Guest The Morleys

What is the best way to get trade qualifications

Guest The Morleys

Hi all,

I have been a solid plasterer in the Uk for 3-4 years, including doing some smooth rendering, tiling, painting and coving with some plumbing and woodwork skills.

I know you have to be papered up for most trades but wondered how to go about doing this and also whether there are any short courses within Adelaide with the chance of doing the nesessary exams at the end. I have only been here a week, any advice or anybody who needs a hand doing anything would be appreciated.

We have just secured a rental in Hallett Cove and move in Friday.

ADELAIDE IS GREAT!

Thanks, Marcus. (nina's husband)

Guest Guest3980

Have you tried PEER? Its a trade training college on Port Road, i think they do plumbing courses. Not too sure about plastering though.

ATB

Guest guest569

Give carla & Trev a shout. trev is a solid plasterer and is only down the road from you at Seaford. he has just got his license and will be able to give you the run down.

Guest The Morleys

hi, thanks very much for that, i will have a look for them, Marcus.

Hi guys i know your post was a while ago but was wondering if you could help re plastering.

My son has been a solid plasterer in the UK for 9 years (under apprenticeship) but never at college so he cant apply for his TRA because of the 200 hours. He has however found a company that for £1500 will asses you and award the Aussie qualifications so you can apply via that route.

He wasnt going to bother as his partner is a trainee teacher so they were going to apply under that route but i believe they have taken primary teaching of the list.

My question is: he is arriving for a trip in a weeks time and wondered if there is anywhere in Adelaide to asses his skills.

Guest guest569

In the city of Adelaide there is the liscenceing office where he can go in and have a chat. make sure he takes with him every ounce of info, references, certificates and any photo's of nice jobs he has done. They will give him all the latest info he will need.

Guest The Morleys

Hi Andi

I hope you are well m8!

I never ended up going down the route of applying as I decided to become a carpet/tile cleaner and came in on my wifes skill.

Others will know better and probably correct me but as far as I know a solid plasterer here is slightly different. When I say that most what they call solid plasterers here do the rendering on the exteriors and then on the interiors seperate crews do the taping and jointing. Also I worked with a crew over here for a week just to see how the rendering is done, we used to put a scratch coat on in the UK and then a top coat, where as here it just 1 thicker coat. They also do a bit of more speaciality work like the coins etc.

As far as I know and dont quote me, if he wants to do his skills here there are a few different companies that do the courses, some can be home based but are quite full on and then some are over a few weekends and as far as I know they are just over $1000 (the master builders aslo do it, they are on the edge of the city). After passing them you have to have your skills assesed as passionate pom has mentioned which is done in the city as an interview. Its a bit of money in the UK but if he can get his full qualifications there I would definately recommend that, it will also stop him getting delayed when he gets here. I hope that helps.

Cheers Marcus