Four Weeks in and doing well

Guest The Dimmocks

Guest The Dimmocks

Well we been here 4 weeks today. It been going well so far. Flight over was good. Managed to get 8 large suitcases, 1 tool box, 5 hand luggage, the laptop, a double buggy and the eldest from one end of terminal 3 at heathrow to the other in one piece. Justin managed to push two trollies. Kids were really good on flight as well which helped. Stayed one night in Singapore, booked what was meant to be a family room, it had one queen bed and one single bed. Bit hard for 2 adults and 3 little kids to sleep in. But kids didnt sleep so didnt matter anyway. Second flight went well. Our daughter decided to be sick an hour before landing so that was fun. Thankfully had a change of shorts for her but no shoes. It was 37 degrees when we arrived, a bit of a shock coming from the minus's. Got picked up at airport by meet and greet and taken to our On Arrival Accommodation in Paradise. It a nice house, got 3 big bedrooms and a big bathroom, lots of spcae down stairs and a good kitchen. Only thing missing is the air conditioning. They provided 2 fans which were great for kids at a night. There is a covered park right opposite which the kids have really enjoyed playing on every night. We spent the rest of the day asleep. The day after we arrived we went into the City and activated bank account which we had opened whilst in UK, got medicare cards sorted and a sim card each for our phones. Hired a car, which we replaced a week later with one we brought.

We were originally looking to stay around Port Adelaide due to Husbands job. He got offered a job whilst in the UK which he took. When we arrived and met the man all was good Justin was going to start week after. But we been having a good look around at areas, places etc. Personaly I prefer the south. The area I concentrated on when we did our research for SS was Woodcroft. We had a drive down south and decided we would prefer to live there. Justin had seen a job in the paper for a job which was basically the same as he did in UK, same machine everything. He phoned up and was told they had someone in mind but to send his CV to them. We e-mailed CV and within half hour we had a call asking him for an interview. He went next day for interview and got the job. He starts on 16th, so he is looking forward to earning some money. We managed to secure a rental in Morphett Vale and we got the keys today. Moving in over next few days so really excited about that. Got new beds being delivered so will be able to sleep on something but will be living like squatters in the living room until our container arrives at the end of the month.

We have spent some money, we brought £10,000 which got us just over $17,500. It has all gone. Had to transfer some more over which has thankfully hit our account today.

All in all we are enjoying ourselves and everyone we met has been really nice.

Sorry if I gone on abit once I start talking/typing I cant stop.

Michelle

Guest Justme

Well done you have done really well in such a short space of time. We have been here now since 3rd December (we came out knowing no one here) and the time seems to be flying over so quick. We live at North Brighton in a rental - but will be looking to get somewhere else after our 12 months have finished here. Kids are both settled into school and I got a job in the city after 6 weeks :-) Husband has set up his own business to fit around the kids at school, so hopefully everything will fall into place fingers crossed. x

Guest JoTanCalOwen

Hi Michelle,

you have done well, and got so much sorted out, congratulations on your hubbys new job, you make it sound busy but easy !!

Lets hope it goes as smoothly for the rest of us when its our turn :)

Tanya

Guest markbevjake

Hi Michelle

Its Mark Bev and Jake from Wolverhampton. We had a few chats before you left about OAA which we didn't get.

We've (hopefully) managed to secure something for Monday when we arrive in Glenelg for a month or so whilst looking for a longer term rental.

We've been in Perth with relations for a couple of weeks getting used to the heat.

Glad to hear its going well and maybe drop us a PM to arrange a meet as a familiar accent would be good after the first couple of weeks.

Mark, Bev and Jake

Guest angiestaff
Oh dear, we were hoping to bring £10,000 and also hoping that it would last about 3 months!

:(

hi

i know the rate has changed a lot since we came (april 2009), (when we moved we had 10,000 english and that converted to $21,000) but with just me working that did last us until hubby started work in december and at our lowest point we were down to $1,600 (we paid $6000 for a car, bond, furniture as we came with none)

so it can be done and to be honest most of the time we didn't feel that we were scrimping on most luxury items (wine/meals out etc..). i know there's only the 2 of us and i'm not sure how far it would have gone with more mouths to feed but my hubby does have expensive tastes ;)

ange x

Wow guys, well done! Sounds like things are all falling into place for you. Justin getting a job just like that was incredible..........meant to be;)

Judi x

Great to hear about everything you've done so far Michelle. If you're living in the south then we'll hope to meet up with you soon after we arrive too, coz that's where we'll be settling (assuming we get the visa :biglaugh:).

Any way sound like you've been v busy but having a great time too - fab :D

Take care & keep us posted how you get on once Justin's back to work too,

Hazel xx

Guest Guest75

Congratulations on your first 4 weeks!!

