Sign in to follow this  
Guest nikkiandlee

Working in Hairdressing In Aus?

Guest nikkiandlee

HI,

Please can someone give honest advice or info regarding hairdressing jobs in Adelaide?

I am qualified to NVQ Level 3, have trained in applying Racoon Hair extensions (i believe they are also in Aus) I have many years experiance. My question is how difficult is it for an UK immigrant to get a job? what is the attitude towards uk immigrants? Is the pay as bad as the UK (i'm under the understanding it is)?

I know that Hairdressing is on the MODL list however i'm just concerned as to wheather i will be able to find employment, any advice on the job expectations etc that i should expect from employers would be most welcome.

Many thanks in advance for any help that may be posted!

Nikki :unsure:

XXX

Guest jason vango

thanks for mail and i will be watching your question closely , my wife is hair dresser and she is not convinced they need them that much

can you give me the agents web address please ,i think i will get the ball rolling?? still cant find out how many points i get for my job

HI,

Please can someone give honest advice or info regarding hairdressing jobs in Adelaide?

I am qualified to NVQ Level 3, have trained in applying Racoon Hair extensions (i believe they are also in Aus) I have many years experiance. My question is how difficult is it for an UK immigrant to get a job? what is the attitude towards uk immigrants? Is the pay as bad as the UK (i'm under the understanding it is)?

I know that Hairdressing is on the MODL list however i'm just concerned as to wheather i will be able to find employment, any advice on the job expectations etc that i should expect from employers would be most welcome.

Many thanks in advance for any help that may be posted!

Nikki :unsure:

XXX

Nicki,

Judging by the amount of hairdressers we see in all the shopping areas and streets i would assume that to get a job in one of them would be no problem. In most of the hairdressers we saw in the front of the shop is basically a supplies store sellng most brands that are in the uk and in the back of the shops is the hairdressers. I have never seen so many hairdressing shops than what we saw during recent visit. Its just a shame with my little hair i wont be needing them much!!:cute:

Not sure how wages compare but im sure someone over there can help more on that score!

Guest nikkiandlee

Thanks Ian,

Seems a bit strange the hairdressers being at the back of the shop, will be interesting though!!!

Like I said i can apply hair extensions only need 4 cm to attach it too :biglaugh:.

Thankyou so much for your info, i would think you have never been to Daventry then we have about 15 hairdresser in town and its basically a high street lol.

Nikki

Like I said i can apply hair extensions only need 4 cm to attach it too :biglaugh:.

Nikki

Niki,

:nah:Thats count me out then!!:jiggy:

Guest dale_jo@

Hi Guys!!

There is heaps of work over here for Hairdresser and good one`s at that!1 I sold my salon recently and just gave up hairdressing to work in our new conveyancing business, But i can guarantee there is loads of work out there!!!!

Jo

Guest dale_jo@

I Mean`t here have just woke up!! The wage is average $26 K -$30k Depend on your emloyer and if they work on a bonus system also!!

Jo

Guest adrianbobin

hi

There are lots of jobs in advertiser newspaper every week but think the pay is poor like alot of other jobs

sharon

Guest sarahsmartiepants

There are lots of jobs advertised for hairdressers here. There are also a lot of salons, many of them being what I call "one man shows". There are lots of these advertising for hairdressers, they want part time help. Which is fine if you want pt time. There are full time jobs in the malls and closer to the city, these are normally classed as the trendy salons. One of the salons I worked in are still looking to replace me, having trouble I think because of the hours they are offering.

Pay is done on the award system, if you work as a casual (no holiday,sick pay) then you can expect around $19 per hour, if you are employed this will be closer to $16 per hour, because you will be intitled to hols and sick pay.

There are a couple of salons that operate behind shops. They sell home products and equipment. There was a story on the news the other night about a girl who had burnt the hair off her scalp after being told to use stronger peroxide by one of these shop/salons:mad:.

Hope that helps

sarah

Guest nikkiandlee

Hi sarah,

Thanks for your reply:cute:

OMG burnt hair off, was it just the strength of the peroxide or had she used products with matallic salts in? goodness thats terrible:shocked:.

