Sign in to follow this  
Guest Umar

Lecturers Positions in TAFE

Guest Umar

Dear All,

since start of my Immigraiton process, this forum helped me a lot and I am very much thankful to al moderators as well as members.

Now as I already got the visa I am worried about getting job. Here I was teaching at under graduate level in IT and Computing in University. have expereince of more than 4 years in teaching at Undergraduate and graduate level. this is other than industry experience.

My visa restricts me to work in SA and I have searched a lot but could not find much jobs at University Level as there are only 4 universities which I know and there are no opportunities in teaching since six months. This is what I have observed from their websites. :(

Now another option is to work for Vocational Institute of Tafe.

I am sure many of members must be Lecturers in TAFE or Trainers in any vocational training center.

I have following questions in mind, I am sure I will get their answers

1) What Colleges are there in SA. can I get a complete list of institutes which provide any kind of training in Computing.

2) Is there any central body who is managing these institutes. like DECS for Schools from where I can get the list

3) Is there any special requirment/ registration requirment for being lecturer / tutor in College/ vocational insitute like Teachers registration Board in case of Teaching in schools.

4) Is it necessary to have Certificate IV or any other special qualification other than Degree in Computing.

Please help me as soon as possible so I can apply and fly to Australia.

Kind Regards,

UM.

Guest steph&neil

Hi I am unsure about the specifics of your field, but I will try to help you! you will need to do your certIV in training & assessment, I did mine on a fast track course at Port Adelaide (TAFE) I DO NOT reccomend you doing this via the on-line or 4 day short courses it is very intense & you will find the guidance of a tutor invaluable! I did 1 day a week for 18 weeks, this was 1 full day plus an average of 40 hours homework. If you contact TAFE at port adelaide & ask about their TAA courses they will put you in the right direction. You will if you have not already have to have your qualifications recognised & RPL may be an option. Anyone can enrole but it is your responsibility to ensure that you qualifications are suitable for any job you apply for. The cost was about $2500, if you go on to secure a job you can claim it back through your tax at the end of the year (June here). Even if you set up as a private tutor you can claim it back, as long as you prove it is an extension of your job/work related. You will also require a senior first aid certifiacte to teach within TAFE. You could try the WAE - short courses, not a lot of miney but good for the CV & they runn day & evening classes - you dont need your cert IV but it will help if you tell them you are studying for it. I hope this makes sense, with regards to seeking jobs TAFE will also give you this but wont let you teach until you have your TAA CERT IV, steph x

Guest Umar

Dear Steph,

Thanks. for telling me the requirements. thanks for advising not to do it in 4 days other wise I was going for it :).

so the first thing before doing it is to do Certificate IV and

Please let me know about this one

http://www.workplaceskills.edu.au/certificate-iv-in-training-and-assessment-taa40104-full-program-adelaide.html.

is it ohk this is a full program for 10 days in 2 weeks.

Where to apply for jobs ? what are the conditions ? is there also saturation in Teaching like other job opportunities ?

Kind Regards,

UM.

Hi I am unsure about the specifics of your field, but I will try to help you! you will need to do your certIV in training & assessment, I did mine on a fast track course at Port Adelaide (TAFE) I DO NOT reccomend you doing this via the on-line or 4 day short courses it is very intense & you will find the guidance of a tutor invaluable! I did 1 day a week for 18 weeks, this was 1 full day plus an average of 40 hours homework. If you contact TAFE at port adelaide & ask about their TAA courses they will put you in the right direction. You will if you have not already have to have your qualifications recognised & RPL may be an option. Anyone can enrole but it is your responsibility to ensure that you qualifications are suitable for any job you apply for. The cost was about $2500, if you go on to secure a job you can claim it back through your tax at the end of the year (June here). Even if you set up as a private tutor you can claim it back, as long as you prove it is an extension of your job/work related. You will also require a senior first aid certifiacte to teach within TAFE. You could try the WAE - short courses, not a lot of miney but good for the CV & they runn day & evening classes - you dont need your cert IV but it will help if you tell them you are studying for it. I hope this makes sense, with regards to seeking jobs TAFE will also give you this but wont let you teach until you have your TAA CERT IV, steph x

Guest steph&neil

Hi no problem! a 10 day course - I still would not recommend it - there are so many units, the first 2 are easy enough & we did them in 1 day, but after that there is a lot of research, each unit takes between 25-40 hours, depending on what is required. There are 4 presentasions which must be recorded (DVD) to show that it has been done & to the standard, as most of the course will be about proving authenticity, validity & follows current competency standards. There is also a couple of units on RPL, and a lot of group work & team building. I highly recommend that you do a TAFE course not sure of they are still offering a fast track course (which I did) as it was trial when I did it! met lots of fab people, but wouldnt have managed the work load if I had to work at the same time - all the full time employed people on the course had to apply for extensions. Look up the TAFE SA webpage that will give you more info, also if you do it through TAFE you stand a better chance of gaining employment within TAFE - dept heads look to see who is doing the course! Hope this is helpful

