Sign in to follow this  
Guest Graham&maria

Location Location

Guest Graham&maria

Hi guys this is my first post so be gentle

My wife (30), daughter (11) and myself (32) are looking to move to the Adelaide area late 2010 but are having some issues deciding where to live. We stayed in Adelaide with family for a few months when we first moved to Australia a couple of years ago, but we were tourists back then and after a 3 month tour after Adelaide we bought a house and settled in Canberra....

Our family live in Prospect, Cheltenham and Salisbury....We have ruled out Salisbury location wise and cannot really afford to live in Prospect nore Cheltenham for the money we want to spend.

What we have noticed are some very nice properties in the south, Hallet cove / Reynella area but really have no experience with the south so wondered if anyone had some pointers for us (we have also obviously asked family)

I like the prospect of being near the water as Im an avid fisho

Living in Canberra we are used to 20km + drives to work

We like the sprawl and space of the outer subs

We are looking upto the 450k mark for a property (3 bed, approx 600m2 lot)

Schools are a main priority

What are the driving times like from this area to the CBD during the morning rush?

Any advice would be great or other areas that you think might take our fancy...North haven for instance also looks interesting...

Also GO Norwood !! and The Crows !!

Guest doje6863
    Hi guys this is my first post so be gentle

My wife (30), daughter (11) and myself (32) are looking to move to the Adelaide area late 2010 but are having some issues deciding where to live. We stayed in Adelaide with family for a few months when we first moved to Australia a couple of years ago, but we were tourists back then and after a 3 month tour after Adelaide we bought a house and settled in Canberra....

Our family live in Prospect, Cheltenham and Salisbury....We have ruled out Salisbury location wise and cannot really afford to live in Prospect nore Cheltenham for the money we want to spend.

What we have noticed are some very nice properties in the south, Hallet cove / Reynella area but really have no experience with the south so wondered if anyone had some pointers for us (we have also obviously asked family)

I like the prospect of being near the water as Im an avid fisho

Living in Canberra we are used to 20km + drives to work

We like the sprawl and space of the outer subs

We are looking upto the 450k mark for a property (3 bed, approx 600m2 lot)

Schools are a main priority

What are the driving times like from this area to the CBD during the morning rush?

Any advice would be great or other areas that you think might take our fancy...North haven for instance also looks interesting...

Also GO Norwood !! and The Crows !!

Hi Graham and Maria, I live in the South so have a fairly good understanding of the pros and cons. Where will you be working? Have you any ideas about your daughters schooling?

donna

Guest Graham&maria

Hi Donna,

I will most likely be working on the outskirts of the CBD with a possible transfer with my company to there offices on Fliders street. My wife works with the ACT government therefore will also be trying to gain similar employment within the CBD I would have thought. There is every possibillity I find a different company as I havent approached our Adelaide branch so there may not be that opportunity.

Schooling is open, she is in year 6 at the moment but I believe the terms are different in SA and she would do extra time before moving up. Due to private schooling being a lot cheaper in Australia we are also exploring that avenue, but also have read excellent reviews about Adelaide High and have also looked at the catholic school in the south (we are in no way religious btw)

At the minute we still have to pay for before and after school care and I drop her off in the morning and collect her after work so we are already in that routine.

Thanks for the quick reply

Guest doje6863

Hi Graham, I have to go to a meeting, but will reply later on properly. Hope thats ok

donna

Guest doje6863

Hi Graham, bored sensless after yesterdays meetings so thought Id wait until I was a bit more awake to give you some of my experiances of living down south. So, it will probably take you 45mins to get into work if you live in our area of Seaford Rise. There is a two and three lane expressway that operates in a strange way. But its amazing how quick you get used to it! Basically, in the morning it travels North and in the afternoon South. So if you want to go in the opposite direction, you need to go through the suburbs. Hopefully, that wont impact on you too much.

I know very little about Government agencies here in Adelaide. Ive got a feeling that Suzer here on PIA works in one of them. Maybe she will give you the heads up. Dont quote me though, I just know she has been here some time and seems to know lots of precious bits of info.

I have also heard good reports about Adelaide High, logistically it was a nightmare for us to organise. Im not sure if youre talking about Cardijn College? Ive also heard good stuff about that school, but we send ours to Tatachilla. Cardijn has good rates I believe, about $5K pa max.

Let me know if I can help you with anything else.

donna