Looks like all is going well - especially the job front.

So you are coming to live with us "Suvveners" :biglaugh:

I live next door to Woodcroft in Onkaparinga Hills - you'll see me around - can't mistake my reg plate;)

Guest needtogonow

Great to hear such a positive post on your first four weeks and congratulations!

Just over two weeks for us before we arrive and we can't wait! Thinking that we should be alot more nervous than this.

Bex.x

Guest Trakki

hi and congrats on the job and settling so well. To those that are worrying about money we came over with $8000 and no more and this lasted us for 4 weeks with some left over until I got my first pay and thats with 4 children, so it can be done if needs be.

We are in woodcroft so if we can help with anything, loan of things before your stuff arrives just shout.

Guest kangomik

:D great to see it's slotting into place early for you guys:D

For others, cut your cloth accordingly, take any job to get the cash comming in. You will burn cash for fun on arrival, so you need some comming in.

It's not easy, but it is do-able, and enjoyable.;)

Guest The Dimmocks

Thanks all for your posts. We have got a bit done, could have probably done it all in a day if hadn't had 3 little ones with us. The kids did get bored and tired the first few days, Georgina fell asleep in the bank when we went to activate bank accounts. We spent all of last week driving from the north east down south looking at rentals.

A little break down on what we spent our money on.

Car $9,500 plus all associated costs that come with it, driving licences, reg etc.

2 car seats and 1 booster seat $160

Amublance cover $115

Bond for rental $2,500

1 Queen bed and 2 Single beds $1,500

A little TV (it very little LOL), DVD player and Digi Box (had to get something for kids to watch).

We brought boys a booster seat for dinning room chairs, a sandwich toaster, tent for beach, folding chairs. Oh and lots and lots of money on MacDonalds. Been out and about a bit not good with litte ones as they always want feeding. We were down to our last $800 so didnt quite spend it all. We knew we were going to spend it, I like spending money.

We have recently accepted an offer on our UK house so hoping it goes smoothly. Couple buying have sold their house to first time buyers so only 3 in chain. Keeping my fingers crossed. Hoping to replace our savings.

For anyone who wants to see any pictures of what we been up to I am on facebook if you want to look me up. Michelle Dimmock and it a picture of me with a red christmas tree on my shoulder.

Michelle

Guest mayjess

Hi all, well because we have no house funds to fall back on we have no choice but to cut our cloth accordingly!!! we wont be buying a car for more than $5,000, we wont be buying any furniture, we will have to borrow, hopefully from you guys haha, and we wont be eating out (if it can be helped) so a very miserbale few mths ahead haha, all be worth it tho.

Mayjess

Guest The Dimmocks
Hi all, well because we have no house funds to fall back on we have no choice but to cut our cloth accordingly!!! we wont be buying a car for more than $5,000, we wont be buying any furniture, we will have to borrow, hopefully from you guys haha, and we wont be eating out (if it can be helped) so a very miserbale few mths ahead haha, all be worth it tho.

Mayjess

These last few weeks we have been taking sandwiches with us and finding a bench somewhere on a reserve.

If you need anything and we can spare it you more than welcome to borrow from us. Our container should be arriving tomorrow, was all still on schedule last week when went to pay customs money so hoping it will be with us before the end of the month.

Michelle

Guest The Dimmock Family

The Dimmock family would like to say a big hello to the Dimmocks!!!!!

What a coincidence eh! We have been here since 05 and living in Mclaren vale ever since!!! If we can help in any way just let us know and keep on enjoying it! (I didn't read all 3 pages of thread by the way so if its a bit off the mark just ignore me)

Dean - Occupational Therapist , Angela - Bank SA , Alyce - Med student at FMC

Guest katsmajic

Well Done Dimmocks. It settles, then goes mad again then settles...enjoy the ride.

Those coming over - we didnt have much money, no jobs and 4 kids...

a friend here recommended the lions centre in eden hills - theres some right crap there but also some great bargains to be had.

We got a car via the friend for $850, its still going strong, my lil red laser, 22 yrs old and starts 1st time.

It is bloody tough, but as said before cut your cloth accordingly, you know its gonna be hard work, it is worth it but it does take alot of ups and downs.

Allow for rental bonds/school fees/transport/furniture etc but also take the time out even if just with some chips etc and sit at the beach/park and chill/enjoy....and breathe.

Go to anything you are invited too - you will go spare just talking to each other and its good to chat with other folks who have been there/are there to share experiences or recommendations etc...even if just to get the kids running around to wear them out.

Out of everyone we know we've all agreed you dont always talk to each other about fears etc and it can end up quite snippy with each other etc if youre not getting to talk about your adventure/feelings.