Guest Rich&Jo

Cheaper Private Schools

Guest Rich&Jo

Hello!

We're moving out to Adelaide in a few months and are researching private schools (the cheaper end of the spectrum!) and are wondering if anyone knows what Pedare is like or other comparable private schools? We're looking at locating to the North East of Adelaide (Highbury, Golden Grove area) so ideally we're trying to find schools that are not too far from there.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Jo

Guest Rich&Jo

We're looking for primary (including early years), co-ed, and either non-denominational or anglican. We've spent a ridiculous amount of time going through the various schools websites, but not being there at the moment it's very difficult to get a feel for whether they are any good or not! I realise it is very much personal taste, but any feedback that can help us narrow down the number we end up putting their names down for the better!!

We're looking for primary (including early years), co-ed, and either non-denominational or anglican. We've spent a ridiculous amount of time going through the various schools websites, but not being there at the moment it's very difficult to get a feel for whether they are any good or not! I realise it is very much personal taste, but any feedback that can help us narrow down the number we end up putting their names down for the better!!

Trinity College up in Gawler has great reputation and I know that many travel from the North of the City on the train to attend. We visited the school and were really impressed by the standards of behaviour and also the warmth of the staff. We settled in the South but if we moved up there, then we'd try to get the kids in - it's over subscribed.

Cooler

Guest salisbury massive

Pedare is certainly a great private school but the cost is around $4,000 a year for primary, take into account the cost of uniform, probably $500 and you have book fees and excursions on top.

I would take a good look at Tyndale Christian College in Salisbury East. Its an excellent school and probably the cheapest of the North East Privates. Its not far from Golden Grove.

I've got my eldest at Kings Baptist and I really like it, the education is good and I like the religious side. It has an excellent sense of community spirit. However its pretty expensive, Reception to year 2 costs about $800 a term and the book fees were $185 for the year., My daughter is moving into year 11 and the book fees cost $489 and the term fees are $1300. My middle daughter is at Golden Grove High School a very good state school. Fees are $440 for the year. As its in between Pedare and Gleeson (both private) she gets access to state of the art facilities which were paid for by private school fees. The facilities in Golden Grove are excellent and I'm very impressed with the curriculum and the teaching so far. My daughter is taking Netball as part of the curriculum this year and it gives her direct access to the State side and coaches.

Take a look at Torrens Valley near Hope Valley, its a good school, excellent reputation and its not far from Golden Grove.

I looked at Pedare, Tyndale and Kings. Tyndale was my first choice but I couldn't get all 3 kids in. There isn't much in it on the other 2 school fees though Pedare say they are cheaper but charge for a building fund every year. Just be aware, the older they get the more expensive it is. Private schooling seems much cheaper here than the UK, but when you are earning aussie dollars it gets more and more difficult to justify the money evey term.

Hope that helps

Jo