Surf n Sharks advice needed

LaurenG

Evening all,

We are considering a move to South Australia. OH is a keen surfer here and is looking forward to continuing in Australia. Was wondering if anybody could recommend any good surf spots to live near?

However OH also thinks I only want to move there so I can claim life insurance after he is eaten by a shark. biglaugh.gif Could anybody advise what the real situation is on sharks in SA? eek.gif

Thank you,

Lauren and Lee

Guest guest569

moana and Seaford areas are nice. with the surfers at Moana beach or a 10 min drive to Aldinga.

Yes some sharks live here too but unless your out 30m surfing and very unlucky , then they stay away from you. You can also buy an electric deterant to keep them away.

You're more likely to be killed by lightning than by a shark in Australia.

The White Shark has a reputation as a threat to humans entering the ocean; this reputation is not supported by statistics. As at January 2006 there have been 193 fatal shark attacks in Australian waters (NSW 72, QLD 72, VIC 7, SA 21, WA 13, NT 3, TAS 5) (It must be considered these recordings are all shark species not just the White Shark) (ASAF 2006).

White Sharks are inquisitive creatures, there are consistent reports of encounters where the shark has nudged or bitten divers, surfboards and marine vessels. Sharks use their jaws and snout to investigate strange objects as unlike humans they do not have hands (Martin NDc). Many have survived White Shark encounters; this may suggest that the White Shark is just investigating what the object is, as predatory attacks are powerful and torpedo-like (Martin NDd). Shark attack is a potential risk for anyone who enters the water but it should be put in perspective, the risk of lightning strike is far greater than death from a White Shark attack (ASAF 2006).

There's only been 21 fatal attacks in SA, ever.

Quote from: http:ccsa.asn.au

Yes Moana and Seaford seem to have been cropping up a bit in our research and look very nice. Hadn't heard of Aldinga before but had a quick peek and looks as though you can get more house for your money in this area. Do you know anything about this area? Is it just that its a little further out so prices drop or is there something unappealing about it?

I will have to enquire in to these electric deterrents... sound like a good idea.

Guest ReadyPenny

Nothing unappealing about Aldinga at all. Just a bit further out. Lots of development and new build houses going up there, it's very nice actually, downside (for me) is it takes about an hour to get to the city. Prices are exceptionally good there though, depends which is more important I suppose.

Mandy

Guest thekings
Divers here always swim with a mate, and carry a knife. That way if they see a shark, they can stab their mate and get away while the shark is busy with their mate :D

PMSL :biglaugh::biglaugh:

Note to self: "never go diving with Leicesterlad" :P

Guest al_and_lucy
Divers here always swim with a mate, and carry a knife. That way if they see a shark, they can stab their mate and get away while the shark is busy with their mate :D

Lol :biglaugh:

I think I could cope with a long drive in to the city, as long as there are things to see and do and a few places to shop in between - in case I don't fancy the full drive in.

I like the look of what I have seen and heard about it so far.

I must say also thank you to everybody for your responses. I already feel welcomed which is great.

Evening all,

We are considering a move to South Australia. OH is a keen surfer here and is looking forward to continuing in Australia. Was wondering if anybody could recommend any good surf spots to live near?

However OH also thinks I only want to move there so I can claim life insurance after he is eaten by a shark. biglaugh.gif Could anybody advise what the real situation is on sharks in SA? eek.gif

Thank you,

Lauren and Lee

We live next to Moana Beach and I'd say there's not much surf if you are a real surfer. I work with a few guys who surf and they go down to somewhere near Victor Harbor.

Sharks, the roads are more dangerous.

Cooler

Guest rachinadelaide
We live next to Moana Beach and I'd say there's not much surf if you are a real surfer. I work with a few guys who surf and they go down to somewhere near Victor Harbor.

Sharks, the roads are more dangerous.

Cooler

I think Middleton is where all the surf action happens...

it also depends on your OHs level of expertise, for competent surfers the mid coast e.g Moana, Seaford etc is a bit flat mostly, except in winter where you may get 4+ foot waves, the really good surfers head further south to Middleton/Parsons BeachWaitpinga [commonly called Waits] which is outside of Victor Harbour, Surfing SA is a good resource for information on Surfing in SA, also in Lonsdale there is a shop called Cutloose which is the best place for hardware, Custon Boards Wetties, etc,

Guest cunnah10

hysterical.... soooo funny!!

Thanks everyone again for your advice. Given me loads of things to research - which is keeping me busy and out of mischief.

So Middleton looks as if its quite far out of anywhere, but I can see on google earth all the surf breaks. I am guessing though that whilst OH would be having the time of his life out there dodging the sharks, I would probably be taking a 2 hour commute to work, so would probably need to compromise on living location - but he could always head there on weekends.

OH is out surfing at the mo but will be giving him all your suggested websites to check out when he gets in. He uses magicseaweed.com to check the reports here. He has only been surfing about 3 years but he is out there every opportunity he gets.

Thanks again everybody.

The south coast (Victor Harbor to Goolwa) has good surf but the water there is quite cold, especially in the winter. There are some fantastic surf beaches on the Eyre Peninsular but very little in the way of towns and work, apart from Port Lincoln, which is of course the great white shark capital. The water there is also fairly cold, I remember going body boarding on an amazing beach there just after Christmas a few years back and the water was icy cold (and crystal clear), quite a few people had wet suits on. There's no land between there and Antarctica. Adelaide waters are a bit warmer as they are in a protected gulf.

If you want good surf and warm water then go to the Gold Coast.

Guest katsmajic

'Waities' is classed as the best by the surfer dude lads i work with.

We're in Moana/Seaford, takes us 45 minutes to get to Middleton - we go down to see the whales at Basham beach in the winter.

For a quick surf fix southport is pretty rough and the 'crap' doggy walking end of Seaford beach is rated too.

The shark log doesnt mention our local 'fin' at Moana who hangs out every summer and likes to pop in between the life savers flags - to make sure he's safe in the water of course :D he comes in really bloody close and usually just after i've been for a swim!

Guest bugbabe

Love this thread, cheers LaurenG. I too am a keen surfer (although living in the Midlands tends to put a dampner on it!). Never heard of the electric tags before, my 12yr old daughter is really getting into surfing so this has really put my mind at ease.

xxx