Spouse visa info

Guest cunnah10

Guest cunnah10

Could anybody tell me if a SPOUSE VISA is granted .. then how long is it valid for BEFORE you would have to actually start LIVING as a resident in South Australia? Also could the visa be validated by just a holiday/visit to keep it valid for a bit longer?

Mine gave me a year from the date it was granted I think. I received my email 8th March 2008, and it said I had to enter Australia by 2nd Feb 2009. I think the few days adrift are to do with when they received the final bit of info for my application (think it was the meds).

The email you get to tell you it has been granted is very specific anyway, so that will be the date to go by, it will make it clear. Here is the text from mine:

I refer to your application for a Partner (Migrant) visa (Class BC). On the basis of your sponsorship by [ ], I am pleased to advise that you have been granted a subclass 100 visa.

The visa that has been granted to you requires that you first enter Australia by 2nd February 2009. This is called your initial entry date and is linked to the expiry date of your health and character checks.

It is very important that you and enter Australia by the above initial entry date, as this is a condition (8504) attached to the grant of your visas. It is not legally permissible for me to alter this date following visa grant. If you do not enter Australia by your initial entry date, the visa that has just been granted to you is liable for cancellation

Oh the other thing is that mine was processed very quickly. I think it only took about 6-8weeks because I had everything ready and in order to go together.

Edited to add- just checked. I had an email acknowledgement of everything received on 19th Feb. Approval notification was sent to me on 8th March. The only thing that was missing from the application was the police check, which took longer as there was a waiting time of a number of weeks for that, so I sent the rest of the application in, with a note that the police check was to follow.

That's right, so mine was a subclass 100 visa - thought I may as well quote it. Mine was for permanent residency straight away.

The other thing i remembered after posting earlier was that you have to come before your medical runs out, or you have to do the meds again. I think they are valid for a year but you have to check that. The timeframe given in the visa email I had refers to the meds and character dates. So best get the rest of the application ready first and do those just before you apply to give yourself a bit longer, if you want to get the longer date out of the visa?).

Guest cunnah10
You can't validate with a visit. Your spouse must enter with you or be here first as well. They usually give you 2 to 3 months I think before you have to arrive, so best be ready when you apply, as it could take months, weeks, or even days to process.

wow.. that quick !!! Thank you for the info !!

Guest cunnah10
I validated my provisional spouse visa with just a holiday within a year of it being granted and then I validated my permanent visa with another holiday, also within a year of it being granted I could then come and go for up to five years (I think).

Right.... more info !!! Thank you

Which subclass are you applying for, Gill? And how far have you got? I remember being so daunted by it, but when I sat down to get everything together it wasn't half as bad as I feared. The key is just being meticulously organised. Happy to help if you want any tips. Could also help with a pro-forma schedule showing you what sort of stuff I submitted for the schedule of docs if you want.

I'm not an immigraiton expert, just a retired (or resting, haha) lawyer!

Guest cunnah10
Which subclass are you applying for, Gill? And how far have you got? I remember being so daunted by it, but when I sat down to get everything together it wasn't half as bad as I feared. The key is just being meticulously organised. Happy to help if you want any tips. Could also help with a pro-forma schedule showing you what sort of stuff I submitted for the schedule of docs if you want.

I'm not an immigraiton expert, just a retired (or resting, haha) lawyer!

Thank you.... (I am already living in Adelaide with my OH & 4 kids)..it is actually my Brother in law who will be applying ... his partner of 4 years is an australian citizen (he's actually divorced). They have only just got the forms through the post so only at the very start of the application! They will probably go through an agent in the UK but I was trying to get some info for them also