Guest Guest5035

Tradies wanted

Hey,

I am currently trying to change careers to hopefully be tiling...apart from the $750 TAFE course doesnt seem to be asy to get into.

Any tips?

Dan

Guest ben&sharon
    Hey,

I am currently trying to change careers to hopefully be tiling...apart from the $750 TAFE course doesnt seem to be asy to get into.

Any tips?

Dan

My husband changed careers a few years ago to become a plumber, and it is difficult to start up from nothing, but the key thing to do is get contacts. Ben's quite outgoing and confident in a pub situation, so he just went to our local tradies pub and got talking to people. The more people you meet, the more leads you get.

You might find you'll start off just doing bits for people, but that's a great way to boost your professional confidence, and will give you the workplace skills to tackle bigger jobs in your own name. And then the next thing is advertising - Ben had cards done, listed in the Yellow Pages etc etc. Over the course of the next 12 to 18 months he soon as much work as he could handle.

He's not started plumbing again over here just yet, and he's not sure if he will, but he's already layed the groundwork that will enable him to get a good start if he wants to - our local tavern (the Cove) is packed to the rafters with tradies, and I'm sure there'll be one near you.

Bite the bullet, get out there, and good luck!

Sharon.