Rental research is giving me a headache!

Guest Skippy

Guest Skippy

Hi everyone,

sorry we are so full of questions but you always come up trumps!!!

Firstly, just wanted to say that we really are loving Adelaide! In a super short term rental and our 4 girls are settled in the local R-12 school. Our eldest is struggling a little as she is very shy. But it has only been 3 weeks so that should improve with time. Sorted out a million things but still a number of really important things to tick off the list. Hence my post. Start long term rental hunting tomorrow. It seems quite a difficult thing to tackle. After a 4 bedroom property in the Hallett Cove/Sheidow Park area. There seems so little available. Is it usual to offer 6 months rent in advance? Plus the bond it seems rather steep. Can anyone offer any pearls of wisdom-would be really grateful for some pointers! Anna x

Guest Adrian Fox

Hi there bond should only be 1 month in advance that is all. If they want six months walk away and look at something else. It is very hard to find rentals as the market is very competitive and 4 bedrooms a real challenge. May i Ask why down south ?

From a landlord/agents point of view. Each Saturday there is a section in the Advertiser showing places for rent. This is a useful place to look as well as the real estate site.

Generally the agents/landlords will have an application form to complete for each house you inspect.

The people who are most impressive are the ones organised, with a short resume of who you are, why you are looking, and references from previous agents, or anyone you had rented from previously. If you owned your home in UK, then it may be worth getting a reference from someone who knew you there.

We have taken up to 6 months rent in advance as well as bond. It does act as an inducement to the landlord, and to be honest, people emigrating from UK have a reputation for breaking leases, for one reason or another, so some landlords may be reluctant to consider them over other applicants.

The Bond is not held by the landlord, but by the Residential Tenancies tribunal. Their website gives useful information for tenants. OCBA - Residential tenancies

Guest Skippy

Hi Adrian and Cliffy, thanks so much for your pointers. We really like it down South although we've only been here 3 weeks! Still so much to see. We shall follow all advice and hopefully have a good outcome. We're in our short term rental until 16.3.10 then ? Really quite worried but feeling more positive now! As far as we're concerned Australia is for the rest of our lives. OH travelled 4/5 hours a day from Portsmouth to London and back. Ate his tea, fell asleep, bed and up again at 4.45 am. I ran the house and kids. We really don't want to return to our old lives. We really want it all to work out. Thanks once again. Anna x

When we first got here, we only managed to obtain a 6 month rental, but had a word with the estate agent a couple of months before the lease was up and asked for the lease to be renewed and extended. They then offered us a 12 month lease as we had never missed any rent payments, house was kept spotless, and every inspection went really well. It also saved them time and money with advertising it and open inspections etc. If you like where you are, give the agent a call and just ask them.

Hi Anna

I am in Sheidow park and I remember looking for a 4 bed and it hard and you just want to get settled as soon as you can. We were very lucky as out landlord found us on here. There are lots of 3 beds but 4 is harder to come by but they are out there and the advice to get the paper is a good one.

We signed up for 12months as it helped secure the rental but did not need to give six months rent but said we would for the right place if comp was fierce. I also did not want a six month deadline to settle and find our feet and takes the presure off.

I would talk to local agents and ask them if they know whats coming up as you maybe able to view before an open.

Have all you doc ready so as soon as you have seen a place you like you can submit your form with your refs etc the next day that way your in with a good chance.

I hope that helps and if you need a chat I am only round the corner.

Michelle

Guest nishman

We never had worry about the 6-months rent up-front thing (perhaps we were lucky).

The bond is a separate thing, and you should get it back at the end assuming you've not wrecked the place :) The bond will between 4 weeks and 6 weeks depending on weekly rent (I think the cut-off is at $250).

Guest mayjess

I am also looking for a rental at Hallet Cove, only thing is we are not there yet, were looking for a clean/tidy 3 bedroomed house, nothing extravagent, but nice and bright, Can anybody give me a template of the references I need to help me secure a house over there?

Thanks

Mayjess

As well as looking in the Advertiser. Also try www.gumtree.com.au You'll be dealing directly with the landlord and not an agent, so the cost of rent should be slightly cheaper and there should be some flexibility in contract and payment up front.

Judi x