17 Year Old Daughter. What Do I Do ????

Boxertony

Guest Nicky&Andy

i,m so pleased it has all worked out for you all, good luck to your new life in oz, and hope that shannon settles in well enough to not want to leave

best wishes

As you know Tony, I have two son's who both had to give up a lot to come over. My eldest son had just finished his A levels and had offers from a number of Universities back in the UK, whilst my youngest was into his first year in an apprenticeship.

Like you, we are on a 475 and so would have had to pay for our kids continued education ( and would have done if need be), but they were both prepared to try their hand at getting a job in Australia. My eldest now has a full time job working for the Premier's Department on an apprenticeship and my youngest currently works for a car part manufacturer and plans to join the police force once we have our PR status. Both have made a great circle of friends (they're never home) and are so happy with their new lives.

My point is Tony, that your kids could reinvent themselves over here, as could you, and until they have come and experienced life here and looked at what oportunities that may be available, then only then will they, and you know whether it is the right decision.

Bye the way, my kids worked damn hard at getting their jobs and I think that that is the key. An employer/oportunity cannot present itself to you if it doesn't know that you exist.

Good luck mate.

Howard.

Guest sarahsmartiepants

Tony, that is good the career path in the UK has been taken out the equation, it makes things much easier to bring her here, and now she seems to have an equal chance at the career of her choice here as she would in the UK.

I will say though, even though Tamaras post is encouraging please remember the acadamies and tafe cost a lot of money. I saw an apprenticeship up for grabs the other day in a southern salon. Too far for your daughter, but if I see any thing on my salon travels I will let you know.

I think a short pre vocational course at tafe will help her get an aprenticeship as salons prefer you have this, I am not sure how much they cost, pm lorluc she might have the info as I know her duaghter did this course.

sar

Good luck sarah

Guest mayjess

Hi Tony,just wanna wish you lots oflluck in ur move.ur daughter will b fine

My daughters are 14 & 19, you know wot, they will do whatever they are meantto do, dont listen to anyone but yourself & family. You know her best. we were waiting for our eldest tofinish her A levels to comebk guess what she didnt bother, so we are coming bk Apr. what will be will be, education isnt the b end and all end, it helps dont get me wrong I didnt go to Uni & im earning more than my colleagues!!!! experience & personality are the way forward.

Good Luck in Adelaide

Mayjess

Have got the TAFE handbook in my hand so here goes.....

cert ll in hairdressing.

This qualification will prepare you for gaining an apprenticeship in the hair and beauty field.

This is a pre-employment program that is made up of hairdressing, beauty and retail industry theory and technical units, as well as up-to-date employability skills. Retail sales; operating retail equipment; performing stock control procedures; minimising theft; designing and applying makeup; creating client relationships; using internet and business technology; developing self awareness; negotiating skills; dealing with conflict situations; working with diversity.

Minimum entry requirements

satisfactory achievement in SACE stage 1 English and Maths or TAFE SA tabs test

any cert 1 and any of above.

Students may exit with cert ll in Hairdressing 6 months full time.

Locations

Adelaide City , on campus full time day only

Elizabeth.....FT day only on campus

Noarlunga FT dayonly on campus

Tea Tree Gully FT day only on campus

Whyalla FT day only on campus.

for details about applying as an international student...

email international.tafe@saugov.sa.gov.au.

they will be able to tell you costs etc and also your daughter may have already done some of these and can gain credit for those particular units. Roughly it will be around $8-10000 for the semester as an international student. Hopefully though she may be able to gain an apprenticeship anyway without this.

banner.jpg

HAIRDRESSING APPRENTICE

About the Job

Search.aspx%3F247seo%3DN%26cmp%3DKNC-SEM%26referrer%3Dgjobsearch%26type%3DP%26wt.srch%3D1%26pg%3D1%26q%3Dhairdresser%2520apprentice%26occ%3D553.11824%26sid%3D85%26re%3D0

HAIRDRESSING

APPRENTICE

The Rainbow Room, Burnside

is looking for a 1st or 2nd year apprentice. Work in a unique environment, no Saturday shifts, 10 am start Tuesday - Friday, above award pay.

So if you deserve the best working conditions and training

ring in confidence

0404 848 227 or 8364 4344.

This ad appeared in The Adelaide Advertiser on 23/JAN/10

HAIRDRESSING

APPRENTICE

Fashion conscious person needed to start a hairdressing career. No experience necessary.

Ph. 0411 808 444

for an interview

JORRELLS FACE.HAIR.BODY.

This ad appeared in The Adelaide Advertiser on 16/JAN/10

Tony,

You are a true Gentleman, and any child should be very grateful to have you as a father. It takes a man to accept the sort of comments made by members of this forum (none that I disagee with) and to be brave enough to show your daughter, not knowing what her reaction would be.

Its great to see that peoples genuine feelings have not been taken in any negatvie way and their advice has been listened to and thought about.

For what its worth I also think that it would be better for her to finish her course in the UK and then join you if she wants to. Does she not have a girlfriend she could stay with....depending on how long the course is???? It seems such a shame for her to give up her chance for a career. Sarah makes a valid point and if anyone knows she does. I have no idea how it works here in relation to hairdressing !!

Just want to reiterate these points. Regardless of the different points of view - and something like this does stir emotions - you've accepted all comments with great grace - good on you, Tony!

For what it's worth, I sided with the 'let her stay in the UK' view, but am glad to see a way forward has been decided on - good luck!

Jim

Guest Russfamily

Two advantages, of bringing her over to Australia with you when you come in Feb, firstly she can gain some Australian certificates for her education and secondly and most probally more importantly she can make friends with some girls her own age and wont be bored out of her brains with no mates and no where to go

Guest mayjess

What I wanna know is `why the rush for everything` she can take up a career anytime, why does it have to be at 17/18, God how young is that, Im 42 and still dont know what i wanna do lol. let her make her own choice, I do believe she should be with you when you go, as I said before my eldest is 19 near 20, she is coming back with us, we are a family and that means we all go or else we wont go at all.

She will have a ball in Adelaide, soon as shes got mates then thats it- shes sorted.

Dont be worrying Tony,I mean it you are over analysing everything, take a chill pill haha.

Mayjess

Hi,

We had the same situation with our daughter. We weren't even allowed to mention Australia in front of her and she threw a wobbler. Ended up buying her a return ticket!

Anyway...she's been here 2 years now...is 20 years old, has a Mac job at the local centre...but is also a home owner in Port Noarlunga. She would never leave.

On the hairdressing front...there are lots of jobs. I work at Just Cuts and there are constant vacancies. The local Tafe run plenty of courses and the Noarlunga Tafe has a large hair and beauty section.

Just get her here. Get her enrolled and within weeks she will have new mates (a new boyfriend!) and she will be fine.

All the best...Tamara