Sears Family

Green homes?

Hi i am by no means a green worrior!:wubclub:

But just thinking with all that sun is Aus making the most out of solar panels in homes?

Is this mature & readily avail or is this still a 'new' and limited product?

Has anyone added solar panels to their home?! What difference has it made?

Kind Regards

Von

We've looked into this before, its becoming quite important I think, and I think its a really sensible idea to get solar panels and become more or less self sufficient energy wise.

There's a green section on Real Estate.com here: Focus - Renovate - realestate.com.au although there are probably other better sites, maybe do a google search.

Other things to think of are ceilling insulation and if you can afford it, double glazing, which is becoming more important here at last... better for summer as well as winter. Not to mention of course recycling the greywater, collecting rainwater...

We aren't in a position to do any of that atm cos we are renting but they would be priorities I think if we moved and got our own place.

We have relatives moving into a new development where all the houses have all those things, and its a pioneer project I think, though v expensive builds.

Guest cornish Busdriver

We have solar hot water, solar heating for the pool and looking into solar electric for the house.

Iit will take 12 to 18 months to pay for itself but then cheap electric.

So far we have been very impressed how efficient the solar is.

We didnt put the solar hotwater or pool heating in , it was already in the house when we brought it.

Hi thanks - certainly worth thinking about. Makes sense I feel...certainly more than over here in the UK, may only get enough sun to charge a battery!! lol

Thank you taking time out for me!

Guest nishman

There's still some rebates / incentives available for solar at least, think the insulation's just been pulled...

Many of the new build areas now require solar hot water or similar.

Sustainable living is becoming a big thing here, and not limited to the "hippy" eco-villages :) Guy at work is leaving at the end of the week to support his daughter in her ventures in building/designing viable "green-smart" houses