Nightmare landlords

Guest Lisado

Guest Lisado

Hi all

We are having a horrendous time with our landlord. We movd into perfect place - had dinner with them - they brought us xmas pressies and then we complained about air con not working and the pool

We know they behaved about previpus tenants this way but they have accused us of breaking doors (and demanded money) killing garden (there wansnt one) having dust on wondowsill, toothpaste on mirror and even said we created a fire in the oven!

I am a very houseproud person and rent a property in UK and would never ever do this kind of thing

I am hurt and distraught at the whole idea

Any advice? We cant break our lease as I refuse to tgive this woman anymore money

Guest Lisado

I also want to say - when my lease runs out - Il will state to anyone moving into my area - never to rent of this woman as she has made the last 3 / 4 months of our lives here in Oz - hell

You should contact the Residential Tenancies Tribunal, OCBA - Contact us about Tenancies

and ask for their help. There are ways that both the landlord and tenants should behave and these are set down in the Act. You should have been given a copy of the booklet explaining the Residential Tenancies Act when you received the Rental Agreement and that may help you until you can seek further advice.

Guest Guest75

Sorry to hear this.

Such a shame after a good start.

Don't let it escalate - be in touch with the OCBA and work strictly within their guidelines.

Document everything you do.

Best of luck.......

Guest guest3462

Definately get in touch with OCBA, we had an issue with our landlord who said the house was filthy and uninhabitable after the final inspection the place was spotless and the estate agents had signed off as being fine! He refused to give us our bond back until we had painted the whole house and had his oilspill cleaned off the drive. We refused, I am not the kind of woman who just gives money to idiot landlords trying to make a quick buck.

We contacted OCBA and within 3 days we had our money in the bank. They are treally good and it costs you nothing.

Hope you get everything sorted.

JC x

Guest katsmajic

Not wanting to cause an issue here - but we have the same land lords - and they are marvellous, cannot fault them.

Had an issue with our aircon, he was round first thing the following morning and had it sorted.

Guest Lisado

We have had to them out about 8 times to fix the air con and they turn up with 5 minutes notice, once when we were all in bed and him on the roof. She turned really nasty about the pool afte rshe gave us incorrect advice!

Before Christmas, We mentioned there were kids fingermarks on the wall and if we could have the details of paint to paint walls for them and keep house fresh (which we did in UK) and they refused. She again complained about the marks last week and again we asked for the paint and she refuses

She basically just wants to keep our bond!

I have spoken to neighbours and they have confirmed she was the same before we moved in.

I cant understand why they have changed towards us.

I did contact Residential Tenancies Branch and they have stated we dont need to do anything until the lease ends and of course we wont be renewing and she has told us we can't - which is fine

We would move out tomorrow but of course we cant

Just had to have my rant and hope next 6 months hurry up and ge tover and done with. I do know she is not getting my bond!

Guest katsmajic

Dont know the in's and out's and dont want to - just know the previous tenants had really trashed the house and the landlords had the house totally refurbed for next tenants (you).

Didnt know the house had a pool?!

I was just commenting as we have no problems with them at all and find them to be very helpful/prompt/reliable.

2 sides to every story and im sure theres landlords out there that get berated unjustly....as do tennants.

Guest Teresa01

I think some landlords view the bond money as theirs to keep, we had issues when we were renting following our arrival.

But I will pass on some usual advice that we were given, at the end of your tenancy you can apply for the bond to be returned if you apply to OCBA directly following your final inspection, what happens is, they write to the landlord and if they want to deduct money they have to state the actual reasons why. If OCBA dont hear anything from the landlord within 10 days the money gets paid directly back into your account. We knew our landlord would try and make deductions (even though the house was very well kept), so beacause he had no clear reasons to make deductions, the full bond was returned. (see the OCBA website to download the form)

Good luck, I know how frustrating it is, but remember its your money, its not theirs to cover their expenses for fixing things.

Best of luck

Teresa

Just a thought, if they are making your life that miserable, if I were you I'd be looking for somewhere else to rent. So they might get a bit of extra money from you, but all the time you're there they are getting money from you and making your lives hell. So who's suffering? Certainly not her.

Start looking, and break your lease. That's what I'd do anyway. Life's too short to live it miserable.

