Transporting a car from the UK to OZ

cormcvcr

Hi all, :wubclub:

I was wondering if any of you, or if you know of anybody who took their car with them when making the move from the UK to Oz.

I was curious as to whether it is a worthwhile task or just to knock it on the head.

Do any of you know rough costs involved and what the rules and regulations are.

I have a 2002 C180 Mercedes Benz Classic and it's breaking my heart to sell it, but I will if I really have to!

Any advice will be appreciated!

:P

Guest chillyanna

cormcvcr,

did it take you ages to compile all the info for you TRA also. it took me 3 months or more to get everything sorted.

nightmare time that was:wacko:

Yes, it took around three months for us too, everytime we thought we had enough, our migration agent asked for more! But we got there in the end.

The problem was my husband done his painting & decorating apprenticeship with a company who had since closed down, it was hard trying to prove he worked there, chase down the owners and get the information to tie everything together on company's house, to verify that the owners were ligitimate.

It was hard to put into words what you do every second of the day, but our migration agent was brilliant we gave them as much information as possible and they laid it all out for us to check, add to then sign.

it was definately well worth paying the money!

Guest Aussiebound

We looked into bringing our car with us, not attached to it like you etc but we have only had it for a year. Have decided that the costs are far too high and it would work out cheaper to sell it here, and pay a bit for one in Australia, this would still work out cheaper than shipping and import taxes etc. I do know someone (not a member of this forum) who is taking their car with them, I will speak with her in the week and find out details for you -costs etc.

However, if you really love the car, and it cannot be replaced over there, costs won't come into it!!

Sarah

Guest Guest75
That would be brilliant if you could find that information out for me!

I can get the same car over there, but it will cost around $30K+

many thanks

If you do bring your car make sure it is meticulously clean,especially underneath.

When I was down at the Quarantine warehouse last year an officer was telling me they look for all of that mud underneath.Even some professional companies forget to do it so I'd personally inspect before crating.

Guest Blue Heeler

Hi.

After alot of form filling,and jumping through hoops I managed to get my car over (from Scotland coincidently) and get it registered without too many dramas. It left Glasgow last November and was on the road here (legally) in March.

The 2 main criteria to fill first of all is that you must have owned and used the car for a 12 month continuous period before you apply for the import licence, and hold or are applying for a Permanent Residency Visa. If you can satisfy these 2 then you are well on the way.

As far as costs go I could email a spreadsheet to you. You could punch in some figures and get a rough cost on what the various taxes and fees would be. Most are based on a valuation made either at the receiving port or in certain circumstances on a valuation supplied by the importer ie, you.

Make sure it has good air con though ! oh - and a loud horn :)

Guest Aussiebound
That would be brilliant if you could find that information out for me!

I can get the same car over there, but it will cost around $30K+

many thanks

Hi

I am really sorry, with the kids going back to school and me getting back to work I forgot to ask about transporting the car over. :err:

I will see my friend tomorrow at school and find out some bits for you.;)

Sarah

• 4 months later...
Guest alan smallman
Hi all, :wubclub:

I was wondering if any of you, or if you know of anybody who took their car with them when making the move from the UK to Oz.

I was curious as to whether it is a worthwhile task or just to knock it on the head.

Do any of you know rough costs involved and what the rules and regulations are.

I have a 2002 C180 Mercedes Benz Classic and it's breaking my heart to sell it, but I will if I really have to!

Any advice will be appreciated!

:P

Know where you're coming from, I've got an E300 estate with loads of extras and I don't want to part with it!!!1

xx Alan :)

Hi Alan,

I made the very had decision of selling the car as there were a lot of costs involved at the other side.

Shipping the car over itself was fine it could be put into a container with the rest of my belongings, but they charge you 10% of the value of the car at the purchase price and additional tax and duty on top of that. The worst case scenario for myself was £4800 and the best £2500. But I had to look at the bigger picture of the shipping along with the customs charges, the cleaning of the car, making sure that it was of the standard required, but the biggest thing was, would I get my money back if I were to sell.......the answer was no.

The value of the car here and the price I sold it at were different (to my detriment) but I definately saved a good few thousand pounds than I would have if I had went along with my heart and took it with me.

I've got my eye on a merc jeep, so I will just have to start saving again x

My husband laughed at me because I was clinging onto the keys when the new owner was trying to get them from my clenched fist........it was like a death in the family!!!!! I always get really attached to my cars, even if they are a heap of junk, just because they are mine and I have worked hard to get them and take care of them as stupid as this sounds.....I know, I know, I really need to get out more!!! Hee Hee x