Guest steph&neil

To look at current vacancies the website is http://www.vacancies.sa.gov.au,

some positions (where there are shortages) may allow you to do the TAA whilst working, but preference will be given to those who have it already, steph

Guest Umar

Thanks once again, it is costly but I will do it from TAFE as you are chancing to get job in TAFE. can you help me and let me know that what are other options of doing jobs as trainer/instructor/lecturer, what are other institutes offering Vocational Training where one can teach.

What are you doing ? in TAFE ? or some where else ?

Kind Regards,

UM.

Guest Jo&Phil

You may find you can get hourly paid teaching at TAFE without the Cert IV TAA (in which case you are 'mentored' by a senior lecturer) but you would be expected to be working towards this in order to gain a contract. so it is certainly a distinct advantage to have it at the outset even ifyou have teaching or lecturing experience and certainly RPL (recognition of prior - experiential - learning) is the quickest and cheapest way to achieve this. I'd certainly do that rather than sit the course! You'll need to bring with you lots of lovely evidence of course materials and assessments etc and this would be handy to for interviews.

In terms of employment, most TAFE lecturers start as hourly paid instructors or HPIs (pay rate is quite good). Contracts may then be offered when/if need arises or sometimes short term contracts are offered but the HPI pathway is most common. If you look at www.tafe.sa.edu.au and click on search courses and look for any combination of computing it will tell you which campuses offer the subject .......there are a few. The best thing to do then is to contact the Educational Manager in the IT/Computing faculties in each TAFE campus to discuss any opportunities. To get the names of the relevant people you might find it easier to phone.

There are lots of other Registered Training Organisations (RTOs) in SA who will offer similar courses. The relevant government department for adult education is DFEEST and if you look on the SA govt website you'll find a link to the DFEEST portal and a list of RTOs. The other way to find RTOs in SA is to look on www.ntis.gov.au (govt national training site) and search for RTOs in SA.

Good luck with your job hunting.

Some misconceptions in other posts - you DON'T need a Senior First Aid Certificate ........ certainly not unless you're teaching something where there is a possibility of injury and computing should be pretty safe

Guest Umar
    You may find you can get hourly paid teaching at TAFE without the Cert IV TAA (in which case you are 'mentored' by a senior lecturer) but you would be expected to be working towards this in order to gain a contract. so it is certainly a distinct advantage to have it at the outset even ifyou have teaching or lecturing experience and certainly RPL (recognition of prior - experiential - learning) is the quickest and cheapest way to achieve this. I'd certainly do that rather than sit the course! You'll need to bring with you lots of lovely evidence of course materials and assessments etc and this would be handy to for interviews.

In terms of employment, most TAFE lecturers start as hourly paid instructors or HPIs (pay rate is quite good). Contracts may then be offered when/if need arises or sometimes short term contracts are offered but the HPI pathway is most common. If you look at www.tafe.sa.edu.au and click on search courses and look for any combination of computing it will tell you which campuses offer the subject .......there are a few. The best thing to do then is to contact the Educational Manager in the IT/Computing faculties in each TAFE campus to discuss any opportunities. To get the names of the relevant people you might find it easier to phone.

There are lots of other Registered Training Organisations (RTOs) in SA who will offer similar courses. The relevant government department for adult education is DFEEST and if you look on the SA govt website you'll find a link to the DFEEST portal and a list of RTOs. The other way to find RTOs in SA is to look on www.ntis.gov.au (govt national training site) and search for RTOs in SA.

Good luck with your job hunting.

Some misconceptions in other posts - you DON'T need a Senior First Aid Certificate ........ certainly not unless you're teaching something where there is a possibility of injury and computing should be pretty safe

just to let u know that I am doing Cert IV in tafe and I also got a chance to teach in TAFE on HPI

thatsnk once again for your kind help and support

Guest Jo&Phil

Congratulations! Good for you. I hope you enjoy it.

Which TAFE are you at?

I'm at City Campus in Adelaide .... Tourism, Events & Languages on level 5 - come and say hello if you're in the same building.

JO

Guest Umar
    Congratulations! Good for you. I hope you enjoy it.

Which TAFE are you at?

I'm at City Campus in Adelaide .... Tourism, Events & Languages on level 5 - come and say hello if you're in the same building.

JO

Hello, really nice to hear that you are in same building. yes i will be in same building, I will visit city TAFE at 4:30 so if you will be there please let me know.

my no. is 0430855019

Kind regards,

umar