Guest Lisado

The house was refurbished in parts (with seconds) and we have kept the house in the order we have rented it. The place is immaculate and we have even bought plants,e tc to try and improve the garden.

We have taken photos following advice from Tenancies Branch and pur neighbours are willing to write statements.

As for the previous tenants I believed what I was told but subsequently have found out this to be untrue.

This woman has gone from stating the house was like a show house and wa sin better conditionthan hers to the cmplete opposite and nothing has changed.

I was even off work though stres sof being so upset following her demands for payment for broken cupboard doors immediately into her aco****. (ther eisnt any and she hasnt been able to show us which ones she said were broken)

As for th epool - we aske dher if we could put one up for the kid's xmas presents and she said no problem as previous tenants had. We then found out we needed a fence etc and she said it wa sa new council bye law that had come into force this year - when I called Planning deparmtent it wasin force 1 October 2008. We didnt realise our pool needed a fence and she has turned nasty when I stated she should have known this for us and previous tenants - and that she doesnt understand all the legislation surrounding renting a property.

Thanks for all your advice - I think we need to see what happens in next inspection report and take it from there.

Is she an Aussie?I have never met so many wierd,cranky dour women in my life as i have since being here.Perhaps she has issues with her mental health(seems to be a lot of it about)

I would definitely break the lease ASAP,find somewhere else,as this stress you are going through will continue.We had exactly the same sort of stress and annoyance in our first Rental.Biggest regret was staying for 12 months,as we knew they would try and keep the Bond,and that is exactly what they did .Waited 5 months,going to tribunal,to get back what was ours.Stay clear of LJ of Glynde .Best of Luck.:huh:

Guest katsmajic

Err i think you'll find it is there for exactly that reason!

the whole reason for paying a bond is to cover any damages the tenant causes to the property, and some friends of ours who are landlords found the bond didnt come close to covering the clean up/repair costs on their rental in seaford rise when their tenants trashed the house...and they couldnt get any other money from the family except keep the bond - they went out of pocket by a cple of grand and ended up selling the house off as they got burnt twice by tenants.

Not all landlords are *******!

its not theirs to cover their expenses for fixing things.

Best of luck

Teresa

Guest katsmajic
Just a thought, if they are making your life that miserable, if I were you I'd be looking for somewhere else to rent. So they might get a bit of extra money from you, but all the time you're there they are getting money from you and making your lives hell. So who's suffering? Certainly not her.

Start looking, and break your lease. That's what I'd do anyway. Life's too short to live it miserable.

Totally agree Diane - we had friends who had a nightmare time of things due to landlord issues - they almost packed up and went back to the uk cos of it - i actually helped them out and went to the tribuneral people with them for support.

If something is affecting your life badly and you have the power to change that influence then you have to do it for your own sanity.

If you vacate and basically give 4 weeks notice/pay 4 weeks, cover the advertising costs etc, make reasonable attempts to fill the rental - a target which the tribuneral people regard feasible (to fill a rental within 4 weeks, if it cant be re rented within the 4 weeks it usually means somethings wrong with the rental and the tribuneral people will investigate further - rent too high or gross property etc).

The tribuneral guys are really nice and helpful - and can mediate if need be.

Theyre on the ground floor of the council building at collenades.

They also advise landlords etc.

Guest Guest75

Good luck, I know how frustrating it is, but remember its your money, its not theirs to cover their expenses for fixing things.

Best of luck

Teresa

That is why a bond is lodged Teresa - to ensure that the landlord can make good their property if the tenant has caused damage.

It is never theirs unless they have to effect repairs.:idea:

Guest Lisado

Obviously we pay bonds should there be any damage. I rent my home in UK and tenants have paid a bond.

However, my issue with this thread is - there is NO damage at all to the property. Like I said, when I asked the landlord which 2 doors I had broken, she could not show me. She was very patronising. She does not understand tenancy law and that any claims cannot be made until the lease expires. If there were any!

We are a highly professional couple and both work in areas of law - I can't see why we would want to damages someones property - we are at work all the time and hardly in property to do anything. She accepted us due to our professions and we even had to provide photosof ourselves before we go there so she could even see what we looked like!

