much and rest and enjoy it.

There was lots to do but you have to take things slowly don't rush into buying anything even a long term rental if you can help it.

I found Christmas strange and I was not unhappy and I did not want to return to the UK but felt a bit wierd. I finally figured out what was bothering it's that I can't believe we are here. I look out the window and I see sunshine and yellow grass but if feels surreal like I am dreaming.

We have had a hard few months getting work, rental and getting the kids settled but others have had it harder. I just count my lucky stars to be here :notworthy:

I don't miss anything apart from family and friends which I know will come and go. I have to say that thanks to this forum I have made a whole bunch of friends in similar situation. I have not met many Australians yet but they are hard to come by in little Britain. Those I have have been welcoming, happy to chat and forthcoming with help and advice.

I can say I am happy and I am proud to be living here with the fantasic beaches and the laid back lifestyle and I hope that as the days, months and years pass that it will stop feeling unreal and just be the norm.

Sorry to have ranted, I could have written much more :chatterbox:

If anyone wants to ask me anything then please do I am happy to share my limited experiance.

All the best to those here, those arriving and hoping to arrive - hopefully you will be as lucky as we are. Lets hope 2010 is a great year for us POMS

All the best to everyone on their life's journey where ever it takes you. :jiggy:

Fantastic post, and I wish you and your family all the best. You definitely seem to have the right attitude - I always used to think that the first few months after arriving, you're in a sort of shell shock, like after having a baby! One minute you're thinking "oh my god, what on earth have we done?!" and the next "wow! what have we done!"

Enjoy and be happy!

Diane

Guest The Dimmocks

Hi

Thanks for sharing your first 3 months. We so looking forward to it now, can't wait to be typing our first 3 months.

Michelle x

Guest Lauren & Alan

Thank you for sharing your update with us, it is lovely to hear you have adapted so well it doesnt seem like 5 minutes you posted you were going!

Guest kangomik

The three month post is a milestone, something you look forward to but never find find the right way to put in it. I look forward to seeing your 1 year post, and that time will fly by.

We went the beach last weekend sat there and wondered just how many Aussies take this for granted, the blue sky, slight breeze, blue warm sea and everyone happy as they stroll on the beach. When we arrived we just used to look up at the sky in amazement at how blue it was and how long it stayed blue for!

Hi Michelle, lovely to read about your 1st 3 months, it was nice meeting you and your family on xmas day, it was a bit surreal but by next year it will feel the norm to us.

Moira

Hi loved the letter

most of us think the same about missing family back in the uk espically

now the weather is really bad and we arnt able to check on them <im really feeling guilty feel like ive let them down >although they hopefully wouldnt

think so

glad your settling in the aussies we have met so far are lovely wouldnt swop

our neighbours for owt

Guest mOZzy

that's a great update michelle!

good to see you settling in so nicely :D

we are not far behind you :)