I gather you now work for yourself or mobile? why did you leave the salon? how have you found working in Adelaide? sorry for all the questions but i'm sure you understand what its like ;).

Any advice you can give me?

many thanks

Nikki

Guest sarahsmartiepants

The shop told her to use a stronger peroxide to lift her hair:err:, but I dont know what the girl did at home! You can never tell, which is why I think products like peroxide should not be sold to the public in a shop!

I workin a salon pt time. Working here is fine. I personnally havent found the hairdressers here to be bad, although I have seen a few bad things from other places, but that is nothing unusual aywhere!

There are salon suppliers, you will need your certificates to get a card.

All the jobs I went to were not interested to see my certs, they just wanted to see me do some foils!

There are also salons here that do just cuts, nothing else was offered job in one but thouhgt it would be boring.

sarah

Guest dglamoore

Saw that poor girl on tv - oh my god it was awful !!!! I would never want to even try peroxide on my own :chatterbox:

Lisa:v_SPIN:

Guest Roo1

Nikki, I was having my hair done in Collanades yesterday and even I got asked if I was a hairdresser and if I wanted to start work there!!!

The hairdresser confirmed its hard to get good expereinced staff as once the girls are trained here the buggar off abroad, especially U.K, as thats where they'll earn a better wage.

You'll have no problem hun.

Judi x

Guest nikkiandlee

Thanks Guy's :)

Youve put my mind at rest, I know that hairdressing is on the MODL list but you always worry about getting work ( sadly we both need to work as we don't have lots of dosh, enough but not lots :sad:) .

I have no worries about doing a trade test, at least potential employers can get an idea of what i can do!!

I quite agree that professonal products should not be sold to the gp, sort of makes our training pointless, and terrible instances like the formetioned only goes to confirm my thoughts!

Anyway thanks again

Nikki

XXX

Guest Guzzler&Sas

Hi Nikki

Now then I don't much about many things and have stayed away from this thread, but today as I was having my hair done in Colannades like Judi (must be the week for hairdos!) I was chatting with the manager of the salon whilst she was doing my hair and asked the same question about work here for hairdressers.

She ASSURED me that anyone coming into a salon here who has qualifications and has worked in a salon so has experience, will get work. I really don't know much about wages and did not want to pry, but the staff where I go (Colour Bar Hair and Beauty) work on commission, so if they are not working in the day, they are not earning as much as they want to be - must be the bonuses Jo was talking about too.

She also told me that at one of the city branches they had an American lady start work with them who did the cut and then the customer walked out of the salon unfinished because at some salons in the US they doin't "finish" hair. But UK to OZ the methodologies are the same, so that is why they are so desperate for UK qualified/experienced hairdressers here.

Also, must say, I love my hairdresser in Colannades - Kirsty, she is the manager, so if you are looking for someone, then I can reccommend her - she is gorgeous (as they say out here!). Does a great job and is very knowledgeable on all the latest styles/trends (does that sound mad?) Also great going in there because they have great DVDs playing great music so if you get bored chatting, you can always watch the music ....

Karsha who is their beauty person is awesome too ... so high praise in my book because I am very fussy about who rips the hair from my legs - teeheee!

Take care for now

Sas

:goofy:

Guest SI&DEE

hi nickie im a hairdresser in uk , and have been for the last 18 years and pride my self on my work as i think im damn good, but also think we are under paid and over worked im sure u will get work in oz. but i also think it is around the same wages as uk but i wouid rather be hairdresser in oz cause of sun sea and bigger house lol,

We are processing our TRA, at the moment and just getting the references together as requested so fingers crossed TRA will be sent off soon.

From Dee and gang..

Guest nikkiandlee

HI Dee,

I also have been hairdressing for approx 18 years all told!! We(I) am also gathering refs ect for TRA, It would be nice if we stayed in touch (if you don't mind) as our time lines would be similar and we obviously have hairdressing in common, lol.

What made you decide to move to Aus?

Nikki

xx