Guest Vicks&Stu

The Great Ocean Road - Places to Stay?

Guest Vicks&Stu

Hi

My mum and dad are coming to Oz shortly and are going to take the great Ocean Road from Melbourne to Adelaide. I think they are going to take about 3-4 days to do the drive.

Friends have recommended Robe as one opf the places they should stay on the journey. We haven't done the trip yet so are unsure of where else would be good.

Does anyone have any tips for b&bs, hotels or nice little towns where they can stop to break the journey up?

Any ideas would be a big help.

Many Thanks

Vicks & Stu

Guest Aussie pat

We spent a week in a holiday let in Port Fairy in January. It's a gorgeous little town. Well worth an overnight stay. Probably one of the nicest towns from what we saw. More quaint than Warnambool and easier to get around. I'm not sure what your price range is but we stayed with Glenda at Moyne Wharf apartments and were right on the very picturesque wharf. Can highly recommend it. Lots of very nice looking accomodation available in many price ranges in the town. You can walk almost everywhere and leave your car at your accomodation.

when i done the G O R we just rocked up at a place,if we liked the look of it, we found a motel and stayed there the night!! nowhere is bad soyou cant really go wrong (but not on easter weekend as it will be hard to find a vacancy!)

Guest Vicks&Stu

Thanks guys.

Someone else has mentioned Port Fairy as well so I'll definitely get them to stop there.

My folks are coming end of May - so hopefully shouldn't be too busy as it's going to be cold, I have already told them to bring jumpers!!

Cheers

Vicks&Stu

Guest Vicks&Stu

Thanks - I'll be sure to give them a look. They may be glad of the indoor heated pool at the end of May!!

Cheers

Vicks&Stu

Guest dglamoore

We done this trip over xmas and new years and stayed in motels in Apollo Bay, Ocean Road Motel in port Campbell and Motor Inn at Robe - all of which were great places to stay. Port Campbell was beautiful and only 10 mins from 12 apostles etc so great base for exploring :cute:

Would definitely recommend the scenic helicopter ride over the coastline too if they are up for it!

Guest bentkitty

We stayed at Warnambool too - cool little town, lots of little B&Bs and a great model settler's village ...

We drove back from MB via the Grt Ocean Road, we stayed with Golden Chain in Warrnambool, 2 families, 2 rooms $210 (bargain!).

We also had one night in Robe at the Lakeview Appts at $350 for 2 rooms sleeping 4 in each. Its a lovely family ran accom, clean & overlooking the lake. Robe is small with stunning beaches, quiet & quaint.

Def. think about Port Campbell, Mt Gambier (Blue Lakes amazing), Torquay & Geelong.

Enjoy x

Guest Vicks&Stu

Thanks for all the tips - this is really helpful as i think my folks didn't really know where to start. The helicopter ride sounds really good - i am not sure whether they are daring enough or not for this, but i'll be sure to let them know that's it an option!

Thanks again everyone.

Vicks&Stu