Sign in to follow this  
Guest Guest5035

the hidden Travel Agents truth.

So much of that is soooo true! In my dark and murky past I have worked at tour operators and travel agents, and the travel insurance for instance is a bit like the shoe cleaning products they try to sell you in shoe-shops! Huge mark up, big profit! I was never as unscrupulous as these two sound though!! I used to really enjoy getting the cheapest deals for my clients (now I just get them for me!!) Another huge perk (don't know if these still happen) were so-called 'educational trips' where the tour operator takes a load of agents away for basically a free holiday, in the hope they'll steer people towards that operator to book in the future, whether or not they're the cheapest/best.

I know travel agent's pay is generally fairly low, but going from my recent experience with one of the High Street branches, there is a very good reason for that!!

Guest Guest5035
    Another huge perk (don't know if these still happen) were so-called 'educational trips' where the tour operator takes a load of agents away for basically a free holiday, in the hope they'll steer people towards that operator to book in the future, whether or not they're the cheapest/best.

IQUOTE]

So true a friend of ours works for PHT for the past year and has been on 3 cruises, Africa and shortly Canada.

Stevo