Guest markmet

Taking laptops

Guest markmet

Hi all

We are emigrating on fri, and after reading through a living in Australia booklet am slightly confused as to whether it is a straightforward process to take your laptop with you or do you need to have some sort of permission. its just that it goes on about import laws an what have you, so I am a little puzzled.

would appreciate if someone can clear this up for me, as we have just brought new laptops for the kids for christmas.

Thanks

Chris T

Guest mayjess

I need to know the answer to this question also? plus will our wireless router work over there also?

Mayjess

I was not aware that you may need permission, we are taking three laptops onto the plane in our hand luggage. I was not aware of gaining permission. Maybe someone can clarify this for us lot. I also need to know if we can use our internet wireless modem from the UK in Adelaide.

Hi all

We are emigrating on fri, and after reading through a living in Australia booklet am slightly confused as to whether it is a straightforward process to take your laptop with you or do you need to have some sort of permission. its just that it goes on about import laws an what have you, so I am a little puzzled.

would appreciate if someone can clear this up for me, as we have just brought new laptops for the kids for christmas.

Thanks

Chris T

Yes no issues, just bring your laptops as hand luggage on the plane, does not count towards your allowance either.

Wireless routers from uk work over here as well, may just need to get a new phone point connection cable for a few bucks. Ours worked fine.

Yes no issues, just bring your laptops as hand luggage on the plane, does not count towards your allowance either.

Wireless routers from uk work over here as well, may just need to get a new phone point connection cable for a few bucks. Ours worked fine.

Sorted I will pack mine now, more money saved and less inconvienance.

Guest Murphysegg

Word of advice.....if Customs ask if their less than 12 months old then say no, or that their second hand, or they'll sting you on additional Duty.

Youv'e paid the VAT once. Declare nothing. Honesty is not always the best policy.

Guest the4hopes

We brought 2 laptops over with no questions, we kept them charged up though incase we were asked to turn them on, just to prove they were laptops and nothing else! As I was told this by someone who went through Hong Kong airport.

No problems at Heathrow or Singapore for us, and they were both in laptop bags no one asked to look. Once we got on plane we put them in our hand luggage.

Guest aussiewannabee

hi i took my laptop also and went via hong kong with no problems , and just got an adaptor cos it was a uk plug and it is fine.

Travelled with two just by myself and had no problems. One was brand new but I took all the packaging off.

Prior to this, my firm had one shipped out and got stung for $180. Agree that honesty is not always the best policy.

I brought a brand new one across in a laptop bag no problems. We came via Manchester, Heathrow and Hong Kong into Adelaide and weren't asked about it once.

Good luck with your journey and welcome to Adelaide.

Howard.

Guest Murphysegg

Just to clarify......i brought over a Laptop & a portable media device in my hand luggage & was asked the age & value of both as i passed through Adelaide customs. I informed them they were both a couple of yrs old.

However i sent over a bag of Unaccompanied luggage & declared on the Customs form that 2 of my Kitesurfing kites were under 12 months old, to which they presented me duty charge of about 100 bucks.......Welcome to Australia !!!!