Sign in to follow this  
Guest mike and tor

457 and Ielts

Guest mike and tor

ok I am a litte confused. I phoned the immegration dept about the 457 and they informed me that as I have a UK passport I would not require to sit the english test (and I have english qualifications)

But I have just looked at the application form and I think it says you have to sit the test?

Who is correct and what should I do?:idea:

Guest guest3462

you do have to sit the test sadly. I have to do it from inside aus and I cant start work til its done

Guest mez10

Mike,

I've just had my 457 visa granted.

The company that are sponsoring us set me up with a Visa agency.

Like you I kept asking about Police checks, Ielts etc

They just replied saying its down to Immigrations Discretion.

I applied on the 17th Dec and It's just been granted.

So I'm not sure its set in stone that they do require it.

Good luck with the visa.

Darren, Janet and kids

Guest cliveost

Hi the way I read it is that you dont have to sit the IELTS test if you hold a UK passport unless you are a nurse and then you are required to and pass at grade 7 or higher in every part in one sitting. If you are going as a nurse then you should have had your ANMC skills assessment and the IELTS has to be taken before you apply for the ANMC skills assessment.

We are in this process at the moment and that is what we have to do.:arghh:

Someone please correct me if im wrong but that is how I understand it.

Thanks, Clive

Guest mike and tor

mez,

I have phone the DIAC and they told me that I would need the police checks but may not need the english test! So I will do just that and see what happens. Wish me luck eh.

Barnsley, just up the road from worksop then.

Guest caoimhe
    ok I am a litte confused. I phoned the immegration dept about the 457 and they informed me that as I have a UK passport I would not require to sit the english test (and I have english qualifications)

But I have just looked at the application form and I think it says you have to sit the test?

Who is correct and what should I do?:idea:

We have lodged a visa while in Australian that the DIAC told us on 3 occasions that we could apply for only to be told by our case officer that we do not qualify for at all (after they took the $2552) My advice is NOT to believe a word the DIAC tells you, check it out with a migration agent

Guest MutleyCrew

Hi, My husband had to sit the IELTS because we needed the extra points!

Guest southdowns

I am waiting for my 457 visa (I'm at my girlfriends apartment in Adelaide) and I did not have to pass any English IELTS as UK passport exempts me from this. However, I have to pass police checks. I think you only need to pass English exam if you (1) need the extra points for PR, or (2) specific profession, e.g. Medical/Nursing.

Luckily I'm being sponsored, so I didn't pay the whacking great fee. I was also allocated a immigration agent, which is really useful. If anyone out there is thinking of applying for a 457, then I'd recommend a good agent. They have a relationship with the case officers and managers and will ensure your application is prepared before submission.

Guest mez10

Robert Lu

Stirling Henry Global Migration

PO Box Q389

Queen Victoria Building NSW 1230