Guest veeba

student loan

Guest veeba

Hi,

I have a student loan repayment in the UK, Would i still have to pay this back if i migrated to Australia?

Thank you fro your help

Hi,

I have a student loan repayment in the UK, Would i still have to pay this back if i migrated to Australia?

Thank you fro your help

Yes and they will chase you for it.

Cooler

I don't think they can chase you.

I have one and all they said was fill in this form every year and tell us how much your earning. They can't legal claim the money I think. You pay it back under the same threashold as you would have to in the UK but the onus is on you to tell them.

Michelle

Yes and they will chase you for it.

Cooler

They would have to get a VISA to come get it :biglaugh:....they could hand it onto a thrid party....who could then chase it....

As long as you dnt earn more than your threshhold then not alot they can do about it....and not that i condone this sort of action...you could well just dissappear and not tell them your new address...:err::err:

HG

They would have to get a VISA to come get it :biglaugh:....they could hand it onto a thrid party....who could then chase it....

As long as you dnt earn more than your threshhold then not alot they can do about it....and not that i condone this sort of action...you could well just dissappear and not tell them your new address...:err::err:

HG

Is it not classified as a debt to the Government? I have heard of people being chased for council tax DVLA fines. I did not think it was classified as a consumer debt. I do believe though it is not written off after six years so if someone was to return to the UK then they would still have to pay. They won't be waiting at the airport as they're to busy searching for Bob the Builder's tools!

I paid my student loan off far too many years ago, oh those days :jiggy:

Cooler

Guest Nick11

Now I am in the know about this. Experian are setting up a business in melbourne to chase these debts on behalf of the uk government. There will be no escape. They will be targeting oz, NZ,Canada and South Africa. They WILL eventually catch up with you.

Guest k8bug79
    Now I am in the know about this. Experian are setting up a business in melbourne to chase these debts on behalf of the uk government. There will be no escape. They will be targeting oz, NZ,Canada and South Africa. They WILL eventually catch up with you.

Thats good to know. Not that I was contemplating running away from debts but I was hoping to have a clean slate over there and this may mean it is no longer the case. Does anyone know if that will now be true. Will they be able to use past debts and arrears against you if the co decide to use experian to check you?

Guest Nick11
    Thats good to know. Not that I was contemplating running away from debts but I was hoping to have a clean slate over there and this may mean it is no longer the case. Does anyone know if that will now be true. Will they be able to use past debts and arrears against you if the co decide to use experian to check you?

This will be for people who already have visas,emmigrated here and not left a forwarding address - apparently the government realise a lot of student loans are held by people who don't live in the uk and will be chasing them. Not sure how far down the road they are with this. A realative of mine is an assoc. director with them. It will be scary stuff if you've left the uk - not told them- you are earning above the income threshold!!!! They will have no dealings with diac as far as I am aware. It will be purely debt chasing in oz.

What I am aware of is the Inland Revenue, you could never hide from them lot, i.e. tax evasion, overpayed tax credits, legal aid expenses (court payments), CSA payments and so on. Because if you owe them money then they do have the powers to find you. For instance you do a runner from them, disappear in Australia for many years then return to the UK to visit relatives, then you are caught because the inland revenue have put a file of your passport to state that you have absconded from paying inland revenue, therefore you get arrested and charged and made to pay back all you owe and the interest and will not be able to leave the country again until its all paid in full. That even be after you went to prison. Most other debts are written off after 6 years if they dont find you.

Please dont turn this into one of those threads where everyone is having a go at each other because we have mentioned absconding from Debt. I have already been involved in one them and its not nice to be on the receiving end.

Guest Nick11

The uk government is desperate for revenue so its not surprising they are pursuing the debts in other countries. I think experian will be acting as the middle men to catch student debtors. They will find you,ask you to start paying xxx amount- then I assume if you refuse legal action will be taken. Apparently every time you use a bank card, register with a department store, pay your rates - you leave a footprint. This is how they track you down.

Apparently student debts are one of the few things that aren't written off.

Really wouldn't be suprised that in years to come they deal with the inland revenue etc. It is only a matter of time before it becomes global!!!!

Guest Peachie

they will collect it from your wages same as uk but threshold here is lower 12000 au dollers so will pay back faster I think you have to tell them ur TFN and address and they sort it

Guest kangomik

i did say it's a long way to come.

And i know from family experience that people do get arrested when they land back in the UK, and they struggle to leave afterwards due to the record. (tax office)

Lets face it, leave with a clear debt, and a clear concience. Imagine having to go back suddenly and not being able to get back to your family as quickly as you hoped.

The loan helped you, pay it back, help some others.

It's obviously at such a stage that it makes a business out of chasing it.

Forgot to add, would this debt not have been covered on some of the visa application forms?

Guest Nick11

[And i know from family experience that people do get arrested when they land back in the UK, and they struggle to leave afterwards due to the record. (tax office)

Seriously?

Never heard of that.

Personally I would be worried about the knock on the door when they catch up with me. Maybe you can get away from debt if owed to private companies - but the British government is another matter entirely!!!

They will stop at nothing.

If I had a student loan and had done a moonlight flit - I would be seriously worried.

[And i know from family experience that people do get arrested when they land back in the UK, and they struggle to leave afterwards due to the record. (tax office)

Seriously?

Never heard of that.

Personally I would be worried about the knock on the door when they catch up with me. Maybe you can get away from debt if owed to private companies - but the British government is another matter entirely!!!

They will stop at nothing.

If I had a student loan and had done a moonlight flit - I would be seriously worried.

In the same breath as long as you agreed to pay it back at whatever rate they have to accept it....

HG

Guest Nick11
    In the same breath as long as you agreed to pay it back at whatever rate they have to accept it....

HG

True - but whether you will be penalised for doing a moonlight flit is another matter altogether. These credit companies don't offer their services for free!!!!

Do you really still want to be paying off your student loan when you are 60+!!!!!