Sign in to follow this  
Guest pager33

Should we go for it?

Guest pager33

We are a family of 4, me and hubby are 38, son is 14 and daughter 10. I'm a practice nurse, hubby is a telephone engineer. We have been thinking of a move to Oz or NZ for the past 2 years and Adelaide really appeals to us.

Things however get complicated as our 14 yr old son has Aspergers and not sure if he would pass the medical. His physical health is perfect but he attends a special school and have been told he may be seen as a drain on Oz resources. Anyone know if this is true? We are toying with the idea of waiting til he is 16 before making the move as by then he will be able to leave education.

We've been to an Expo and met some lovely people from the SA nursing board who were desperate to get me a job out there!

Our daughter is really positive about a move as is husband even though it means him leaving the family business. Initially I would be the wage earner and we would get a visa through me being a nurse. Not sure wether to go down the sponsored route or do it all ourselves. A friend made the move to Brisbane in 2008 and is loving it, shes also a nurse so has been able to tell me alot about the work/ pay etc.

We are planning a trip down under to Adelaide next year as I think we really need to see Adelaide for ourselves. Its a bit difficult deciding when to go as we are restricted with the kids in school so thought about going for 3 weeks in August but not really wanting to go in their winter. Have others with kids gone for a reccie and taken the kids out of school? can anyone point me in the right direction please.

Guest doje6863

Hello, Im also a Nurse and have worked as a practice nurse until three months ago, so if you need anymore info about Nursing in Adelaide, give me a shout. We had never been to Australia even before we turned up 2 1/2years ago. We love adelaide, but are considering moving interstate due to partners work (or lack of) issues.

donna

Guest pager33

thanks for the quick reply Donna. I would prefer to stay in practice nursing and see there are jobs about. Saw 2 adverts yesterday, I believe the role of the PN isnt as developed in Oz now.

Guest doje6863

Youre right, there are plenty of jobs going. The money is pretty poor, anything from $25dollars p/hr upwards. Also, be aware that a lot of jobs are casual. The jobs entail lots of immunisations, wound care and health assessments. The h/assessments are big money earners so a lot of impetus is put on them. I now work as a nurse supporting GPs, Practice Nurses and Practice Managers in chronic disease managment. So if theres anything I can help you with, give me a shout.

donna

Guest pager33

your new job sounds interesting Donna. I run diabetes and chd clinics at my practice. Tbh my wage is pretty rubbish here in the UK. I earn about the same as you have just quoted. Too right that the health assessments are big earners for GPs. For the past 5 years we have had QOF (quality outcomes framework) which earns our drs big bucks if we hit the targets. (ie 80% of diabetics will have a bp less than 140/80)Chd and diabetes are their biggest areas and what do I get, not much. Its all very political and somedays we feel we are just ticking boxes.

Do Pns get involved in the clinics or is it gp led? Did you get a PN job from the off? I dont really want to go back into hospitals, been in General practice for 6 years now.

Guest Guest5035
    The money is pretty poor, anything from $25dollars p/hr upwards.

donna

Alot of people would not think that.

Stevo

Guest doje6863

Point taken. I know whatever I say, there will always be someone that doesnt agree.

However, Nurses in hospitals earn $30+ per hour (and consider shift allowance and tax breaks). Nurses in private practice get paid poorly in comparison, esp when you consider the revenue they raise for the GPs. And consider the vast knowledge we have and the contribution we make. So there! :)

Guest Messua

We came here 11 years ago and the application process was slow because I have a disability, so there were extra questions to be answered. It was well worth it though. Hubby has a job he enjoys and our 3 sons have had a great childhood... It was well worth the frustration! There seem to be great facilities within mainstream schools for children with special needs here. Good luck.