Jimjustin

UK/OZ Firefighters

Hello,

I've just arrived in Adelaide from the UK and would like to know if there are any Australian or UK firefighters on PIA?

I just left Notts fire and rescue service and will be contacting the emergency services here about employment prospects and would like any info from anyone with any knowledge on the subject. All experiences good and bad will be appreciated!

Thanks,

Jim.

I was originally at Beeston station, then Dunkirk, then they closed them both and built a new station at Highfields, so I finished my time there. Lived mostly in Kimberley area, then Attenborough and Beeston.

Guest Nick11
    I was originally at Beeston station, then Dunkirk, then they closed them both and built a new station at Highfields, so I finished my time there. Lived mostly in Kimberley area, then Attenborough and Beeston.

We're from Giltbrook.My mum and dad live in Kimberley - top of Maws lane on the wimpey estate -ascot ave!!

Small world :biglaugh:

Guest Nicky&Andy

hi my other half is a retained fire fighter, builder/bricky is his main job, not in oz yet but when on a recci in feb 09 (last yr) they were looking for recrutes in port pierri area, hope this helps

were not out there yet, so any info you find might be useful to us also,

good luck

nicky

Guest guest2184

My only UK firefighting experience is Op FRESCO in 2002/3, but West London was busiest part of the country.

Was seriously thinking of applying to Metropolitan Fire Service in Adelaide; if you search for them on internet they'll tell you all their entry requirements plus whether they have vacancies.

From memory you need to have a South Australian Full HR (Heavy Rigid) Driving Licence, a First Aid at Work / First Responder qualification and a Word & Excel user computer qualification. Plus all the normal phys requirements and psychometric testing etc.

There were no vacancies when I looked and you need to remember that Adelaide (and even more so South Australia generally) has a very low population and so these jobs are few and far between.

Eventually decided to be a paramedic but ran into same problem with South Australian Ambulance Service. They were good to deal with and, I believe, gave me a fair go but there just weren't the vacancies. I'm now looking at Queensland instead where there seems to be more opportunity.

Hi Gareth,

Thanks for the input, I've already looked at the metro fire service and ambulance websites and you need to be a permenant resident which I won't be for a while unfortunately. I have all the relevant qualifications from the UK fire service, HGV, advanced first aid, computer skills etc but mostly you find you have to get the Oz equivalent before you apply.

The ambulance service is the same on the permenant residency front, so no joy for me there either at the minute. I will just have to do something else for a while until I get PR.

Dont let the numbers or lack of vacancies dishearten you though- if you want it bad enough just keep at it and eventually something will come through. When I first applied for NFRS there were 10,000 applicants for 12 jobs! Didn't get in that time, but I did next time when I knew more about what was expected. And it was definately the best job I've ever had by a long way, and one of the few things I was sad to leave in the UK.

Cheers, Jim.

Guest Guest5035

Mate, if it was me, i'd go down to Wakefield Strret to the fire dept there and knock on the door and sell yourself, what have you got to lose.

Stevo

i remember the Dunkirk station, Bridgford was the nearest to me.

Guest Guest75

Hiya Jim

How about trying at Adelaide Airport?

I reckon the fire service there could be a private company.

They also have a great set up with rescue facilities as well.

If you want I'll ask a mate who works there for some contacts ;);)

Hi Tyke,

I'd appreciate it if you gave your mate a call and maybe fix up a phone call or a meeting with me, that would be great. I have looked at the airport fire service- they are run by airservices australia along with most other airports in OZ. The snag is you need to be a permenant resident before they'll employ you according to the website. Unfortunately I'm on a three year temp visa and can't apply for PR for 2 years. I have tried calling them but it's a head office number in Canberra so any local contact would be good.

Adelaide airport fire service also operate a water rescue service, which i'm fully trained in too so it would be right up my street I think.

Thanks for the reply, Jim.

P.S Settling into your place nicely! On first name terms with the possum...