Guest P00hbear

Prescription Charges?

Guest P00hbear

Hi all

Hope you can set me straight!...... I am looking into the cost of prescriptions for my husband who needs to take 3 different tablets for blood pressure and cholesterol. I have found that a prescription is 33.30... is this per item? In the uk he has to get a month at a time. Would this be the same...... could he potentially be paying 100 dollars a month for his medication? Is there a scheme for people that need medicines regularly? I have read about the safety net and am aware that we would pay a reduced rate after paying out just over 1200 dollars. I should say we are eligible for PBS on our visa.

I know that we can't wait to leave the UK and have just realised why so many people are flocking to this country to abuse NHS!

Obviously we will have to pay whatever the charges but need to be prepared for this!

Oooh I'll be interested to know this. I have long-term prescriptions to get too. Not looking forward to paying over the odds for it!

Guest Guest5035

i'm on cholestrol tablets, $31 a month, but i get a 20 gram tablet or whatever its called and chop it in half, which then gives me 2 months supply.

Stevo

Hi

I pay $15 for the atenolol(b.p tablet) n $ 35 for simvastatin / month. This is the generic, you'll pay more if you choose other brands I think.

Hope this helps.

The prices vary according the medication...and not all medication is available through the PBS scheme.

My husband is on 3 lots of different tablets...all available on the PBS scheme... 2 of them...cost around $35 each and the other is about $15 or so...so in his case he is paying roughly $80 a month for his medication.

On the other hand, my daughter has medication which is not covered under the PBS scheme, and that costs around $60!

It will vary....PBS has a site where you can find out if your medication is covered and what you are likely to pay

I'm on blood pressure pills and one other regular medication, hubby is on diabetes and cholesterol pills - we outlay about $120 a month all up. GP's usually give you a prescription with 5 repeats on it so you only have to go see them every 6 months for a new one, but you can only get the medication from the chemist once every 21 days (I think). So you can't 'stock up'.

If you are on a very low income you might be able to get a health care card and pay a lower price for your prescriptions without meeting the PBS threshhold. We are on a really low annual income but are just over the limit so still have to pay the full price.

As Concession card holders (pensioners) we pay $5.40 per item on the prescriptions drugs we have.

Sometimes it is cheaper to have a private (none PBS) script if the cost is less than the full charge.

If the cost of the drug is less than full PBS price then you only pay that charge. This can happen with many of the "generic" drugs. Many drugs cost way more than the $33 that the govt expect you to pay towards the cost.

The PBS safety net limit is per calender year and in spite of both of us getting around 3 scripts a month each, we never quite got there when we were paying non-concession prices.

Guest P00hbear

Thanks everyone - i have a much clearer picture now. I think I will get my husband to stock up before we arrive! Is it easy to register with a doctor? We will be living in the Blakeview area.

You don't have to register with doctors here. You can if you wish, but you can also go to a different doctor every time. It is up to you. Try visiting surgeries in the area to see if you like the set up and try a few different doctors. If you are phoning, ask if they bulk bill, as it is the cheapest way to be seen.

Guest aarenlainey

Prescription prices will be frozen this year - kind of what I was thinking considering there was a period of deflation in the past year...