Sign in to follow this  
Guest ladybird

Midwives

Guest ladybird

Hi just wondered if there's any other midwives on the site. If we come over i'll continue to work as a midwife part time so wondered how others have found working in oz compared to UK. In 2007 I had interviews at Burnside and Elizabeth so wondered about other hospitals that do maternity care. We are interested in the city and heading North out of the city towards coast type areas. Thanks guys

Guest rowy

Hi there, am a Midwife too. Had informal interview/chat in the Women and Childrens and Flinders Medical in Oct 2008. Both seemed nice with birth centres and some Midwives trying to push more Com care/ Normality. I have a tel interview Thurs night so am a bit nervous. Would rather not do Private Hops as it is so Cons led. Got friendly with a Midwife off here, Lindsey, and met up with her on our visit. Let me know if I can help further, Penny

Guest ladybird

Hi thanks for the info. I liked the unit at Elizabeth as it was very similar to how I work here. Burnside was all a bit manic when i went and i didn't really feel like i would like the environment even though i'm always busy and rushed off my feet here! On a different day i might have felt better about it. At the moment i'm community based and love it so wouldn't really like to go back to working shifts in the hospital but they don;t seem to really do community midwifery like we do or do they? x

The nearest to community midwifery would be the Midwifery Group Practice at Womens and Childrens. There's another similar one somewhere but I can't remember.

Depending on your politics you could also get in touch with independent midwives here for another view.

There's a midwife called Lisa Barrett who has a lot to say politically (but i hear she is very very good) and she has headed up midwifery units in the UK and here too I think. She's welsh. I can give you her email address if you want. I'd advise you to look into the politics of moving into this system, because depending on your own views and preferences, you might find it just terrible and frustrating- or you might not be bothered by how things are going here.

As a 'user' (and not a professional) of both systems the thought of what will happen for us if we have another here is a scary one, because to all intents and purposes they are doing away with homebirth and it is far too medicalised. Horses for courses though, it depends what you're into!

Anyway I can give you some contacts re indep midwifery / homebirth, if you like.

Guest rowy

I met up with the Manager of the Midwifery group Prac when I visited, can give you her name etc. My phone interview went really well the other night for the Women's. I know I will be in the Hospital for the first year which suits moving to a new City. I too am a full time Community Midwife but not knowing the City etc would be a bit daunting? Plus the were in such early stages. I have been on the community for years and tried all different ways of working in our Unit, but they were doing 4 on calls a week. I would rather be in the Unit! I know the job will be totally different and I am prepared for that. They did do a system on the post natal ward I fancied. You work on the post natal ward in the morning and pm do Dom visits in a pool car. A bit of both and no on call. Where do you work? Penny , Swansea