Guest Baconi

Driving to Urulu from Adelaide

Guest Baconi

Yeah, I know its a really long way and all that..... we have two small kids also - sounds like a walk in the park!!!

We have nine days to do the trip, so dont really have to rush that much.

Can anyone suggest some decent places and or accommodation to stay over on route?

thanks

Hi,

You are very brave to attempt that with 2 small children, I hope they travel well. I assume you have 9 days for the whole trip, it will be a fantastic adventure. I've done the trip twice but only stopped at Coober Pedy and Port Augusta, making it a 2 or 3 day trip. Once you are past Port Augusta there is very little in the way of human habitation so make sure you research where you can get petrol/food/water etc. There are roadhouses along the way, some may have motel accomodation, but there isn't much in terms of townships, just a handful of buildings if you are lucky.

Port Augusta would be a definite stop, there is a large range of accomodation there. We are hoping to go there soon and probably stay in one of the caravan parks which have cabins. There are some good motels there too. It's a long time since I last stayed there so I can't really recommend anywhere but it's a great place to stay. The Wadlata Outback centre is worth a visit. Travelling back to Adelaide after being in the red centre Port Augusta seems like a huge metropolis of modern civilisation!!

North of Port Augusta there isn't much until you get to Woomera, which was where they launched rockets back in the 60s (very 60s retro buildings). It is a detour off the main road but at least it is a town with facilities and accommodation.

Next up is Glendambo which has a roadhouse and accomodation.

Coober Pedy is a must. It's a weird place and pretty rough but it has a range of accomodation. I have stayed in one of the backpackers and the Desert Cave Hotel which was fantastic as the rooms are underground, but it is very expensive. There is a cheaper underground motel however. Do try and stay underground, as long as your children aren't afraid of the dark as once you turn the lights out it is pitch black (and silent). You can do tours down opel mines there and see typical underground houses which is very interesting.

You then have the option of going past the turn-off to Uluru and going to Alice Springs (well worth a visit), or going straight to Uluru. The drive once you turn off the Stuart Highway is longer than you think it is going to be so you could stay at Erldunda. There is accomodation at the roadhouse.

Obviously once you get to Uluru there is lots of accommodation of different types and it all seems very touristy as lots of the tourists have just flown in to the airport there on a whistle-stop tour of Australia and haven't had the experience of the huge drive to get there. Good Luck !!

Guest guest569

Sarah smarty pants did this at xmas. Worth contacting her for some tips.

Guest kangomik

is this 4 X 4 treking or is this do-able in a normal car?

is this 4 X 4 treking or is this do-able in a normal car?

It's bitumen all the way. Good straight roads, fairly flat just have to watch out you don't fall asleep. It gets a bit scary when another car is coming the other way though!!

Guest kangomik

Cheers for that, i'll let the wife drive, she scares anything comming the other way:biglaugh:

Guest seekingsunshine

wow!i think this sounds like a fantastic trip!

how many days do you reckon it will take you to drive there? how many days you planning to be in urulu?

Guest Baconi

We think we can make it comfortabily up there in 3 days, so will have two full days at Urulu.

Coming back will probably be 3 days also

cheers

Guest TraceyT

Kings Canyon was worth the visit, I don't know about accom (as we camped), it was also 1992, so too long ago to remember. The walk around the canyon may be tough on little ones, do research it as an option as it was awesome.

Guest motlyman

Recommend the Harley ride around the rock. Maybe not for the little ones though.

Colin