I am seeking advice and not causing an issue - I get the impression I am being made to be a liar so I woul dinvite anyone on ehere to come into this property and see for themselves.

Some people I know hadn't taken a bond due to a friendship and that went pearshaped so - goes to show there are 2 sides to every story.

Our landlady invite dus to dinner, coffee, bought us xmas presents, hugged and kisse dme in the shops, told me of the glowing reporsts she had received by our neighbours - to suddenly changing.

We cant afford to break our lease at the moment as I have other personal issues to sort out first that is more of a priority to me.

I have come on here for advice and not to have an argument with other people - we have obviously a different oppinion and so be it. Just seem sthis particular property is jinxed.

This reminds me of why I dont post on here - my request fo radvice has started to turn into a slanging match

Guest back clan

Hi Lisado. We totally feel for you are know how distressed you have been from your landlords actions.

We have been to your house. IT IS SPOTLESS and you have nothing to worry about. Your landlord seems to be getting a kick from messing with you heads and the issues they have brought up are ridiculous

As a landlord if there is an issue with the property that you own it should be sorted out asap.

Most of us that move here are mature professionals and have come from properties that we own in the Uk and all we want to do is look after the properties that we are living in. That is one of the most frustrating things we find. We were so used to working on our house in the Uk that it's hard to sit back and not want to work on these properties.

All I can say is CHIN UP if the next six months go as quickly as the first you will soon be in another house and well rid!!!

Guest Teresa01
Err i think you'll find it is there for exactly that reason!

the whole reason for paying a bond is to cover any damages the tenant causes to the property, and some friends of ours who are landlords found the bond didnt come close to covering the clean up/repair costs on their rental in seaford rise when their tenants trashed the house...and they couldnt get any other money from the family except keep the bond - they went out of pocket by a cple of grand and ended up selling the house off as they got burnt twice by tenants.

Not all landlords are *******!

My meaning in relation to 'fixing things' was of property maintance, not damage caused by tenants.

It sounds as if you get on well with the same landlord and thats good for you, but it does not mean that others have the same experience as you.

The OP was asking for some advice and I gave her some information that was useful to me, I dont want to go into details but my landlord started off being very nice and ended up doing something very low, but I am not saying that all landlords are bad, its just important that both sides know their rights.

Its bl**dy hard moving to the otherside of the world and finding your feet. We have been shown huge amounts of kindness and goodwill from people on this site and since we arrived.

Lisado is having a tough time so even if you dont believe her for goodness sake give her a break and stop kicking her when shes down!

Obviously we pay bonds should there be any damage. I rent my home in UK and tenants have paid a bond.

However, my issue with this thread is - there is NO damage at all to the property. Like I said, when I asked the landlord which 2 doors I had broken, she could not show me. She was very patronising. She does not understand tenancy law and that any claims cannot be made until the lease expires. If there were any!

We are a highly professional couple and both work in areas of law - I can't see why we would want to damages someones property - we are at work all the time and hardly in property to do anything. She accepted us due to our professions and we even had to provide photosof ourselves before we go there so she could even see what we looked like!

I am seeking advice and not causing an issue - I get the impression I am being made to be a liar so I woul dinvite anyone on ehere to come into this property and see for themselves.

Some people I know hadn't taken a bond due to a friendship and that went pearshaped so - goes to show there are 2 sides to every story.

Our landlady invite dus to dinner, coffee, bought us xmas presents, hugged and kisse dme in the shops, told me of the glowing reporsts she had received by our neighbours - to suddenly changing.

We cant afford to break our lease at the moment as I have other personal issues to sort out first that is more of a priority to me.

I have come on here for advice and not to have an argument with other people - we have obviously a different oppinion and so be it. Just seem sthis particular property is jinxed.

This reminds me of why I dont post on here - my request fo radvice has started to turn into a slanging match

Yes,i agree .You perceive as i do.You are not alone in what you say.

Guest katsmajic

I did not call anyone a liar - i just stated we had the same landlord.

That they had been fine with us.

Stated i did not know what had gone on and didnt want to know.

I posted useful information regarding the tenancy tribuneral people as i had first hand knowledge of this.

And youve reminded me why i stopped coming on for a while last year!