Willber

Passport Renewal

Hi,

My passport is due to run out in 2011. I have a permanent residents visa which will be hopefully be activated in June/July this year. Should i renew my passport before we go to Oz on a visit or wait closer to the expiry date. Is it easy to get the passport renewed with the visa inside it or is there a particular way to do it. And last but not least when the visa is activated, do you have to become a resident in Oz before it runs out?

Sorry, i know there are a few questions here but i know i will get the correct answers on here.:)

House on the market and fingers crossed:jiggy:

The Willis'

Guest mayjess
    Hi,

My passport is due to run out in 2011. I have a permanent residents visa which will be hopefully be activated in June/July this year. Should i renew my passport before we go to Oz on a visit or wait closer to the expiry date. Is it easy to get the passport renewed with the visa inside it or is there a particular way to do it. And last but not least when the visa is activated, do you have to become a resident in Oz before it runs out?

Sorry, i know there are a few questions here but i know i will get the correct answers on here.:)

House on the market and fingers crossed:jiggy:

The Willis'

Hi I have just had to send my daughters passports off for renewel, you can carry the old passports with you for your visas,or send new ones to London for visas to be put inside, up to you. Id get them nearer to when your leaving for good.

Mayjess

Guest thekings
    Hi,

And last but not least when the visa is activated, do you have to become a resident in Oz before it runs out?

The Willis'

Hi The Wills, If I recall correctly on this point, when the visa runs out you can either get another visa to replace it, or become an Australian citizen and get an Australian passport. The visa is valid for your UK passport only and WILL expire at some point so you wont be able to re-enter Australia on it. Becoming an Australian citizen in itself is not enough to allow you free passage in and out of the country, you will need some kind of travel document. Either a renewed visa in your UK passport or an Australian passport if you have become elligible for one.

Oh and I also read somewhere that you can get your passport renewed in Aus but its expensive.

Good luck with the house sale, sold ours this week ;)

Guest thekings
    You can't renew a passport with more than 12 mths left on it, so depends exactly when it expires!

I didn't know that, thanks for that is very useful.

Guest JoTanCalOwen

Good luck with the house sale, sold ours this week ;)

Congrats on selling your house !! Really is happening happening now, pleased for you :cute:

Guest Stacey

Hiya

You can renew your UK Passport in Australia but it is expensive and you will need to complete form C1 (adult). You will also need to get photos signed by someone who has known you for a certain period of time etc etc.

You used to have to send everything directly to Canberra but I believe you can now do it all in certain post offices, (I believe the one in Marion does it but don't quote me!) and they then send it all up to Canberra for you. This link might help:

Lodge your United Kingdom/British passport application at Australia Post

With regards to visas I was advised to get a new visa put in the new passport but there is apparently a charge of $60 to print it out so in addition to the passport quite an expensive process!

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Stacey

x

Guest mayjess
    Hiya

You can renew your UK Passport in Australia but it is expensive and you will need to complete form C1 (adult). You will also need to get photos signed by someone who has known you for a certain period of time etc etc.

You used to have to send everything directly to Canberra but I believe you can now do it all in certain post offices, (I believe the one in Marion does it but don't quote me!) and they then send it all up to Canberra for you. This link might help:

Lodge your United Kingdom/British passport application at Australia Post

With regards to visas I was advised to get a new visa put in the new passport but there is apparently a charge of $60 to print it out so in addition to the passport quite an expensive process!

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Stacey

x

My daughters will carry their old passports thru with their visas inside, and take their new passports with them to. I was told by London Immigration this is fine.

Mayjess

Guest thekings
    Originally Posted by Mayjess

My daughters will carry their old passports thru with their visas inside, and take their new passports with them to. I was told by London Immigration this is fine.

I was told this too.

Guest clare

yes we got new passports in december for our girls just told 2 carry the old ones wherever we go good luck!